Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Health, Safety & Related Gear
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2019, 09:25   #1
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
How Do You Keep Stuff Dry While Transporting--Dry Bags, Tupperware, Even Trash Bags?

I have dry bags but really only used them kayaking and back when I used to camp off my beach cat. For cameras and phones I've just used locking Tupperware containers, even kayaking; I just find them easier to access and less bulky than Pelican-type containers. And I've just thrown big trash bags over guest duffels and groceries with good success.

What works for you, in what application?
Old 13-11-2019, 10:42   #2

Boat: Hanse, 400e - 40ft
Re: How Do You Keep Stuff Dry While Transporting--Dry Bags, Tupperware, Even Trash Ba

We use these reasonably inexpensive Dry Bags (affiliate link)
http://amzn.to/2qciC6Z

I have 1 of the 30l bags 2 of the 5l bags.
I use the 30l when I have a “bunch” of stuff.
One of the 5l bags is our dedicated dink bag with a patch kit, suction cup mount all-around white light, handheld VHF, etc. The other we use for our electronics; iPhones, iPads, Kindles, etc.

And yes, we have been known to use a simple 30gal trash bag to protect a non-water resistant duffle/backpack or two from spray!
Old 13-11-2019, 11:16   #3
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: How Do You Keep Stuff Dry While Transporting--Dry Bags, Tupperware, Even Trash Ba

For things we're not overly concerned about we use the jumbo Ziploc bags (approx 2'x3', yes feet) you can put blankets, clothes, books, towels, dry goods, freezer (keeps the water from thawing frozen food contained) and refer items you name it, they're cheap and re-usable. They are also great for storing whole fresh fish. We usually find them at Walmart or similar.
https://ziploc.ca/en/Products/Closet...Big-Bags-Jumbo
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2019, 16:25   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

We have dry bags, and a floating sport pouch. For book swaps, we just use a plastic bag. We have a special 'raincoat' for laundry, too.

Cheers, guys,

Ann
Old 13-11-2019, 17:04   #5

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

For transporting stuff to and from the beach (in the dingy) we use a dry bag. Too many times there are beach/surf accidents. No sense risking wallets and expensive camera gear. A whack can knock the lid off a Tupperware box. The pelican is not easy to carry around after you get ashore. So we bite the bullet and use the dry bag.

On board the boat we have big plastic boxes in the lockers mainly to keep splashes or leaks or any possibility of getting gear or food or other stuff wet. We never know when we'll wind up in some extreme sea conditions and will get water inside the boat. Even inside the chart table stuff is inside big plastic pouches. There are some lockers however which have been demonstrably impervious and in those lockers we don't use any extra protection.

We've got a lot of stuff that has survived for many years with this approach.
Old 13-11-2019, 18:04   #6

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

I find it's easier and better to keep the boat dry through proper maintenance. I'm huge proponent of dusty bilges.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2019, 19:11   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I find it's easier and better to keep the boat dry through proper maintenance. I'm huge proponent of dusty bilges.
Well yes Chotu, Of course, and we have spent a lot of energy making this boat dry, special water seals around the dodger, a spray shield on deck to divert water, double layer mast boot, seals on all through deck fittings, Every item of hardware properly sealed, all sorts of other efforts, and yes, it's pretty effective.

But...if you're in bad weather for 24-48 hours and water is all over the topsides and running down the side decks and you're going upwind in 35 knots of breeze and the bow knocks waves 6' in the air every 10 seconds and that water blows back into you and your dodger and your cockpit at 40 knots because you're going 6-7 knots into it. Man, some of it gets below.

I guess you can turn around and go somewhere else.

Or you make your boat capable of dealing with that and you keep stuff inside protected, and you get to your destination and dry out, and everything is fine.

That's what I mean.

This photo? It's not even a bad day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5425-Water in Cockpit.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	445.6 KB
ID:	203093  
Old 13-11-2019, 20:26   #8

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I'll add one more option, I use these food storage tubs from Smart and Final for all kinds of stuff on the boat, and they are tough enough to use when taking stuff in the dinghy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2019-11-13 at 8.25.32 PM.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	244.4 KB
ID:	203095  
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2019, 20:31   #9

Quote:

I suppose I was not crystal clear. We're talking about dinghy rides and the like, not so much on the yacht.
Old 14-11-2019, 03:26   #10

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Oh, on the dinghy!! I understand. I garbage bag everything that needs to stay dry on the dinghy and typically wait out the weather a bit so it's not such a difficult task.

Wingssail, I'm not understanding why your cockpit is flooded and you have the companionway wide open there. I've never been in a situation like that. On monohulls, if there is the slightest risk of taking on water I'm closed up tight. On catamarans, well, I've never run into that problem. Since boats are not making a passage 90% of the time, I had assumed that's what we were talking about here. Time at anchor and still getting wet. Thanks for the clarification.

For food onboard, everything goes in airtight containers once open to avoid picking up humidity.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2019, 07:50   #11

Quote:
Wingssail, I'm not understanding why your cockpit is flooded and you have the companionway wide open there. I've never been in a situation like that. On monohulls, if there is the slightest risk of taking on water I'm closed up tight.
The water does not get into the open companionway (which is raised 10" from the cockpit floor). We only get water into the cockpit (or on deck) when going into the waves and wind and then the water on deck flows aft, held out of the companionway by the dodger and spray shield on deck. with weather on the beam or aft of the beam we never have had a wave which came into the cockpit or onto the deck.

We used to put in washboards as part of our heavy weather bill but after a few passages we found it unnecessary. In 34 years of sailing this boat we have not had an occurrence of water coming in that way. What we get is water dribbling around the hatch coaming, water coming in on our rain gear, rain when things are open, ...in other words incidental water which adds up.

We used to have a clear plastic water shield which we attached over the nav station which is 48" from the companionway. It was meant to protect the open laptop which is there running all the time and other electronics. It never got a drop on it so we don't use it anymore.

All of our precautions for food, papers, etc in the lockers below are just that: precautions, but they have not been put to the test.

The dingy, however, is often put to the test. Hence, Dry bag.
Old 14-11-2019, 08:28   #12
rbk

Boat: T37

We also have dusty bilges but bagging bedding and books in the cold months keeps the humidity out. You can have zero leaks but crawl into a very damp bed or get mildew between the pages.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2019, 08:54   #13

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

We use dry bags, but also have a large enough dry bow locker (I can actually climb in there and close the hatch) in our modified 10ft Spindrift Dinghy with Laser deck.
Old 14-11-2019, 12:21   #14

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

We own scores of roll top dry bags in all sizes and materials, and used them for decades when remote camping, kayaking, winter ditch bags in vehicles, and boating.

That all changed when we discovered Watershed Dry Bags. We have been using them for critical needs for 15+ years and there is nothing better that we have found for must stay dry items.

These aren't the roll lock top bags that will eventually leak if subjected to extremes, or floating or submerged in water. The seal on these bags are purportedly rated to 300ft submersion, without zippers... A very tough seal, but also very quick and easy to open and close if you follow their directions.

Our preference in the dinghy are their backpacks, but in clear material [very supple even below freezing...] so we can easily see what is inside.

Our ditch bags are purpose made by Watershed. We have 3; the primary ditch bag; one for shore camping gear [tent, sleeping bags, food, cooking gear, etc.- we play in remote areas most of the time]; and one for seasonal gear and our Marine 3000 first aid kit, etc. Each has a heavy duty SUP leash attached and flaked so in an emergency you can attach the leash to your person or the dinghy, life raft, etc. and go.

We also have several of their duffel bags and rifle cases with the removable padded liner option, kayak bags, camera bags, 'purses', etc. All are absolutely excellent.

We have oral inflation tubes factory installed on most of our bags so we can add boyancy, or deflate as needed.

This is truly a case of getting what you pay for, and we consider them as lifetime investments.

In case these are of interest.

Cheers! Bill

PS: I forgot to mention these carry a lifetime warranty against manufacturing and material defects, and can be repaired by the factory if needed...
Old 14-11-2019, 13:25   #15

^^ That's an endorsement!

Yup, I've had a little water leak into roll-top drybags, but I always felt that was because I over filled them, which is tempting.