Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2014, 17:53   #91
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
How to avoid being killed ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahillsr View Post
I suspect that crime in the islands is not dissimilar to here in the states or the problem they are having in England. In areas with restrictive gun/self-protection laws, home invasions while people are in the home sleeping is higher due to the criminal pretty much knowing that they won't have a real fight on their hands and there is more likely cash and credit cards at home when the homeowner is there. Google what the current Police Chief in Detroit has to say on the problem as an example. What about carrying a speargun?
What problem are " they having in England ". So called home invasions are far fewer then in the US statistics show most burglaries take place in daylight and with unoccupied homes. Only a tiny percentage break in at night or seeking to confront the occupier. Hence these are not your hyped up " home invasion" crimes. Burglars don't want to see people. Therefore I'm not sure how guns can be helpful when there's nobody there to wield them

Don't reply with links to nonsense crime statistics comparisons. UK ( not England) and US crime statistics , outside of homicides cannot be compared due to radically different data collection methodologies and codifying standards, it's an apple and oranges thing.

( ps why does the gun lobby use misplaced, incorrect statistics and " England " to justify its nonsense ). It can't seem to present an argument without making things up or distorting other countries positions and statistics

Dave
Old 04-02-2014, 18:03   #92
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: How to avoid being killed ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebound View Post
How about a couple of powerful spearguns on board. Is that legal?

I'd bet a weapon is a weapon, it's not a firearm unless of course you have a powerhead on it, which for some reason in the US is not considered a firearm. I think the alarm and some kind of gate is a good logical choice. I figure if you can keep em out of the boat, illuminate them and have something that makes a lot of noise, most likely they will leave. There is a reason they sneak on in the middle of the night. Remove their cover of night and surprise, and most will leave for another easier victim
Old 04-02-2014, 18:43   #93

Boat: GibSea 472

We have to accept the fact that any travel may imply risks of mugging or worst. My wife had her purse stolen in broad daylight, in Paris. It was a gang of young North Africans bums, probably down from some rough 'banlieue' . I have au friend who was assaulted with a gun and robbed in Boston dowtown, near its hotel. So it occurs everywhere not just in the Island cruising grounds.
Having to ressort to fire arms for cruising is a bad idea : The fun is all gone and one may ask himself if it is not the time to do something else. Altough I understand that some American states recommand having guns for self deffense.
But in general, firearms brings troubles with autorities, let alone using it against some local. In Canada for example firearms (handguns ou military rifles) are strickly forbiden and hunting rifles are very sériously restricted. French Antilles are in even more unwelcoming for firearms.
Old 04-02-2014, 18:44   #94

Location: Mountains south of Campo. South East of TKT in Baja.
Boat: 45 ft., Leopard

kenomac
I am 73 years old. I am not sure which one I am more afraid of! Post # 73
Old 04-02-2014, 19:10   #95

Kenomac, Good information. It seems like a tomahawk and a good bush machete knife would be the way to go for close quarters. I could see where an attacker could knock a spear aside and you're done for.
Old 04-02-2014, 19:31   #96
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebound View Post
Kenomac, Good information. It seems like a tomahawk and a good bush machete knife would be the way to go for close quarters. I could see where an attacker could knock a spear aside and you're done for.
That again, I thought we had buried that particular hatchet ( boom boom!!)

Dave
Old 04-02-2014, 20:01   #97
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I think the piracy and cruiser killings in the Caribbean ain't too bad, especially when we compare it to the horrible crime levels of the EU (which includes UK ), USA and AUS. I mean, why would sailors get away with it, see it as an equalizer that they are being targeted in certain places in the Carieb, just like street gang members are more likely to be shot in LA and other such fun places.

At least, after you've anchored in those exciting places and have been killed while telling the perps you're unarmed and begging for their mercy, we'll discuss your demise here on CF in great detail

It's the sheep again, not liking the sheepdogs Only when the wolves show up they suddenly call for sheepdogs to come and help, same old story

Old 04-02-2014, 20:27   #98

Banana Republics have been so indoctrinated by our government their restrictions are really getting a bit worrisome. In Mexican waters, as most of you probably already know, you have to turn in your firearms to the nearest police station from your anchor point or mooring or marina and, surprise, you MAY even get them back. Im knocking on 70 now and I knew guys who sailed to shoot! Clay pigeons or .50 cal at targets placed on remote atolls. Couple of nice shotguns or a .50 cal today cost you about $8,000.00 to $10,000.00. Who wants to give it up to a corrupt PD in hopes you may get it back. The last frontier has been overtaken by the bureaucrats. Although Im proficient with a long bow, I cant see me defending myself and my family with a long bow against thugs with automatic weapons. About the only thing we have come up with is "Wasp and Hornet Spray" which will incapacitate anyone at a range of about 20'. Maybe it isnt illegal but who knows? What they would really love to to is figure out some way to impound your sailboat. And you may or may not get it back. I had a 13 meter steel hull that was sold at a government auction, impounded after the drug runners tried unsuccessfully to sink it in a river channel. The former owners were ambushed at sea, murdered, thrown overboard and this really fast sailboat was used on an unknown number of drug runs. In a steel hull, they cut a hole in the hull, insert drugs, weld the hole back up, all done in the water at sea. Im telling you I dont have the answer. But I am of the same mentality as the Black Ops guys, "SITUATION AWARENESS" and other than that, you are on your own.
Old 04-02-2014, 21:10   #99
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
That again, I thought we had buried that particular hatchet ( boom boom!!)

Dave
Try this tomahawk.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	indian.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	75321  
Old 05-02-2014, 06:01   #100

Boat: 48' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
It's the sheep again, not liking the sheepdogs Only when the wolves show up they suddenly call for sheepdogs to come and help, same old story

Yep. Very true.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:18   #101
CLOD

Boat: none

"your pepper spray and other toys just make me real mad"
Attached Images

Old 05-02-2014, 06:26   #102
cruiser

Ax-Wielding Woman Chases Burglar: "I Hit What I Aim For"
Article: Ax-Wielding Woman Chases Burglar: "I Hit What I Aim For" | NBC Southern California

Thieves and a-holes aren't so brave when confronted... usually, sh%t their pants and run.

Old 05-02-2014, 06:35   #103

The world is full of pacifist liberals who expect others to take care of them. I dont know if it is the mind numbing fluoride in the water or just a lack of understanding the problem. Just some food for thought; If it were not for 50 million armed American Patriots nothing else would stand between world slavery and liberty. Is it that difficult then for you to understand why they desperately and unendingly want the Americans disarmed? "They" are the NWO beneficiaries who wish to (1) Enslave the entire world population, and, (2) Reduce the world population from 7.3 billion to 400 million (3) Control the world food supply which is already happening with Monsanto's 'terminator seed' which will not allow you to save heirloom seed from year to year and Monsanto's toxins which have purposefully killed most of the bees on the planet while developing their own 'super bees' which are immune to the toxins (4) Control the currency. The subject of how to protect yourself while cruising is a microcosm of what else is going on in the world mates.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:45   #104
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

It's that time again!
Old 05-02-2014, 07:03   #105
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Someone give me a silver gun.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Closed Thread