Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2010, 08:27   #16
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
That's perfect. The Caribbean season starts in June and runs until November with the highest concentration in August and September. Do you have Jimmy Cornell's "World Cruising Routes"? From a dreaming standpoint, it's my most useful book.
Old 06-03-2010, 19:40   #17

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
No but I have heard it referenced many times though...I should spring for it some day soon I suppose..
But it might need rewritten in the next 7 years to our jump off date with all these weather changes going on..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 23:54   #18

Boat: Mac 26x
nice work dave,and i thought that you only sewed up people

i still have a photo of your boat as my background shot on my laptop,its at anchor in some Idyllic spot
bastonjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:21   #19

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastonjock View Post
nice work dave,and i thought that you only sewed up people

i still have a photo of your boat as my background shot on my laptop,its at anchor in some Idyllic spot
One of the good things about making web sites is that you get to put up photos to remind yourself of how great it is to be out their cruising. Every time you check your website, you realize how lucky you are.

I kept a photo of Bora Bora at my desk for eleven years before I set sail and arrived in Bora Bora. I had Bora Bora on my mind.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:54   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
I realize the covers would be history in a direct hit by a hurricane. The real reason we put them on is for sun protection of the windows while the boat is in storage. They also decrease the potential for leaks while we are away from the boat and unable to monitor for such things.

I have used covers for many years with good results because we have never been directly hit by a hurricane. I've been in blistering and tropical sun and torrential rains lots of time. That's what the covers are for.

I take my boat out of the water for hurricane storage. I cover it for sun and rain protection. So far so good. I hope my good fortune continues.
Hello Dave. Can you describe the covers ya use when the boat is hauled during hurricane season? Thanks chris
cvondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:23   #21

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
If I was going to hall out for hurricane season in the northern caribbean, I would haul out at Virgin Gorda Yacht Harbor and Marina...
I stored my boat there a couple of years and now use Nanny Cay on Tortola. The haulout bay at VGYH has some issues and I'm not sure when they are going to repair it (the pilings for the travelift on one side are corroded and threatening to collapse) so they might have weight restrictions in place now.
Jolly harbour on Antigua offers tie downs into concrete which are then welded and this, I gather, is accepted by insurance companies as being sufficient to keep the boat insured during the hurricane season.
All that being said, I feel that I've pushed my luck too often during the hurricane season and will be heading down to Trinidad this year.

BTW, Omar missed the BVI over a year ago but managed to do extensive damage to St. Martin and boats in the lagoon. All bests are off if a hurricane goes straight over the boat, regardless of where it is.
Old 10-03-2010, 18:54   #22

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvondo View Post
Hello Dave. Can you describe the covers ya use when the boat is hauled during hurricane season? Thanks chris
Lately, I have constructed the covers of Stamoid which is the closest thing to bullet proof fabric that I can get from Sailrite. It is guaranteed for five years which makes it a good investment for use over multiple years. I make one cover that covers the salon and windows from the cockpit to the trampolines. That means I put one zipper in it going forward from the mast.

It covers the entire salon including entry doors. Basically I am trying to provide protection from sun and rain damage. The remainder of the covers are to protect hatches and binnnacle, instruments, compass, and the like. I even made wheel covers.

When I was in New Zealand with a favorable currency exchange rate, I had the canvas maker in Whangarei construct a cover that went from bow to stern with skirts for the sides of the hull. At the time it was quite affordable. Depending on the material and type of thread, you can construct a cover that will easily last five seasons of storage.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 19:27   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I used Stamoid from sailrite. It's expensive stuff but lasts forever if you use thread that resists UV.
We did our full cockpit enclosure with it. It is a laminated fabric and is smoother to the feel than other canvas materials so sheds water far better. This is very popular in FL and you can get colors where the inside is different than the outside. UV wise it isn't that much better than Sunbrella but it does perform very well and looks good too. It is as tough as Dave notes. Tearing it is very difficult and I think it's the perfect dodger material too. I don't think the cost is all that much more given the cost of labor to make complex items. The white makes a very cool Bimini connector in the summer heat.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 20:02   #24
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Dave, nice covers which type of stamoid did you use? The soltice, heavy cover and open are ferraris heaviest fabrics the top and light are the middleweight and light. The tensile strength of the heavyweights is 486/486 warp and weft with a 61lb tear. This stuff costs in excess of $30 a yard. Did you compare topgun or topdog from marchem. The topgun is rated at tensile 500/387 tear 48. I get it for 1/4 the price of stamoid heavyweights.. Topdog is comparable to topgun In strength but has a right and wrong side , around $7 a yard. All the above are WAY stronger than acrylics like sunbrella. They have the same 5yr warranty. Haven't heard of 5yr warranty thread. Is it ptfe? Be careful with what you wash the stamoid with. Some boatwashes will cause it to turn gummy, not covered by warranty. Ferrari recommends IMAR stamoid cleaner.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 10:35   #25

Thanks Dave. Do you mount these covers close to the deck? Thanks chris
cvondo is offline   Reply With Quote