Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2018, 11:35   #76

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Intruder in the Middle of the Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Mike,

How’s the weather up in Newfoundland? It’s awful here in Maine.
Kinda sucks right now. We’ve had four days of near-gale winds, and unseasonably hot/humid temps. Rain for days, with more to come.

Still, it’s better than being in the office . And best of all, no nefarious boarders to threaten to shoot.

That said, we did have a local grab our dingy without asking yesterday.

The painter had chafed and the dingy was on the beach. This local saw it from across the bay. He first walked over and tried to row it back to us (in 30 knots of wind). When that failed he walked all the way back, got out his fishing dory, pulled our dingy off the beach and brought it to us … all without asking for permission to touch my stuff.

Amazing the audacity of some people .
Old 26-07-2018, 11:44   #77

Boat: 1980 Southern Cross 39

2 oclock in the morning is an odd time to be out for a swim.
philiosophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 11:47   #78
cruiser

Yikes! Pea soup fog, cold and rainy for the past week here. Now we have cloudy cold and windy 30 knots continuous. Our dinghy is up on davits to keep the Maniacs away.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 12:05   #79

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddan1943 View Post
No gun, willing to give tours to people on the dock.
Late one night, I was sound asleep in the stateroom. During the night, I was broken into, my wallet, with money and charge cards, driver's license etc.
I bought a 12ga pump, went to the office and told, no more tours, tell folks; "There's a crazy old man with a 12ga shotgun, living on the boat. If he catches you on the boat, you are not leaving via the dock. You will leave via the water." Never again, bothered. End of story.

Was it worth it?
Jammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 12:11   #80

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Perhaps Iím not making myself clear Ö in this location, at this time, in these circumstances: 90% (or higher) benign.

Location does matter. Perhaps if it happened in SW Florida the appropriate response is to threaten gun violence. I donít know Ö I donít live there. And if that is the appropriate response, I certainly wouldnít want to live there.

I do know the area the OP is talking about. I have spent many weeks anchored likely in the same spot. As I keep saying, it is very unlikely this kid was even contemplating theft, let alone violence.

I donít know what my response would have been in the same circumstances, and Iím not faulting the OP for his choice. I may have done the same thing; adrenaline and grogginess do not lend themselves to rational responses. But this is sober second thought time. In the cold light of day the facts suggest this was an idiot out for prank.
So, in your estimation, for that location, 10% of the time, milk and cookies is not the appropriate response.

I hope your complacency doesn't come back and bite you.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 12:12   #81

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by philiosophy View Post

Depends on the purpose and intent of the swim, maybe.
Old 26-07-2018, 13:34   #82

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Kinda sucks right now. Weíve had four days of near-gale winds, and unseasonably hot/humid temps. Rain for days, with more to come.

Still, itís better than being in the office . And best of all, no nefarious boarders to threaten to shoot.

That said, we did have a local grab our dingy without asking yesterday.

The painter had chafed and the dingy was on the beach. This local saw it from across the bay. He first walked over and tried to row it back to us (in 30 knots of wind). When that failed he walked all the way back, got out his fishing dory, pulled our dingy off the beach and brought it to us Ö all without asking for permission to touch my stuff.

Amazing the audacity of some people .
Hey, Mike, thanks for the lovely "kindness of strangers" story.

I have just a few comments here, and I wasn't there when the incident being written about occurred. Alcohol and other drugs seem to be commonly shared and certainly do affect behavior, so one has little reason to assume the person trying to come on board uninvited has your best interests at heart.

Someone just hanging onto a fender might be a tired swimmer, but is likely not armed. When they're naked, you can see whether or not they have a weapon. No harm, no foul.

Ann
Old 26-07-2018, 14:33   #83

Boat: Formosa 41

Here’s a good one:

California teen wakes up couple to ask for Wi-Fi code as he burglarizes their house, police say | Fox News

Maybe the guy was going to ask for ramblinrod’s wifi password.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 14:38   #84

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by philiosophy View Post
Night Swimming -often nude- is a well known activity after having just one drink more than the other fools on that party.
Done that many times in my life, just like other foolish things. 2am is the perfect time for this! Obviously you missed some fun in your life.

It's a different situation if it's in a party location without safety issues or in an area with known safety issues like some poor Caribbean islands.

I think he was over reacting but no harm was done and i don't see an issue. He just showed a very unwelcoming attitude so failed to make new friends.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 15:09   #85

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddan1943 View Post
No gun, willing to give tours to people on the dock.
Late one night, I was sound asleep in the stateroom. During the night, I was broken into, my wallet, with money and charge cards, driver's license etc.
I bought a 12ga pump, went to the office and told, no more tours, tell folks; "There's a crazy old man with a 12ga shotgun, living on the boat. If he catches you on the boat, you are not leaving via the dock. You will leave via the water." Never again, bothered. End of story.
I failed to mention, prior to this, both dock boxes broken into and an electric scooter stolen.
I was getting ready to go north to my parent funeral and had about $500 cash and all my credit cards, driver's license in the wallet.
Before I woke, they had bought gas at the first gas station close by. AND they bought premium gas!!! Called the police. No luck.
Condo complex found my wallet in the bushes with my DL. Used my passport to retrieve my wallet.
Old 26-07-2018, 15:26   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
So, in your estimation, for that location, 10% of the time, milk and cookies is not the appropriate response.

I hope your complacency doesn't come back and bite you.

Your two options were 50% or 90%. I choose the largest, adding "at least" to signify I would normally choose a higher ratio.

I get it... You live in a more dangerous, violent society that I. Your response is conditioned by your environment, as is mine. The main takeaway is we're talking my environment, not yours.

If someone were to pose the same scenario, but based in SW Florida, I would have little to say. Perhaps you should consider this when talking about areas you seemingly have little experience with.
Old 26-07-2018, 15:34   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Hey, Mike, thanks for the lovely "kindness of strangers" story.

Thanks Ann. As you know better than most, my story is more the norm than the ones about nefarious characters set to do you harm. Yes, there are bad people out there. And yes, we all need to be on guard against them. Naivetť has rarely been something I've been accused of.

I find you generally get back what you put out. If your attitude is generally open and friendly, the world will reflect this back to you. And if it is guarded and suspicious, this too will be returned to you.

It's up to you how to live your life.
Old 26-07-2018, 16:56   #88
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Agreed, which is why I said I donít mean to second guess Ö I donít. And I have no idea how I would have responded; perhaps not dissimilar to you.

But you did post the scenario, obviously with the intention of further digesting the event. Otherwise, why post it on a forum?
Actually, I posted it to warn others to be ready for such an occurrence, even if they believe they are in an affluent area with people having expensive boats, and spoiled children.

In actual fact, I suspect the person in question was none of the above.

Anybody who is knows you donít walk into someoneís house or try to board someoneís boat uninvited. It just isnít done.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 17:02   #89

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Your two options were 50% or 90%. I choose the largest, adding "at least" to signify I would normally choose a higher ratio.
It wasn't multiple choice, pick any number you like. Remember, the higher the number without supporting evidence, the more ridiculous you sound.

Quote:
I get it... You live in a more dangerous, violent society that I. Your response is conditioned by your environment, as is mine. The main takeaway is we're talking my environment, not yours.

If someone were to pose the same scenario, but based in SW Florida, I would have little to say. Perhaps you should consider this when talking about areas you seemingly have little experience with.
But yet, you continue to know all about my environment....

Try reading what you write sometime.

Quote:
Kinda sucks right now. Weíve had four days of near-gale winds, and unseasonably hot/humid temps. Rain for days, with more to come.
Enjoy your sailing paradise!
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 17:09   #90
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
It wasn't multiple choice, pick any number you like. Remember, the higher the number without supporting evidence, the more ridiculous you sound.

But yet, you continue to know all about my environment....

Try reading what you write sometime.

Enjoy your sailing paradise!
Why are you so bothered by someone else’s opinion? Jeekers... let it be.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote