Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2010, 14:30   #16

Boat: Cape Dory
Where to get a Winslow raft repacked (not at factory)

Hi folks, I hope this thread is recent enough to reopen.

I have a Winslow raft that is out of certification. The factory wants $900+ one way shipping to repack. I checked with a few saftey outlets and wasn't able tio find anyone who would quote me on a recertification of the Winslow. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

-M
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 14:51   #17
cruiser

I spent about $800 last year for my Winslow. My impression is that it's what it costs.
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 14:58   #18

Boat: J40 #33 since 1987
I did the big recert (6yrs) for my Winslow CCP 6 passenger in 2008 and it was $1150 (no shipping, but tax included). That included the cylinder mechanism replacement, and lots of other material. The basic recert was $425, but there is a lot of additional stuff after a few years. I do it every 3 years, since it is kept below, and I expect the next recert to be less expensive. Winslow now has a list of local repackers at http://www.winslowliferaft.com/auth_svc_mr.asp; Mine was done by Avalon Rafts in Wilmington, CA. Winslow requires special equipment from the factory for repack/recert.
sded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 15:09   #19

Thanks guys

I was hoping certification by an "unauthorized repacker" was possible . . .. Seems that Winslows cost about 2x what some others cost for recertification. I guess I'll just wait til the last minute and bite the bullet.

Thanks,

Matt
Old 01-06-2010, 15:32   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Sal's in Alameda, CA quoted me $600 for a Viking 4 man offshore raft.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 15:42   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Sal's in Alameda, CA quoted me $600 for a Viking 4 man offshore raft.
Yeah, $500 -$600 seems to get most rafts serviced and certified. Its the Winslow's that are expensive. Maybe there is a physical justification for the price difference but it seems like a scam to me -- I wouldn't be surprised if Winslow gets a kickback from it "authorized service centers" for each of the rafts they service.
Old 01-06-2010, 15:44   #22

Boat: J40 #33 since 1987
Sal's does Winslows too. Call him and ask why they are so much more expensive to repack.
sded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 15:49   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sded View Post
Sal's does Winslows too. Call him and ask why they are so much more expensive to repack.
Thanks. I will.
Old 01-06-2010, 16:53   #24
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Mambo, unless you have a commercial vessel or an insurance requirement, you are aware that "certification" is not required for your life raft?

If there's nothing physically wrong with the raft (seams opening, etc.) then it may pay to DIY on the repack, replacing whatever is outdated yourself. That may frighten some people, but after hearing the documented reports of scams and failures by a few bad eggs in the "authorized repack" business...there are more reasons than just money to DIY on this.

Although it will be interesting to hear why Winslows are higher priced. (Could just be they charge more to the resellers.)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 17:08   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Mambo, unless you have a commercial vessel or an insurance requirement, you are aware that "certification" is not required for your life raft?

If there's nothing physically wrong with the raft (seams opening, etc.) then it may pay to DIY on the repack, replacing whatever is outdated yourself. That may frighten some people, but after hearing the documented reports of scams and failures by a few bad eggs in the "authorized repack" business...there are more reasons than just money to DIY on this.

Although it will be interesting to hear why Winslows are higher priced. (Could just be they charge more to the resellers.)
Thanks, I do know that certification is not required. Originally, I thought that certification would be useful for an event such as one of the bermuda races or a rally. Beyond that, it seems like failure rates are @5% at 5 years and increase after that. So inspection generally seems useful. I don't think I have the skills to take it on (I'd probably be better off trusting it is okay as is). To that point, I understand that professional repackers have tools both to inflate the raft less harshly and also to vacume pack it (which apparently extends useful life significantly). One of the disappointments (in addition to the price) of the winslow inspection points, was that they were too far away to attend the inspection. I will definitely let you know what Sal's says. Winslow was totally unsympathetic when I contacted them last year.
Old 01-06-2010, 17:19   #26
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
I've been told that the cost depends on the age of the raft. They have a finite shelf life as do the contents inside. If the raft's reasonably new, then $300-400 is a good budget number. If you need to replace any contents (especially if it's SOLAS rated) the costs go up. If the raft fails the basic inflation test, then it's time for another raft. I've been told that rafts older than 10 years are probably going to fail bad enough that buying a new one is the only solution.

There have been news reports concerning criminal charges being brought against life raft service stations for faulty testing, theft, or other illegal acts. I've always tried to be there when the raft was unpacked and inflated. That way I get to see the condition and inventory the contents as well as ask questions. I try to be there when they pack it so that everything goes back in and they leave the sand and lead out.

Once you see all the stuff in the case, you realize that it takes experience and training to get it all back in, in correctly, and able to inflate when needed. Just as I'd never pack my parachute, I'd never pack my life raft. I don't have the training for either.