Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2019, 02:09   #46
cruiser

Re: Fused ankle

I 44.
Diagnosed with arthritis 37 years ago.
Broken same ankle twice.
Unlucky if you don't like balancing pain.
Lucky if prepared to concentrate focus upon coordinates.

Get a good diet bro.. Enjoy it.
Love Nathan
Boatsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 15:50   #47

Location: NZ but boat on slow circumnavigation currently in NW Spain
Boat: Oyster 435 45ft

Hi I am 60 now and when I was 30 shattered my right ankle in an accident. Have worked as a super yacht captain and cruised ever since. Didn’t fuse it as was afraid of the risks if it went wrong. If I keep fit and the weight off I can manage really well. Can’t jump or run but have found work arounds and it’s stoppped me doing very little: main thing is stay fit and light !
I am in the middle of a ceixumnaciagyion now my second. My advice don’t let anything stop you but do get lean and fit
Cheers
Nugel
capnigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 19:18   #48

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

So, another check up today. Dr was happy with the improved joining of the bones, but wants to stay cautious . So another 3 weeks but I can now add up to 50% weight bearing.
That's going to start cutting into boat prep this spring. Although 2 nights ago our marina lounge and washrooms burnt down, so launch is probably going to be delayed any ways. It sounds like no one was hurt, and no boats damaged, so that isgood at least. Plus the only prep I have is adding a layer of vc17, and standard setup.
As for how it feels, no pain at all resting. All incisions are fully healed. When I put weight on, there is pain, but nowhere near as bad as the arthritis was. And it will improve daily as I work the muscles and condition the sole.
All in all I am still very happy about getting it done.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2019, 00:24   #49

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
So, another check up today. Dr was happy with the improved joining of the bones, but wants to stay cautious . So another 3 weeks but I can now add up to 50% weight bearing.
That's going to start cutting into boat prep this spring. Although 2 nights ago our marina lounge and washrooms burnt down, so launch is probably going to be delayed any ways. It sounds like no one was hurt, and no boats damaged, so that isgood at least. Plus the only prep I have is adding a layer of vc17, and standard setup.
As for how it feels, no pain at all resting. All incisions are fully healed. When I put weight on, there is pain, but nowhere near as bad as the arthritis was. And it will improve daily as I work the muscles and condition the sole.
All in all I am still very happy about getting it done.
Good, very glad to hear it is going so well. Sorry about the pain, but it is not a stranger for you, and you have learned to cope with pain well, by now.

Too bad about the marina lounge and washrooms. They will want the fees for launchings, though, to help defray repair costs, so you may be ready for the water sooner rather than later. Not sure what vc17 is, so won't comment on that, but if you need a hand, start asking soon. Good luck with it all.

Ann
Old 18-04-2019, 05:43   #50

Boat: Rafiki 37

Sounds like you’re making great progress Chris. You’ll be running and hopping in no time

The marina fire sounds bad. At least no boats were harmed, but still quite a blow. Where do you sail btw? Fresh water I guess. VC17 is a hard anti-foul paint for fresh water. The racers used to love it. Said it made them go faster, like a slick haircut .
Old 18-04-2019, 08:59   #51

Ann, VC 17 is ,as Mike said, a fresh water bottom paint. A quick scrub and about 30 min to apply. I luckily have a very capable wife to help.
The marina fire is definitely unfortunate. I know the owner well, and he was planning to build new in a year or 2. He bought it about4 years back and has been upgrading everything. So he just needs to move the timetable up I guess.
Mike, i sail on wabamun lake outside Edmonton Alberta. And yup, the VC does make my boat faster.and since I'm selling this summer I need her at her best.
Old 08-05-2019, 19:22   #52

So, another check up today. Everything is healing and looking good. Another 3 weeks with the boot on, but full weight bearing. So crutches and scooter are out and I have a cane to use as needed.
All in all it feels great. When I over use it it is sore, but more swelling and fatigue than pain.
The real test with swelling will be on Tuesday. We are jumping on a plane to go look at a boat. Out in Mike's old stomping grounds.(great lakes) It will also be nice to get away, and be on the water again.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:45   #53

Good news all round Chris. Good luck with the Great Lakes visit, and the boat. Does this mean you plan to start cruising in this area?
Old 09-05-2019, 08:10   #54

It's an area I'm would love to spend time in Mike. But the main goal is avoidance of cold weather. So if we end up buying it, hopefully spend some of the summer exploring. Then out the oswego and South for winter
Old 09-05-2019, 15:06   #55

Good on ya, Chris. Glad to see you doing so well.

Ann
Old 30-05-2019, 12:56   #56

Another dr's visit yesterday. The one joint is still healing slow, but overall progress looks good. It takes full weight and the only pain is as a roll forward to walk. I have also been approved to begin physio. I still use the cane, but more for posture correction than weight. Balance and strength are somewhat limited, but physio will address that.
On a different note, I am heading back to Ontario to do the survey on the boat. Yup, the viewing and test sail went well. Our offer was accepted and survey on the 10th of June. Once that is complete, I will start a thread about it with much more info.
Old 30-05-2019, 14:27   #57
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Chris-
There is a gadget that unfortunately is usually not covered by insurance, which consists of electromagnetic coils and a control module. Some years ago we got it for family when the leg bones were detached from the ankle, and the bone was healing slowly. The device is FDA approved and proven, and the ortho had suggested it and remarked on how well it made the bone healing go. Apparently the magnetic stimulation makes bone regrowth faster and stronger.
On the down side, it is best used "right away" but insurers may want to wait 30-90 days before they'll authorize it. And they're not cheap, something like $2200 IIRC. Then the FDA, in their infinite wisdom, requires that this durable medical equipment is programmed so that it can only be used for one course with one patient--and then the control unit locks up and it has to be tossed.
But it is a viable option for optimal bone healing, that your doctors probably are aware of.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2019, 15:01   #58

Glad to hear it's going well, Chris.

I had some balance physical therapy. I had to get on a half dome gadget that was round side down, and stand still on it. At first it was hard, but with continued attempts, I got a lot better at it.

In your shoes, I'd be tempted to ask the doc to have me talk to a dietician for hints to promote bone healing. Weight bearing exercise and diet could help. I have no knowledge of the machine hellosailor mentions, and this is not a comment to take that down, I just have a hole there.

Ann

Ann
Old 30-05-2019, 15:22   #59

Sounds good Chris. I found my recovery went in surges and then lulls. I’d seem to make a big improvement in a short time, then it would level off, making it feel like no more progress was possible. But then it would change again.

With my fusion I still get constant low level pain. I tend to feel it when I, as you say, roll forward to walk.

I forget if I asked you about the boat. I think it is in the lower Lakes. Sure glad to hear it is working out.
Old 07-09-2019, 19:59   #60

Well, time to give some closure to this story. It is almost 8 months post surgery. Physio is done, the best physio for the ankle was actually just being on the boat. The cane is now in storage. I just went for new custom orthotics(they make a world of difference). And I'm walking with barely any limp.
The swelling is gone unless I really overdo it for walking.
There is still some numbness in a couple spots, but every once in a while I feel something like an electrical current. I'm told that's nerves coming back,so feeling is improving too.
I asked about the electro magnet stimulus. I was recommended not to use anything along those lines as it could arc current through the screws. Basically causing them to be anodes and start degrading. Even if only a chance, not something I want to happen.
The surgeon is happy with the results and released me medically. Although I can come back to her for any future issues or complications. She was also very intrigued by our plans to live aboard.
Speaking of which, we head back to the boat tomorrow and plan to start heading south once Dorian screws off! Hopefully we get into the Chesapeake before the boat show.
See you all on the water