Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2022, 16:08   #1

is a liferaft obligatory on a Polish sailboat?

Dear fellow sailors,

I was wondering if it were compulsory for a Polish-registered sailboat to have a liferaft onboard. I have asked several agencies offering Polish registration, and a few sailors as well, but no-one seems to know (one would be surprised as to how many different answers one can get to a simple yes-no question), and the Polish Naval Administration does not really reply to direct requests.

Does anyone here know the answer, possibly with a link to an official statement regarding obligatory life-saving implements onboard a Polish vessel?

Thank you, all!! Sail safe, wherever you are.
DannyLaChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2022, 17:55   #2

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc
Re: is a liferaft obligatory on a Polish sailboat?

The Polish Yachting Assn manages the sailing rules and vessel surveys for Poland. I can't read Polish, but the link is in the name preceding, maybe give them a call.

On their web site you will find the requirements for sailing vessels. The PYA are affiliated members of World Yachting and so use their standards with local modifications .

As a general requirement, for racing yachts, (set by World Sailing), Cat 1 and 2 yachts must have a raft, and optional for Cat 3 and 4, not required at all or Cat 5. Rafts must be within service. There is dispute as to what maybe classified as a raft.

You might also phone the Polish Maritime Authority for confirmation.

Woo hoo my 1,000th post
Old 27-05-2022, 18:32   #3

Boat: Outremer 55L

If you are in the waters of your yacht registration country then you should follow the regulations for your sailing type as they can inspect you with their local resources. But if you are in foreign and perhaps far distant waters then you can safely ignore whatever standards you like as they won’t be enforced by the local authority. If you’re comfortable with whatever standard you are breaching.

In our case we are registered on the British Ship Register. It requires for vessels heading offshore (200+ nautical miles IIRC) a liferaft among other things. We are on the other side of the world and have no liferaft. No local authority can penalise us for not following our flag state, nor their own, regulations.

Sorry OP, doesn’t answer your question directly. Use Google Translate to read their regulations. Chances are that for offshore voyaging they will follow the international standards and require a liferaft.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2022, 19:45   #4

Boat: CS27, C&C25 half a lifetime ago

Yes, according to krzysztofkluza.pl
Region of operation 3 or 4; open sea or ocean.
5BTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2022, 03:38   #5
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
If you are in the waters of your yacht registration country then you should follow the regulations for your sailing type as they can inspect you with their local resources. But if you are in foreign and perhaps far distant waters then you can safely ignore whatever standards you like as they won’t be enforced by the local authority. If you’re comfortable with whatever standard you are breaching.

In our case we are registered on the British Ship Register. It requires for vessels heading offshore (200+ nautical miles IIRC) a liferaft among other things. We are on the other side of the world and have no liferaft. No local authority can penalise us for not following our flag state, nor their own, regulations.

Sorry OP, doesn’t answer your question directly. Use Google Translate to read their regulations. Chances are that for offshore voyaging they will follow the international standards and require a liferaft.

True outside your flag registration waters the rules can’t be enforced however the rules of the territorial waters you are in can be enforced of course.
Old 28-05-2022, 04:17   #6

Thank you all, people, these are (finally) some bits of constructive information. A good site, this is.
Old 28-05-2022, 20:39   #7

I`me speechless... I wouldn`t have left the dock without a dinghy
beg all your pardons but.....
arcticmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2022, 22:30   #8

Hello from Poland,
Here is official ordinance from ministry:
https://isap.sejm.gov.pl/isap.nsf/do.../D20120326.pdf
All the requirements starts from page 6.
Emergency measures: pneumatic liferaft for all people onboard. Two lifebuoys - one with floating light and pole with flag, second with at least 15 rope. Lifejackets for all people onboard. This equipment have to meet standards written in this ordinance (page 7)
There is more than obligatory emergency measures equipment, for ex. barometer or binoculars.

BUT

First page, first chapter "§ 2. 1. Przepisów rozporządzenia nie stosuje się do"
and then "3) jachtów rekreacyjnych o długości do 15 m, które dobrowolnie nie poddały się inspekcji; "

This means
"§ 2. 1. Exempted from ordinance regulations are
3) recreational yachts up to 15 m in length, which have not voluntarily submitted to inspection"

If shipowner of recreational yacht feel the urge for official inspection he/she can inform PYA, pay for inspector accomodation and travel. Inspector will check everything and shipowner will get official document "Orzeczenie Zdolności Żeglugowej" - Statement of Seaworthiness

Commercial yacht is not recreational yacht. So if you charter it or people pay to sail with you, you have to follow ordinance.
Hubert79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2022, 23:14   #9

Boat: Vancouver 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post

Woo hoo my 1,000th post

Both thanks, and congratulations!
sepharad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2022, 12:47   #10
Marine Service Provider

If this is an old "Polish" joke they are not woke anymore.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2022, 08:31   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubert79 View Post
Hello from Poland,
Here is official ordinance from ministry:
https://isap.sejm.gov.pl/isap.nsf/do.../D20120326.pdf
All the requirements starts from page 6.
Emergency measures: pneumatic liferaft for all people onboard. Two lifebuoys - one with floating light and pole with flag, second with at least 15 rope. Lifejackets for all people onboard. This equipment have to meet standards written in this ordinance (page 7)
There is more than obligatory emergency measures equipment, for ex. barometer or binoculars.

BUT

First page, first chapter "§ 2. 1. Przepisów rozporządzenia nie stosuje się do"
and then "3) jachtów rekreacyjnych o długości do 15 m, które dobrowolnie nie poddały się inspekcji; "

This means
"§ 2. 1. Exempted from ordinance regulations are
3) recreational yachts up to 15 m in length, which have not voluntarily submitted to inspection"

If shipowner of recreational yacht feel the urge for official inspection he/she can inform PYA, pay for inspector accomodation and travel. Inspector will check everything and shipowner will get official document "Orzeczenie Zdolności Żeglugowej" - Statement of Seaworthiness

Commercial yacht is not recreational yacht. So if you charter it or people pay to sail with you, you have to follow ordinance.

Very many thanks, Hubert79!! I have been forwarded the same list of rules this morning from @reja24.gov.pl

link to rules: https://portal.reja24.gov.pl/documen...=1649935025280

This is the same info from two different sources. I guess the question is herewith answered.

Thanks, everyone, take care, enjoy life!

Daniel
Old 06-09-2022, 01:26   #12

Boat: CARABELA 650, previous Colvic Springtide 24 - modified

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyLaChance View Post
Dear fellow sailors,

I was wondering if it were compulsory for a Polish-registered sailboat to have a liferaft onboard. I have asked several agencies offering Polish registration, and a few sailors as well, but no-one seems to know (one would be surprised as to how many different answers one can get to a simple yes-no question), and the Polish Naval Administration does not really reply to direct requests.

Does anyone here know the answer, possibly with a link to an official statement regarding obligatory life-saving implements onboard a Polish vessel?

Thank you, all!! Sail safe, wherever you are.
NO, as long as your boat is registered under present law, is less than 15 m long (the bare hull only, not LOC!), for private pleasure use and you do not by your own will accept technical inspection.
Basically the registration in Reja24 Polish register is a lifetime, not renewable and no any technical / safety inspections required. I'm free to help with this.
Old 06-09-2022, 02:59   #13

Boat: X442

Though regardless of the legal requirements, isn't a liferaft kind of a no brainer in terms of essential kit? Even when doing coastal cruising... And for coastal cruising a pretty cheap light weight model would do anyway.
HeinSdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 04:50   #14

Boat: Riva 48

There are a few concerns here. First, what the boat is rated for. For example, here is Bulgaria, the vessel can be rated for up to 2 nm from harbor (Cat 1), up to 20, 60, 200 and over 200 nm (Cat 5). A life raft is required above 2 nm. There are other considerations, for example if sailing in the winter you need to have thermal suits for everyone on board (this can get more expensive than the life raft), otherwise your rating drops to 2 nm. The chances that you will get inspected and fined are very small, though, especially for non-commercial service.

Second, it is what the insurance company will say and if you are exceeding your rating, you will get nothing from the insurance company. That is the biggest consideration in my mind.

Third, it is the actual safety and risk tolerance of the captain and the passengers who have put their lives in the hands of the captain. That is a personal decision related to evolution considerations (Darwin).
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 15:24   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by krismatski View Post
NO, as long as your boat is registered under present law, is less than 15 m long (the bare hull only, not LOC!), for private pleasure use and you do not by your own will accept technical inspection.
Basically the registration in Reja24 Polish register is a lifetime, not renewable and no any technical / safety inspections required. I'm free to help with this.
Thank you, Kris! I see you are well informed. I will get back to you when it comes to flagging — I am still sawing bits of pavement at the moment, it's a complete renovation, so it might be a while.
Thanks, man!!

Tags
boat, liferaft, sail, sailboat