Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2010, 16:44   #1

Boat: Pearson 30
Health Insurance While Cruising

I was wondering if anybody can help me out with this: I am starting preparation for our sailboat adventure and one of mine major worries is health insurance while cruising. We are a family of four, 2 children ages 5 and 11, and we are going to be spending about a year cruising the Bahamas and the Caribbeans. My question is : Is there a insurance company that has policies designed for cruising families? Or the insurance policies are the same as in land.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you
cla6665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 16:54   #2

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
I'd start here ....http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...nce-43073.html
Old 20-07-2010, 16:58   #3

Also, scroll to bottom of this page and look at "Similar Threads".
Old 20-07-2010, 16:58   #4

Boat: private yacht always moving
I do not think the blue cross will cover you while outside of the united states,,,,,,

whatever insurance you find,,, they are out there,, maybe travelers insurance,,, MAKE sure that it covers evac back to the states,,,,,,

in the caribbean I found that the medical available was very good,,, st thomas,,, tortola, saint marteen, bahamas,,,,, i have been to doctors and dentist in all the above places and had no problem with there service,,, in fact found it cheaper than the states,,,,,
One thing to think about,,, if MEGA YACHTS are at the island you go to,,, like the above ones,,,, you will find that the medical available to very good

you can get the same medicine cheaper in the bahamas and the caribbean than you can in the states
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 16:59   #5

check out this site

Planning Extended Travel Abroad

http://www.globaltravelinsurance.com/

http://www.travelguard.com/

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/us

have a fun time with the family,,,, it is an adventure that you can never duplicate on land
Old 20-07-2010, 17:00   #6

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
Are you a gambler? Family history and the unknown. I have health insurance! It is about $9,000 a year. One major illness would wipe me out. I have read that doctors anf hospitals a less expensive than the United States. Do you gamble? I can not answer. I was hoping Obama Care would be the answer. I look a Canada and wonder.
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 17:05   #7

Obama Care????? what a joke,,,, you will have to pay taxes on the health insurance,,, even if your employer pays for it,,,, it will be considered income,,,, he is also going to be hiring 20,000 more IRS workers,,, get ready for the audits,,,,,,,,,Blue cross cost me 87 per month,,,, I will have to pay income on about 250 dollars per month as the difference will be considered income

Obama Care at its best ,,,,,,
Old 20-07-2010, 17:19   #8

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
captainkj,

I have Blue Cross also. I would love to pay for The family plan at your monthly amount. I think it goes to prove apples and oranges do not equate. I am ready to give up health insurance. I am tired of the games the insurance companies play. You pay a certain amount because you live in one state and I pay more because I live in another state. My local hospital in in the red for millions of dollars. Who pays ? I do evertime I go to the hospital. I pay for the people that do not pay for the services. Who pays for the shop lifters? We do! The stores raise their prices to pay for the theft and the prosecution of the theives.
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 17:23   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
Obama Care????? what a joke,,,, you will have to pay taxes on the health insurance,,, even if your employer pays for it,,,, it will be considered income,,,, he is also going to be hiring 20,000 more IRS workers,,, get ready for the audits,,,,,,,,,Blue cross cost me 87 per month,,,, I will have to pay income on about 250 dollars per month as the difference will be considered income

Obama Care at its best ,,,,,,
Sorry, but not true.

Fact Check: Health care benefits not taxable but are reportable | jacksonville.com
Old 20-07-2010, 17:34   #10

Really not the forum to debate,,, there is more information available than that web site,,,,,,

that article has some facts but not all of them,,,,,,

House bill HR3590 the health care bill that just passed, and asked for a summary of changes. An aid directed him to go to thomas.gov; enter HR3590 in the search Box and look for summaries.

Starting in 2011 (next year folks) your W 2 tax form sent by your employer will be increased to show the value of whatever health insurance the company gives you. It does not matter if that’s a private concern or Governmental body of some sort.
Old 20-07-2010, 17:39   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by scallywag View Post
captainkj,

I have Blue Cross also. I would love to pay for The family plan at your monthly amount. I think it goes to prove apples and oranges do not equate. I am ready to give up health insurance. I am tired of the games the insurance companies play. You pay a certain amount because you live in one state and I pay more because I live in another state. My local hospital in in the red for millions of dollars. Who pays ? I do evertime I go to the hospital. I pay for the people that do not pay for the services. Who pays for the shop lifters? We do! The stores raise their prices to pay for the theft and the prosecution of the theives.
I agree with you,,, my plan ONLy covers me if I go to the emergency room but being single that is really all I need at the moment,,,,, I did the math and found that i could go to the walkin clinic over 12 times in a year an still come out ahead as long as i did not need any heavy medication

i pay less for insurance but also do not get the deductible that kids offer,,, or the joy

Trade YA
Old 20-07-2010, 18:51   #12

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
Originally Posted by cla6665 View Post
I was wondering if anybody can help me out with this: I am starting preparation for our sailboat adventure and one of mine major worries is health insurance while cruising. We are a family of four, 2 children ages 5 and 11, and we are going to be spending about a year cruising the Bahamas and the Caribbeans. My question is : Is there a insurance company that has policies designed for cruising families? Or the insurance policies are the same as in land. Any help would be greatly appreciated Thank you
To answer your questions. Basically, your USA Health insurance is not valid outside USA and its islands like Puerto Rico and USVI. In other islands that are independent countries, health insurance is really not needed as the cost of medical attention varies from free to very minimal - about 10% to 25% of what USA costs are for a doctor, dentist, etc.
- - The biggest concern is the ability to get you or a family member back to the USA is a very unusual or complicated medical problem arises that cannot be treated by a local medical facility. So sign up for the family coverage at D.A.N. - that is for the medical evacuation insurance. See: DAN Divers Alert Network
- - If the family is basically healthy and not accident prone then really no other insurances are needed. Travel Medical insurance only will cover you for a limited time usually measured in a month or so. It is designed for cruise ship and land tourist trips.
- - If you feel you need additional coverage for the family then there are international medical insurance companies. For some of them see:
International Marine Insurance Services
Travel Insurance, Travel Health Insurance, International Travel Insurance – IMG Insurance
International Health Insurance, Expatriate and Traveller Medical Cover
Health insurance with unconditional cover - ihi Bupa

These are a selection of some international medical agents or companies that have comprehensive coverage for any major medical costs while outside the USA.
- - One thing you do not want to do - if possible - is drop your coverage for inside the USA. Like car insurance once you go without coverage you may get shifted into the high risk pools. But also for USA insurance - if pre-existing conditions exist - you may not be able to get reasonable coverage. Things are changing in the USA medical insurance game over the next few years, but IMHO, it is still worth it to hang onto your old system until you can definitely determine what the "new" order of things will be.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 19:30   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
Really not the forum to debate,,, there is more information available than that web site,,,,,,

that article has some facts but not all of them,,,,,,

House bill HR3590 the health care bill that just passed, and asked for a summary of changes. An aid directed him to go to thomas.gov; enter HR3590 in the search Box and look for summaries.

Starting in 2011 (next year folks) your W 2 tax form sent by your employer will be increased to show the value of whatever health insurance the company gives you. It does not matter if that’s a private concern or Governmental body of some sort.
Just because its on your W-2 does not make it taxable. There are a lot of things already reported on the W-2 that are not taxable. It's very plain if your read the final bill as signed that this reporting is for informational purposes only, like so many other things on the W-2, and NOT part of taxable wages.

I don't want to debate this either, but being a tax professional I hate to see misinformation like this put out there as fact.

Please, don't contribute to the hysteria.

Tags
health insurance