Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2018, 15:35   #1

Inmarsat iSatPhone Pro 2 Assistance Button

Hi!

Just bought and got delivered a brand new iSatPhone Pro 2. I configured the assistance button to Sweden Rescue's phone number, and added a max of 10 mobile numbers that recieve a SMS as well.

Subsequently I read a notice (who reads paperwork these days) in the parcel, stating "CRITICAL IMPORTANT INFORMATION...Your new Inmarsat iSatPhone 2 has a dedicated button which can be configured to obtain the Emergency Response Coordination Service provided by GEOS Worldwide Limited (GEOS)...you need to register with GEOS...register online...at:
www.geosalliance.com/inmarsat"

Tried but that web page is down, so googled GEOS Alliance + Inmarsat and found:
https://www.geosalliance.net/geosale..._inmarsat.aspx

I am not postpaid but I use prepaid SIM card from Blue Cosmo so I would have to pay to use their service.

This is why I would like to know if it works anyway with the Swedish JRCC number I added? I.e. will the phone do anything, dial + sms, if not registered with GEOS? If so, can't I skip GEOS and let it call JRCC in Sweden instead, please?

I talked to JRCC Sweden and they say they will coordinate a rescue. And this not the primary means of alerting or only way, also got Garmin InReach Explorer SE+, Epirb, VHF with DSC etc (I know, VHF is short range), so if JRCC Sweden is slower than GEOS, I guess I could live with that.
Bob666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2018, 03:17   #2

Re: Inmarsat iSatPhone Pro 2 Assistance Button

I answer myself. Chatted with product support. You can tie any number to the Red Assistance Button. But it won't send coordinates of course.

So it seems I have to sign up with GEOS (being prepaid) if I am to get the position sent as well, and get their service of coordinating rescue etc. If cheap enough I will, otherwise we have so much other gadgets doing the same so won't be necessary perhaps.

But, better safe than sorry...If the **** hits the fan, isn't it best practice to press all buttons on all rescue devices?
Bob666 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
phone