Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2020, 16:44   #1

Boat: 2010 Leopard 46
Is life raft theft a problem?

I have just installed a new Viking 6 person life raft between my stbd sugar scoop and the davit (2010 Leopard 46 Cat). It is well secured with some strong nylon straps and custom welding. I can release it quickly if needed. But that means it could be stolen quickly as well. Is that likely to be a problem? I will be in Mexico (Sea of Cortez) Nov - April and then the S Pacific including for a few years.

Do I need a locking cable or metal strap? Or am I worrying about a non-problem?

thanks
Pat
Looking4Neptune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2020, 17:01   #2

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)
Re: Is life raft theft a problem?

I’ve not heard of life raft stealing while cruising in the Caribbean. I don’t think the common thieves are really interested in it, like they do with a dinghy and outboard. However, and to extend the life raft life I alway stow it inside when not cruising.
Old 25-09-2020, 17:19   #3

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

We had our boat in the Sea of Cortez for 9 years and the liferaft (initially a DBC 6 person raft, and then a Viking 6 person Rescue Pro) was never touched - nor was the dinghy which was mostly on deck or in the water hanging on a painter.

The liferaft is still attached while sitting in Marina Taina, Papeete. During the 9 years (2010-2019) in the Sea of Cortez, mostly in and around La Paz, theft from boats was rare - certainly no more frequent than theft from boats in Vancouver. And I have never heard of a liferaft being stolen - surprising in a way given their cost. But dinghy's are easier to get away with, have greater usability and are likelier easier to sell to a bigger market.

Being able to quickly deploy a liferaft seems quite important. Ours is strapped in a cradle with a Hammar hydrostatic release device that will release the raft if we are not able to, if the boat should sink. Otherwise, we expect to throw it off and step up into it.
Old 25-09-2020, 17:22   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

This reminds me of the thread on pfd’s on dinghys. People say they didn’t wear or carry pfd’s because they worried about theft. Nobody wears them anywhere (in the Caribbean). Therefore, no theft. The life raft is just an expensive lump on your deck. Not required by insurance. Who cares, don’t worry.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2020, 08:44   #5

Thing about life rafts is that many are nearly worthless when they reach their repacking date, they're expensive to ship, and there isn't any secondary market in cruising areas for used ones. So your potential theif would be risking getting caught for something that might have no value once you throw shipping in and which will be hard to unload, plus it's bulky and heavy and not self propelled like a dinghy. Makes no sense they would be a target.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2020, 09:17   #6

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

The only time I ever heard of a life raft being stolen was during a very large boat show that attracted a lot of cruising boats. The raft was stolen from a boat in a marina the last day of the show. Assumption is that someone attending the show took it then took off for an offshore passage. As redneckrob said, they're bulky and heavy and there's not much market for a used one.
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2020, 09:21   #7

Boat: Cal-40

I did read about the vessel that had their life raft repacked overseas and all seemed ok until the next service period when they got the call to come to the shop. It seems the previous shop had removed their raft and filled the fiberglass container with old rope so these folks were sailing around the world thinking they had a good raft but in reality........
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2020, 09:42   #8

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

Simple.... Chain it up when harbour.
Remove the chains offshore.
taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2020, 13:33   #9

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

My liferaft cradle came with a metal Strap incorporating a type of highfield lever that incudes a hole for a padlock when shut. I keep thAt always locked at the dock. Part of the leaving dock routine is to replace the padlock with a bight of cord to prevent the lever opening at sea. Pull the cord to allow the lever catch to open.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2020, 13:49   #10

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

The thing is, in my entire lifelong sailing career, i have only ever had 3 things stolen. One was an old but good set of musto oilskins i lent to a crew who was a guest of a guest ( from crewseekers) which disappeared with him; one was the gypsy taken from my old SL manual windlass( so i had to finally get around to the change to electric) ; and one was the atainless steel bar which Hinged & closed the gap across the 2 halves of my pushpit. ... still havent got around to having a replacement made For that.

All these items are only of use to other Boat owners & sailors.
Cheapskate miserable Amoral life sucking sons of b.... who are out there among us. So yeah, i would lock up your liferaft...
Thank you for the opportunity to get that off my chest. I do feel much better now....
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2020, 16:59   #11

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clivevon View Post
Thank you for the opportunity to get that off my chest. I do feel much better now....

Have some more gin
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2020, 16:16   #12

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

I do not trust anyone not to steal. Opportunity makes thieves of honest men.

In our neck of the woods, were it not for the nails they would steal the cross for firewood.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2021, 03:21   #13

Boat: Le Guen Hémidy, Lévrier de mer, 16 m / 53 ft, "AZAWAKH"
Send a message via Skype™ to Eric50

Hi everybody,

Our storage location is under the helmsman bench, which act as a removable cover when you need to access to the life raft container.

The removable part of the bench is locked with a padlock located underneath it while the boat is at harbor.

We do remove the padlock when we are about to sail and keep it as is until we come back for another long term docking.
Old 18-04-2021, 04:04   #14
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Is life raft theft a problem?

Methinks you worry too much..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2021, 09:18   #15

Boat: Norseman 447

Since my first boat in 1976, I’ve had a life raft on deck secured by plastic straps. I’ve never had anybody steal it, nor have I ever heard of a life raft theft. In fact, the only things that I’ve had stolen were: a flashlight out of the dinghy while on the beach for dinner and an anchor-marking float made of a small, good-quality fender. Once the dinghy floated away when the painter attachment broke, but was returned before I came on deck and noticed it was gone. Maybe I’ve just been lucky.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote