Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2018, 15:26   #16

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres
Re: How to set up jacklines & tethers

I agree with Benz. I spent a great deal of my younger years on transmission towers roped to safety lines. I had TWO tethers on the end of my ratchet line--which allowed me to cross objects where the line was fastened by snapping one on the kline on the other side iof the object before releasing the fis-rst-0-useful when crossing mast stays etc.

Back to the centreline--you will need the tether with a bridle and two clips if you are using a centre-line to which you clip your tethers, with cross-ties holding it central at mooring cleats and with it made fast to anything else in the centreline or deck of the vessel. It will tale a little more time to get from one end of the vessel to the other, or any points such as the halyard winches on the mainmast or mizzen if you have one, --but you WILL get there.

There will not be enough tether to allow you or your friend to fall overboard.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 17:02   #17

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982

I uses Flat web line 1 1/2 wise forward cleat to stern cleat . The teather goes on before we step out of the cockpit.
At nite the helmsman wears a life jacket and harness attached to a holdfast.
In the rain and bad weather when its rocking and slipery and i have to go forward. Im glad the Jacklines are there. Because they are flat I can step on them and they not roll my foot !
Morgan 384 Ted Brewer design
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 17:07   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
I would suggest also putting hand holds on the side of the dodger. Yes, you want to be able to clip in *before* you leave the cockpit but having nothing but the life line to hold onto as you make your way around the dodger puts you at risk at a dangerous point.

You can buy them just like these:

Attachment 175511

Where can you buy them?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 17:18   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
How to set up jacklines & tethers

Never mind, found them at Sailright.
I guess I had never searched dodger handles before
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 17:56   #20

Boat: 1978 Mainship 34 Sedan Trawler MK1

does anyone use Jacklines and Tethers on trawlers??
jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 18:52   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Your safety clip should never be long enough to permit you to go over the side. Clip on the Windward side so that there is not enough slack to reach over the lee side. Your assessment is correct, you must stay on the boat at all cost or inconvenience.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 23:06   #22

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
There is a school of thought promolgated by a couple very experienced offshore people (the Neils and Pardey's) that you should have a line run from say the aft pushpit - to the shrouds secured there at upper chest level, and then back down to the bow pulpit; which gives you something to grip high enough (above trip level) it could hold you on deck - I'v never used that system and can't comment on its effectiveness but might be working rigging up and trying out (its easy and cheap to rig up) if after all this discussion you still feel then need for a little more.
I do this on my own boat - it's a ketch with twin backstays on the mainmast - I rig a 1/2 inch braided line knotted on each backstay, loop around the aft lower shroud, then tie very tightly to the forward lower shroud, all at chest level. This line adds a lot of security - as I step outside the mid cockpit it is right there for me, and all the way to just forward of the mast. But when I make that move I have a grip with two hands on the railing on top of the dodger as well.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 14:12   #23

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

Excellent thread. Good ideas so far. Keep them coming.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 05:26   #24

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

2 things:

1) we met a sailor who wanted to try out his MOB line in a real test. He had his wife drive the boat at 4k and he went overboard. He said the result was a disaster...he FLOPPED AND FLAILED ABOUT LIKE A DOLPHIN, with his head going under water, shouting for his wife to help, etc....in other words a existential failure.
2) DON'T RELY ON YOUR STANDARD LIFE JACKET to have the strength to lift you out. In a recent test the life jacket just gave out. not strong enough to lift someone out of the water.

Bill
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 05:32   #25

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

Bill is right. Besides a PFD I require everyone to wear a harness if we are underway.
Also, at least two crew members have actually practiced a MOB drill. That way at least one person on board knows exactly what to do.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 06:48   #26

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
Bill is right. Besides a PFD I require everyone to wear a harness if we are underway.
Also, at least two crew members have actually practiced a MOB drill. That way at least one person on board knows exactly what to do.

And the harness should be worn almost uncomfortably tight around the chest, particularly if part of an integrated PFD-harness product. Crotch straps keep the PFD from riding over your head in the water but should not be relied on for lifting someone.
Old 21-08-2018, 05:11   #27

Boat: Victoire 1270

Thank you all for the great responses!

We went through the steps as posted by estarzinger and also had a good look at how to improve the current system for next year (since Philos will be on the hard this winter to redo her teak).

The current system is far from perfect, but we changed how the jacklines are attached and shortened our tethers. The jacklines now run tightly along the hatches and cabin.
We also added anti-slip to the hatches and set the extra stay (in Dutch: kotterstag. Don't know the English term ... Like a working jib without the boom).

I wanted to take a pic, but I forgot to take one until after we took off the jacklines but I'll post anyway

syPhilos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 06:16   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

A month or two ago Practical Sailer did an article in running jack lines chest high attached to the shrouds. They seemed to be in favor of it.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 06:37   #29
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

A few things:

* Ditch the non-locking tethers. Obsolete and not compliment with any modern standard. These can twist of U-bolts and even jacklines. The man is also over the design weight (with gear) and I doubt these meet the new strength standard.
* Except for jibing a chute, falling off the windward side is exceptionally rare. The actual risk is sliding to leeward.
* Any statement the centerline or windward is better is itself false. They are each better for something different. There is a good case for having both on larger boats.
* The fact that cleats are convenient does NOT make them the right place to anchor jacklines. Logically, the jacklines should terminate about 4' short of the bow and stern. You can still reach everything.
* Nearly all MOBs are working, not moving, so clip a fixed point when you stop to work (helm, grind, mast, bow).

The most important thing may be to practice in mild weather so that use becomes instinctive and easy.
Old 21-08-2018, 07:19   #30

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

I used web jacklines, and before every passage I'd toss them in the water to soak them to stretch them so they'd dry super tight.
Always go forward on the high side and cross over if needed.
Wear 2 tethers, so you can clip to a different point before releasing the first.
Double your tether around the jackline and crawl foreward.

During heavy weather or at night, clip on while in the cockpit.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Jacklines