Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2018, 06:01   #16

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’
Re: Kerosene Lanterns

Interesting discussion, it seems strange that near the end of the second decade of the 21st century we are still talking about burning hydrocarbons on a fabric wick for light!
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 06:01   #17

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Anything that burns, produces CO. The more fuel burned, the more CO.
I’m not sure, but higher combustion temps may produce more CO?
Carbon Monoxide is produced when fuel is not completely burned which is more common at lower flame temperatures. Ensuring adequate air supply to the lamp/fuel is key to minimizing the production of CO, although it cannot be entirely eliminated/prevented. We have used Kero lamps for many years without difficulty but very carefully. Many do not realize that a wick is only intended to conduct fuel to a burner that, ideally, gets hot enough to fully vaporize the fuel without burning, or only charring, the extreme tip of the wick itself. I often see lamps with the wicks projecting above the arc of the burners which is improper and will result in incomplete combustion of the fuel and excessive production of CO and produce poor light (a very yellow/orangish flame indicates incomplete combustion). Moreover, to be effective, the charred ends of the wick should be trimmed routinely, if not daily, as fuel cannot "wick" through char very effectively.

Lastly, CO is slightly lighter than air so it is helpful to have vents in the overhead opened somewhat with Oil/Kero lamps/stoves in use. While one will loose some of the heated air, this exhaust will help discharge the CO. Lastly of course, one should have CO detectors to warn one if the CO concentration is becoming dangerous.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 06:10   #18

Boat: 39' Whitesell Ketch

I use a carbon monoxide detector in my boat.
WanderingStar39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 07:19   #19

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingStar39 View Post
I use a carbon monoxide detector in my boat.
We have several onboard and as a side benefit they will alert you to excessive hydrogen gas if your batteries are being overcharged.......
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 18:53   #20

Boat: Catalina 42

Those were the days, long ago, when I wanted to be just like Lin & Larry Pardey, kero lamps, the whole simple cruising scene. Now, LED lighting has improved the cruising life, furlers, electric windlasses and all the Nav aids have simplified and improved life aboard small ships. Just my opinion.
Amnesia II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 19:05   #21

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia II View Post
Those were the days, long ago, when I wanted to be just like Lin & Larry Pardey, kero lamps, the whole simple cruising scene. Now, LED lighting has improved the cruising life, furlers, electric windlasses and all the Nav aids have simplified and improved life aboard small ships. Just my opinion.
They will always be my heroes & I still want to be like them but I'd never cruise without an engine. I'm not crazy!
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 05:06   #22

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

I have a very old gimbal bulkhead lamp that has a little cover on which the soot condenses. I will be looking for more like it because I hate scrubbing overheads.

Carbon monoxide productiin, per volume of fuel, will be higher at lower burn temperatures and reduced oxygen consumption. So a very small pressure lamp will for the same amount of light put out less CO than a large wick lamp. Careful adjustment reduces smoking and soot and presumably CO as well. The temptation with wick lamps is to turn them up high but this is I'll advised.

When the boat must be closed up, much better to use LED lighting. No CO, no water vapor, no heat to speak of. You can DIY them crazy cheap, too. Just hook small LEDs in series with a 12v source and if they fizzle, use more of them next time or add a series resistor to limit current. Or buy fancy pants "LED drivers" that regulate the current. That's still pretty cheap. Ready made LED lights for 12v or other DC voltage are widely available online and when you figure how long they last compared to light bulbs they are still economical and don't drain your house bank as quickly either.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:32   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
As far as any long term effects, used kerosene lamps for light cruising SoCal for a year. I'm still going strong at 74 nearly 50 years later. Until Edison worked his magic, the Rockefeller miracle had almost every house in the world using kerosene for fuel 24/7/365. People's longevity wasn't great back then but it was other things that killed them than their kerosene lamps.
Same here, many a cold winter night on exercise in Germany sat in front of a kero heater and lantern listening to the HF hissing away to itself praying for dawn and some warmth from the sun. Oh and a full fry up from the field kitchen too.

I suppose there was some ventilation when we used tents despite our best efforts to keep the cold out, but the box body trucks were more substantial. Old salts would berate us if the wick and flame to high or not trimmed for optimal use.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 05:36   #24

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
I have a very old gimbal bulkhead lamp that has a little cover on which the soot condenses. I will be looking for more like it because I hate scrubbing overheads.

Weems & Plath have adjustable "Smoke Bells" that can be affixed to the bulkhead above an oil lamp. Another, and I think better, Smoke Bell is one that clips on to the top of the lamp chimney:

With the foregoing--and assuming the lamp is gimbled or hanging--(see Clip on Smoke Bells), the Bell remains above the lamp regardless of the angle of heel or roll of the boat. Note, however, that if the lamp is producing much soot, the wick is too high. Also, we have found that Hollowick Liquid Wax seems to be the cleanest burning lamp oil

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 12:59   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

All bulkhead mount gimbaled lamps need a smoke bell to keep the heat and soot off the overhead. Standard issue back in the old days.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote