Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2018, 16:53   #166

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116
Re: Intruder in the Middle of the Night

A man 3 boat down had all new electronics installed. His alarm is silent, turns on his cam and alarms in his condo.
It is an open cockpit boat.
Within a week he got an intruder alert on his phone and the cam came on. The audio alarm sounded on the boat after the cam came on. It was not loud, out of respect for other boaters. The guy left with his bag of tools but, without the new electronics leaving his pictures behind.
They never caught the guy so the assumption was, he was a friend of one of the installers that came from out of the area.
His picture was plastered all over, without positive results. I doubt if he will ever come back to this marina.

The point we must consider is, "property" is insured and can be replaced. You cannot be replaced.
Old 01-08-2018, 18:12   #167

Boat: Still building

The other issue with "guns on board" is the legality issue when travelling internationally.

A lot of the comments on this seem "US centric", but the truth is, other nations (like Oz) will confiscate your weapons on arrival and return them to you when you check out of the country.

So not much use to you if a potential burglar attempts to board.

I second the question mark over motion sensors.... I have amotion sensor light near my back door that is designed to assist me entering the house if I arrive home at night, but ther is a small tree nearby that, in the lightests of breezes, causes the light to come on a dozen or more time a night.

In any stiff breeze I have to turn the mnotion sensor light off, or it blinks like a strobe (minor exaggeration...)

I thnik, but am not certain, that the actual sensors can be purchased with a much narrower 'cone' of response.

Perhaps someone who actually knows about electronics could comment?
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 18:17   #168

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
I thnik, but am not certain, that the actual sensors can be purchased with a much narrower 'cone' of response.
Inyour specific case, a simple baffle placed on one side of the sensor could shield it from the naughty tree's angle. Probably pretty simple to do ad hoc.

Jim
Old 01-08-2018, 18:26   #169

Boat: Still building

Unfortunately I walk past the shrub on the way to the back door, so masking the bush alkso masks my approach.

Probelm is hte sensor faces outwards - parallel to the ground - from the base of the wall-monted sconce.

I think what I need is a ceiling-mounted sensor that 'shines' straight down, that is linked to the sconce.

Future project for my local sparkie. It's beyond me.
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 20:00   #170

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

My friend has a motion detecter switched light on the back of his power boat. He has been all over the Caribbean and GOM. It has lit up police and Mexican navy more than anything else.. But it has lit up several times and caused a panga to depart. He had to fuss with the mounting a bit to minimize false alarms but is happy with it now. I have one on my driveway in the mountains that has adjustable sensitivity . It will ignore jack rabbits but deer and elk will set it off. It is available with up to 4 sensors. Not the cheapest but I've had good luck with this one as compared to several others that the wind would set off.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 20:06   #171

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III
Intruder in the Middle of the Night

Hmmm sensor to internal alarm, or camera to verify the intrusion then very bright lights on a switch. Very bright. Then if that doesn’t work very loud horn, you need one anyway for power boats. If they remain then you’ll be pretty sure they aren’t your new friends.
Old 01-08-2018, 20:38   #172

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

We had a motion sensor for a while on our previous boat. It was set under the top of the dodger, and looked astern, as well as covering the cockpit. In wind against the tide situations, our ship's ensign would set it alarming. I think if we were going to spend much time in higher crime areas, we might get one for this boat. Had we had one, we might not have had our dinghy stolen off Battery Point, in Tasmania. I like the idea of working it to flash lights and set off a shrieker, but it's one of those experiments, you might not like it if you had to live with it.

Ann
Old 01-08-2018, 21:28   #173

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Ann my suggestion was to use it to alert you and then you manually set off the lights and sound as you see fit. I agree that automatically doing so will not make you friends.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:17   #174
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Thinking aloud - maybe a IR beam perimeter alarm rather than a motion sensor; would depend on cockpit layout etc but might work for some boats. Maybe the transmitter mounted near the shrouds on one side just above stanchion height and the receiver mounted in similar position on the other side, both pointing aft. A reflector positioned either side of the transom to complete the beam. All very small units.

Unlikely for an intruder to board forward of the shrouds...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 02:04   #175

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Thinking aloud - maybe a IR beam perimeter alarm rather than a motion sensor; would depend on cockpit layout etc but might work for some boats. Maybe the transmitter mounted near the shrouds on one side just above stanchion height and the receiver mounted in similar position on the other side, both pointing aft. A reflector positioned either side of the transom to complete the beam. All very small units.

Unlikely for an intruder to board forward of the shrouds...

Someone might think it is a clever idea to hand over hand up the anchor rode or chain. On ships we sometimes actually get stowaways that climb up the anchor chain and through the hawsepipe. Takes a pair, lemme tell you. But the anchor rode has the advantage of coming all the way down to the water. Some higher freeboard boats without swim plats or ladders would be hard to board from the water any other way.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:03   #176

Boat: Catalina 30

I live (aboard) in one of the rougher parts of my area and I can tell you that compared to the city on the about a hundred yards away the mooring field is quite safe by comparison. I don't have a super set of security protocols in place, just mostly the standard lock up and don't have expensive stuff laying about type things however, with my general use dinghy (does not travel with the boat) the engine is rather firmly bolted through the transom as more than one has seemed to grow legs or fins in the past, and that seems to keep it in place pretty well. I do use a security wire to lock it to a cleat when I plan on leaving it to bob for a few days. However most of the theft type issues happen in the local marinas rather than on the mooring fields and then mostly in the summer. Interestingly when I had my mooring in the cove before, I was boarded twice, both times simply letting it be know that I was aboard and that I will be taking no crap was enough to resolve the issue, namely the attempted boarding remaining only attempted.
However one evening while visiting Block Island for the weekend, I did actually end up accidentally boarding another vessel that was not my own, I hadn't been drinking it was just dark and slightly hazy and we we're anchored next to each other and had the same basic boat, I didn't realise anything was amiss until the nonskid felt funny under my feet, so yes boarding can be harmless too, I quickly got back in my dinghy and rowed over to my boat which I had not traveled far enough to reach yet. ( In my defense it was dark and I was returning from a different direction than I had left from)
The next morning he yelled over to me if I had strange footprints on my deck too, so I fessed up. All's well that ends well, in the OPs case I think he did the right thing and very similar to what I would have done, I personally in that situation wouldn't have said to go get the gun, but I did on one occasion grab a stantion (bent a few so was repairing things before bed) for a persistent boarder pair who was having trouble understanding reason, for some reason or another the prospect of getting boffed in the noodle repeatedly worked just fine in convincing them it was a relatively bad idea to continue.

(No drunks, punks, animals, boat parts, or old farts were harmed in the writing of this post)
SV_Harbinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:49   #177

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Some 40 years ago I had my boat anchored off Santa Barbara and at the time the wharf there was a dilapidated wreck inhabited only by gulls and one lone functioning street lamp. I was not living aboard. One morning the harbor patrol called me saying “get down here, your boat’s on the beach!” Knowing there was no weather to cause this and sure I had secured the anchors I thought surely they had the wrong boat. But in the early morning light, there she was, still flopping back and forth in the surf, the keel not yet dug in. Fortunately the harbor patrol officers were good friends so they came out and yanked her out of the surf with the patrol boat. But while I was there a couple of transient blokes who lived under a local bridge came by and asked if I wanted help with my boat, for a price. I didn’t hire them. Later I came to find out from another gentleman whose boat had also gone up on the beach that one of those gentlemen had developed the enterprising concept of swimming out to anchored boats at night (and that water was cold,) untying them completely, swimming back and then waiting on the beach for the boat to drift ashore where they could claim “free salvage” and remove the contents. I later found some of my belongings under a local bridge since they had not finished emptying my boat, they were coming back for another load when I rudely interrupted them. I had never considered locking my boat to its chain rode, and I still never have, but that kinda made me wary of leaving my boat unattended!
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 11:25   #178

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vep View Post
Now THAT is a really good idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Some 40 years ago I had my boat anchored off Santa Barbara and at the time the wharf there was a dilapidated wreck inhabited only by gulls and one lone functioning street lamp. I was not living aboard. One morning the harbor patrol called me saying “get down here, your boat’s on the beach!” Knowing there was no weather to cause this and sure I had secured the anchors I thought surely they had the wrong boat. But in the early morning light, there she was, still flopping back and forth in the surf, the keel not yet dug in. Fortunately the harbor patrol officers were good friends so they came out and yanked her out of the surf with the patrol boat. But while I was there a couple of transient blokes who lived under a local bridge came by and asked if I wanted help with my boat, for a price. I didn’t hire them. Later I came to find out from another gentleman whose boat had also gone up on the beach that one of those gentlemen had developed the enterprising concept of swimming out to anchored boats at night (and that water was cold,) untying them completely, swimming back and then waiting on the beach for the boat to drift ashore where they could claim “free salvage” and remove the contents. I later found some of my belongings under a local bridge since they had not finished emptying my boat, they were coming back for another load when I rudely interrupted them. I had never considered locking my boat to its chain rode, and I still never have, but that kinda made me wary of leaving my boat unattended!
I do hope you discussed finding some of your belongings with the harbor patrol with these guys.
Old 02-08-2018, 16:26   #179
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Intruder in the Middle of the Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
I’m curious how a64pilot installed his motion light. I think I want to get one.

Any comments from anyone on how it would be installed, meaning is it installed on the mast and in what direction is it pointed to pick up motion?

Is the light removable or permanently installed?

One I have is a Passive Infra red sensor, detects heat, if a flag or etc is setting it off, turn down the sensitivity, same if you have a cat of something and it sets it off.
Mine I can’t remember it ever falsing, but I don’t have anything of any size that may move or flap around in my cockpit.

I don’t install it, I merely set up on the cabin top beside of the companionway and plug it into the outlet for my spotlight (cigar lighter plug).
Be real easy to mount on the Bimini bow with a DG clamp, I just haven’t bothered.
Even if it were to false, it’s just a flood light.

This explains the operating principle of these cheap lights. You can spend way more of course and get a microwave sensor etc, but it’s not needed and they are more likely to false, cause they see motion and don’t need anything warm moving to go off.
https://learn.adafruit.com/pir-passi.../how-pirs-work
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 04:33   #180

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
So, in your estimation, for that location, 10% of the time, milk and cookies is not the appropriate response.

I hope your complacency doesn't come back and bite you.

It's hardly complacency if Mike has established his approach to such a situation. And yes, you don't need to put on rose-coloured glasses anywhere in the world. My apartment in Kingston, ON got broken into while I was on holidays, but that doesn't make it a generally unsafe area.

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote