Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2018, 17:04   #31

Boat: Mirage 33
Re: Intruder in the Middle of the Night

Rod,
At 2am Im sure I would do what you did. During the day I might be more circumspect.
Timing is everything.
Peter
pmclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 17:08   #32

Boat: 1984 Hunter 27

Only two people knew he was there, You and him. What's the problem. A flare gun fired square at his chest would have gone a long way to disable him
finefurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 17:47   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
In any "stand your ground" state in the U.S.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Ach, great places to AVOID.

Armed idiots using the "law" to cover their dumba**es for criminal behavior.

Just ask Trevor Martin.

Oh, sorry...you can't.

There's yet another use for a BUCKET: fill it and pour it on him once you've determined he's not your new BFF.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 17:48   #34

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by finefurn View Post
Only two people knew he was there, You and him. What's the problem. A flare gun fired square at his chest would have gone a long way to disable him

Seriously? I think he handled it well enough. Do you really think there was a need for such action?

Paul.
GRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 22:21   #35

Boat: Catalina 470

I've been boarded three times. Twice they have come into the boat and stolen things. The last time ended in a fist fight on deck at 2am. I now have security bars on hatches and companion way, Ikeep nothing on deck. I sleep very well with this arrangement.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 22:24   #36

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by finefurn View Post
Why? Totally unnecessary that could end with unintentional consequences.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 23:37   #37

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

We've been thinking about security for a while regarding our upcoming go-around, a bit more than most maybe...we're doing the whole Youtube series, and our schtik (sp????) is that we're a polyfamily with three kittens...3 cats, 3 queers is our tagline for gods' sake! From traveling all my life I know there are MANY additional risks with being LGBT in some of the places we want to go, and a boat name (with maybe advertising on it as well) at anchorages it takes about 5 seconds to pull us up online. So we've been thinking a lot about how to protect ourselves. Along the lines of:
1) Old school stuff like common sense, not being a target, raising the dinghy every night, anchor watches in sketchy places
2) Sound barrier on the mizzen as well as inside, remote activated. Makes a noise that will make you puke and run, in that order, with strobe...very cool.
3) An assortment of wasp killer spray. Considering bear spray. Flare guns.
4) Last line of defense (pictured): I told the girls go get whatever weapons you think you can handle for your last stand. My Russian came back with sensible, wicked, matching machetes for me and her. My little purple-haired mexican philosopher? A damn Lord of the Rings sword. I suppose when I grind the blade up it could give someone a good poking Or maybe they'll just die laughing....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180724_093704-01.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	455.7 KB
ID:	174283  
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 01:37   #38
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
In any "stand your ground" state in the U.S., you would be up all night doing paperwork having just eliminated another parasite.

Nobody goes for a swim at 2 A.M.
Wow, mandatory death penalty without trial for (probably) being a bit drunk and stupid. No wonder Florida is full of old people, all the young ones have been killed by trigger happy gunslingers.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 02:27   #39

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
Wow, mandatory death penalty without trial for (probably) being a bit drunk and stupid. No wonder Florida is full of old people, all the young ones have been killed by trigger happy gunslingers.
Murica
Seriously fked up people going on world happenings and comments here.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 02:30   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

this happens all the time on the land,convictions for B&E are at about 7%.

police just don't have the resources to investigate.

so i would use a spear gun with a tether that way the individual can be tied to the back of the boat for identification later or towed to deeper water for disposal...............
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 03:10   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
... Just ask Trevor Martin.
Oh, sorry...you can't...
Or Michael McGlockton.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 04:37   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Just ask Trevor Martin.
Actually, that case had nothing at all to do with "stand your ground." The press talked about it ad nauseum, but the defense never mentioned it and it went to court as a straight-up, ordinary self-defense case.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 05:11   #43
cruiser

Either I’m seriously mellowing after eight years of cruising or We’re choosing much better places to drop our anchor than most of the respondents to this thread. Worrying about intruders is quite far down the list of concerns. A smile and a greeting go much farther in our neighborhoods than a “get the gun.”
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 05:28   #44

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Either Im seriously mellowing after eight years of cruising or Were choosing much better places to drop our anchor than most of the respondents to this thread. Worrying about intruders is quite far down the list of concerns. A smile and a greeting go much farther in our neighborhoods than a get the gun.
It's not about being mellow or not.....I'm the most mellow person you could ever encounter. But the way I protected myself while backpacking to 80 or more countries is by not having anything worth having. Some places I walked into on foot literally carrying a plastic grocery bag with some shirts and undies and a tooth brush and not much else But I realize that just having a boat, however beat up, means I am visibly rich to 99% of the population in any offbeat place. I agree, an equal 99% of my encounters were benign and awesome, but that other 1% were not (think 2 meter tall drunk neonazi in Siberia, Serbian trying to break into my VW with a weapon, with me in it) and with a little mechanical aid or two I offer a good match for most anyone. With two women on board that rely on me for protection to a large extent as well, plus the whole homophobia thing, I can't be too careful.

In the words of the immortal 21st century poet Ninja of Die Antwoord, be nice, or I change to be ugly. And I'm not gonna confine my cruising to only the "safest" places, at least not while I have the strength to swing a machete
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 06:14   #45
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
It's not about being mellow or not.....I'm the most mellow person you could ever encounter. But the way I protected myself while backpacking to 80 or more countries is by not having anything worth having. Some places I walked into on foot literally carrying a plastic grocery bag with some shirts and undies and a tooth brush and not much else But I realize that just having a boat, however beat up, means I am visibly rich to 99% of the population in any offbeat place. I agree, an equal 99% of my encounters were benign and awesome, but that other 1% were not (think 2 meter tall drunk neonazi in Siberia, Serbian trying to break into my VW with a weapon, with me in it) and with a little mechanical aid or two I offer a good match for most anyone. With two women on board that rely on me for protection to a large extent as well, plus the whole homophobia thing, I can't be too careful.

In the words of the immortal 21st century poet Ninja of Die Antwoord, be nice, or I change to be ugly. And I'm not gonna confine my cruising to only the "safest" places, at least not while I have the strength to swing a machete
You seem to have a rather abrasive attitude issue combined with choosing unsafe areas to visit. Not good. We’ll continue our more peaceful existence with our fellow humans by choosing better spots.

I wish you the best.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote