Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2018, 10:27   #121

Boat: Nordic 44
Re: Intruder in the Middle of the Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorladd View Post
That was always a great concern when I cruised and I decided to carry a crossbow on my boat with a bunch of little hunting arrows... it is perfectly legal, is not regarded as a firearm in any country, and deadly effective used in fairly close range... (they can be accurate quite a ways) but if that young man had seen you wielding one you can be sure it would be as effective as a gun.... Oh, and flare guns make a helluva close range weapon too lol...maybe a taser??
Crossbows are not legal in some U.S. States.

I always laugh at the idea that a flare gun is a viable weapon. Too much Hollywood. A flare has no mass and will likely bounce off the intruder. Maybe it will burn them, maybe not. More likely it will bounce off, land on deck and ignite your fiberglass hull. The movie dead calm is more of a comedy than it is a horror film.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 11:20   #122
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

" I decided to carry a crossbow on my boat with a bunch of little hunting arrows... it is perfectly legal, is not regarded as a firearm in any country,"
Surprise, in the US it is a firearm.
While laws vary in each state, there are many where a firearm is defined as pretty much "any device using stored energy to fire a projectile" and specifically, a cross-bow is what the English have called a "spring gun" for many centuries.
Spring, compressed gas, rubber bands, explosive powder, electric rail gun, it doesn't matter what the "stored power" is, nor what the projectile is. It's still a weapon, and a gun.
Usually regulated differently than a Gatling gun...but people are often surprised to find out that a Gatling gun is NOT an automatic weapon, it is normally regulated as a single-fire rifle, because there's nothing automatic about it. You are successively loading, firing, and reloading the gun as you keep manually pulling the crank.
And yes, in NYC you can and will be arrested for possessing a flare gun, unless you can convince Officer Friendly that you are coming or going directly from your boat or the chandlery that just sold it.
While there's video out showing exactly what will happen if you attempt to fire a standard shotgun shell in a 12g flare gun, there are also plenty of easily made adapters that will allow a flare gun to fire a pistol cartridge. I'm pointing a flare gun at you. Wanna come up close and see what kind of load is in it? Really? It's still a GUN, just ask any uniform in Bermuda.

Game wardens and conservation officers are especially quick to arrest you for possession of a crossbow, because it is so much quieter and more effective for poachers.

It is dangerous to make blanket assumptions about weapons laws, anywhere.

In one of the Carib islands (Barbados?) you'll get arrested simply for wearing any type of camouflage clothing, even Army-surplus t-shirts, because the government their "knows" you might be a rebel.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 11:32   #123

In the early 70's Winnebago ran convoys of. motorhomes through Mexico. Personal defence was a big issue so they ran a contest. It had 2 parameters:
1 Must be legal everywhere
2 preferably required equipment

Lots of ideas, most illegal, ie guns of any sort, or impractical, ie bucket of burning oil.

The winner was a CO2 fire extinguisher. It is required by law and insurance companies to have a fire extinguisher on board most boats with cooking facilities, inboard fuel tanks etc.

Now if the bell (think blunderbus/scatter gun) doesn't deter them and you have to use it, easy for police to find the perp, after all in 80F weather how many cases of frostbite will the hospitals see?
It works, have seen in action by a motorhome owner, and the intruders in the middle of the night were local police, no flashing lights, siren, it's the police, just pounding on the door.
Luckily the occupants in the motorhome weren't trigger happy.
Officers didn't learn however. Two weeks later, same place, middle of the night again, same pounding on the door. This time a disguised gold transport. Wasn't extinguishers this time, M16s, six of them, legal.

Have to be careful though whatever method, I have seen idiots to embarrassed to admit to swimming back to the wrongful boat etc.

Just because you only SEE one swimmer don't discount more, or boat out of sight just waiting.

Good Cruising, be safe
cyborg054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 11:37   #124

I've have been watching a TV program about a chap who did a near miss shot all be it in America he got thirty years they reckoned if he had been really scared he would of shot to kill. He wouldn't please bargain crazy system. This reminds me of a book I think it was slocum who put big drawing pins on his deck at night reasoning pirates had bare feet. He heard ow ow splash one night. I've heard straight cayeen pepper in the prowlers eyes brings them down to earth pretty quick . But make sure your up wind or you could take yourself out.
samfreeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 11:44   #125
Marine Service Provider

Boat: home built 31' Hartley Tasman

When I sailed in the mid eighties it was legal to carry a fire arm in most places... but I chose a cross bow because it was not regarded as a firearm and I knew it could be declared with it being confiscated... BTW I never cruised around the US mainland, but the Caribbean (from South Africa) through the Panama canal and around the Pacific and Hawaii ( I always declared it and never had a problem.... if you are cruising around the world it is the boat owner/skippers duty to protect himself his crew and his boat, whichever way possible, and he should choose his destinations wisely... If we were all petrified of breaking a few bylaws etc.. maybe it is safer to remain on land in a secure neighborhood....yes, I sound cavalier, and I think one needs to be a bit cavalier doing that...
sailorladd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 11:59   #126

It's the kind of situation I hope to never find myself in. I've heard guns are a hassle on boats know with paper work dropping them off at the local police station and having to return to pick them up in some country's. After peter blake died trying to protect his crew with a gun that had siezed up I guess you would have to keep them clean and operable. Depressing really. But it could happen anywhere I guess. But some places more than others. Be careful out there...
Old 30-07-2018, 12:15   #127

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

Here's my problem, IF I wish to remain totally legal and not have a fire arm onboard, what about the intruder who doesnt care what the law says and carries a gun?

Ah I know. My obituary will read, "He died legally."
Old 30-07-2018, 12:28   #128

Boat: Caliber 47

The fellow simply called out to his wife for a non existent gun.....guess Im confused over the lecture!
Caliber40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 12:39   #129

Boat: Lagoon 380 #288

I think RamblinRod had it figured out correctly. This Spring 2018 in the anchorage off Basseterre, St. Kitts, a catamaran was boarded by an undetected swimmer who took computers, phones and wallets. The thief then left on their dinghy and the dinghy was abandoned on the north shore of the bay. So thieves do swim to their victim's boats. First, thank goodness Rod had a dog, as barking and growling are a great deterrent. Next, thugs who board boats are desperate and can do bodily harm. Trust your gut, boaters! All this political correctness does not belong aboard a boat
vyc2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 12:39   #130
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

If you have ever used a dry powder fire extinguisher...that will do a nice job of discomforting anyone who gets sprayed in the face up close with it. Not quite bear spray but it certainly will leave an impression. Perfectly legal. There are many perfectly legal things that can be carried across borders, legally, that still are not meant to be sprayed in the face.

Being below decks, confined spaces, long distances...all complications but that's life.

Intruders with guns are less likely than machetes, since the guns are expensive and illegal for them as well. The machete can be easily replaced, and won't get them a long jail sentence. And is still intimidating enough.

And when all else fails...maybe a tourist should ask themself "If it isn't safe for me to be there, maybe I should go to a nicer place?"

Hollywood never asks "Okay, what do I do after I shoot?" but any beat cop will tell you that's why they are carrying a throw-down piece, to make sure they can say "It was self defense." Funny thing about that.

Oh, wait, no, in the real world they'll never mention that, they'll never even think about doing it.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 12:41   #131

It's a good ploy that's been used before the last guy I heard of doing it yelled pass the AK apparently AK is a universal language every country knows. It's a bit like that in NZ almost like they don't want you to defend yourself just die quietly and they will get justice for you afterwards.
Old 30-07-2018, 13:16   #132

Boat: 38' self built cutter (1990)

For some reason, I always cruise with one of my big Belgian Malinois - sometimes two.
Visarend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 13:44   #133

Boat: Rafiki 37

Once again folks, we're talking about an incident that happened in Canada, one of the safest countries, in the Thousand Islands, one of the safest regions. This is not some third-world area of desperate poverty, or an area ripe with violence. This IS an area ripe with immature boaters though.

All you 'shoot first and ask questions later' people will most likely have killed a kid involved in some stupid youthful prank. Congrats.

... Seriously, some of you need to get out and experience the real world. It's not nearly as scary as the TV makes it out to be.
Old 30-07-2018, 13:59   #134

I have a wooden boat I could get an electric fence unit they use with cows and electrify the stantions and wires. The only problem is I would forget I'd turned it on and get myself and guests.
Old 30-07-2018, 14:06   #135
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
All you 'shoot first and ask questions later' people will most likely have killed a kid involved in some stupid youthful prank. Congrats.

... Seriously, some of you need to get out and experience the real world. It's not nearly as scary as the TV makes it out to be.
JoeRobertJr is online now   Reply With Quote