Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2018, 08:37   #31

Re: How to set up jacklines & tethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
A month or two ago Practical Sailer did an article in running jack lines chest high attached to the shrouds. They seemed to be in favor of it.

‘Chest height!’ for me, in heavy weather, that’s about two foot from the deck - don’t be afraid to crawl.
KRMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 09:42   #32

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
There are many old threads on this issue, and thus much disagreement, but since I get to chime in early here's my opinion: Traditional jacklines are insufficient, for the very reason you named: a big guy washed over will be very difficult to recover.
A safer method is to establish a whole set of strong clip-in points on centerline, and to move from one to the next, perhaps skipping some in quieter weather and just clipping in when arrived at the area where work must be done, or in serious weather, leap-frogging from one to the next with two leashes so that you're never fully unclipped.
I dont do it this way BUT im going to. Ive used the conventional jacklines from stern to bow purely because thats the way you do it. I swear one day the jacklines tether system will kill me, instead of concentrating and hanging on well when heading on deck Im often untangling my tether from my legs or something else. From now on im getting to where i need to be and clipping on strongly there.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 10:05   #33

Boat: Bavaria 36'

I use a tether with one long and one short tail, this means that I can go from point to point without being unhitched and also use the shortest one suitable when working. In addition you might want to equip yourself with a block and tackle (handy billy) to go between a halyard and the victim. We have one and when we practiced a 9-year old boy hoisted his 190lb dad from sitting on a low jetty up over the rail. See ideas here https://www.yachtingmonthly.com/sail...20st-mob-31075. We have a swim ladder on to our sugar scoop stern, this is definitely not a suitable way to recover a man overboard.
Bill_Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 16:16   #34

the tether is real short (20-22 inches)and shaped like a "y". There are three jacklines; two run inside the handrails on the cabintop and one short one runs down the center of the foredeck just beside the inner stay to about the beginning of the bow pulpit. I can get anywhere aboard the boat, but cannot get over the side. I can reach the toerail and just reach over the side, but I can't get any part of my upper body past it. I can easily reach the mast and boom and in most locatins can lean against the tether/jackline system as a third hand. The Jackline material is tubular UV treated spectra (6000lbs) and can be tied with a special knot (very slippery stuff). My tethers are made of the same stuff and are about 2 feet long. Since the jackline runs along the cabintop, I can walk along and my tether just follows me. When I move from one attachment point to another, I just re-hook with the other end of the "Y" and then unhook the other one. I'm hooked in all the time. Been using it for years and have set up several boats for other sailors the same way.
Doek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 16:27   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Thanks to this thread I made a decision which should be helpful. Our small boat has a gallows. In a MOB retrieval situation I could use the topping lift to attach to the harness and a main winch to pull him/her aboard. I’ll have to replace the topping lift with one about 12’ longer to do this but doable it is.

On the big boat I have an extra long mast top spare halyard and some good size mast winches. It would be tough, I’m always suprised at how much friction is on the halyards if they rub a shroud at all. That probably needs more thought.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 17:34   #36

Boat: Pearson 34-II

No two boats are the same. Therefore, every boat must develop a system that works for THEIR boat not the one on Practical Sailor. There are some common requirements: two tethers on a well-made harness; a simple, fast way to get from bow to stern with flat jacklines; a secure additional attachment at the mast/boom for added security when reefing the mainsail, and keeping as low as possible when leaving the cockpit. One last thing many forget is a good, non-skid shoe that works on a wet deck . . . I have used LL Bean "muds" that have good support and a tenacious grip on a wet deck for years. They also keep my feet dry and work well in a comfy duck blind in the Fall. The best way to really know what you need is to get out and sail your boat in lumpy weather. Your boat will tell you what you need. Good luck and safe sailing... .Rognvald
Old 27-08-2018, 17:49   #37

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

I bought the Wichard jacklines, which are very strong, reflective, and smart. Fitted to some existing pad eyes near the stern and two new folding ones I installed a few feet short of the bow to make them lead neatly at the bottom of the coach roof. The thing to remember is to get the tension right, and use them with your tether looped round and clipped back to yourself. That way if you’re walking forward the tether is taut and lifting the jacklines slightly from the deck. They slide along smoothly and can’t get caught in anything, so I can walk over 40 feet without any concern about the tether snagging. Running the jacklines inside the shrouds and using a doubled tether like this means that if I get thrown over the lifelines I still end up around deck level, not in the water. There are a number of pad eyes in the cockpit for everyone to clip to whether coming up or sitting or helming. On this boat everyone clips to the jacklines while still sitting in cockpit and clipped on with the third tether, before climbing on to the side decks.

I thought the Wichard ones were pretty good value for what you get, and it’s a brand I’m happy to trust with my weight.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 19:09   #38

I can't even begin to understand why sailors set up a jackline/tether systems that allow them to get overboard and into the water. I've never been able to understand it. How many people need to die before we finally get the picture? Short "Y" tethers and a jackline system along the cabintop allow you to walk forward and aft without messing with the tether or having anything around your feet. It leaves your hands free and you can lean back against it while you work on other things with both hands free. Another short centered jackline on the bow allows work there while also staying aboard at all times and in all conditions. Trying to hoist a full grown person aboard in a storm, with huge seas, and flogging sails and a wildly rolling boat is just wishful thinking. No matter what system you create, it is basically impossible. And in some conditions it truly is impossible. You must create a system that keeps everyone aboard at all time in all conditions. That's responsible seamanship.
Doek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 19:19   #39
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
No two boats are the same. Therefore, every boat must develop a system that works for THEIR boat...

This is the thing. If you are tripping over it or it isn't working, change it. It should be a part of the boat, not an after thought.
Old 27-08-2018, 19:47   #40

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Dodger handholds? Just get divits in your dodger...

I also rig a centreline jackstay... 12mm rope... from mast to babystay at waist height then sloping down to the eyes....

No non skid on the hatches.... .... worst thing you can do to them is let people tread on them....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1571.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	176285  

Tags
Jacklines