Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2010, 18:55   #16
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
I have both Musto MPX and HPX gear and a couple of years ago bought a set of gear from Gill ( 5 dot Ocean Racer).

The Gill is far superior to teh Musto MPX, which I now rarely use, MPX is too stiff and heavy, and the bottoms dont keep your backside dry ( thats the real test, sit in standing water). The Gills itentionally have very few pockets , and its a one piece Gore-tex like material. no netting etc needed. I find it light flexible ( it has kevlar chafe patches) and dry. The only drawback is the hood not the best, but I dislike using hoods in all but the really dirtiest weather. I really like the Gill velco based shoulder straps on the trousers, much better then the Musto buckles

All this gear still allows you to sweat unfortunately, even with wicking mid layers. You do need some wind stopper polartec mid layers especially with teh Gill as being light it doesnt provide much thermal insulation, but in some climates that useful.

I have tried Hely Hanson and Musto underwear etc, but I still hate the smell that these develope after a while, its hard to beat cotton next to the skin , but if it gets wet your **&"ked

As to boots, I use dubarry Gore-tex sailing boots and deck shoes, but I find I rarely use the boots except in high lattitudes as I find them a little confining and I could do with a wide fit version ( which they dont do) , getting them off going below is a real PITA. Good boots though
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 19:05   #17
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

I used to have a Helly Hansen Ocean....
These days I use a wet suit and wind proof in cold foul weather... suited me fine on a December Biscay crossing... if I got cold I'd just pour some warm water down the neck.
If I go over the side it provides flotation and good swimming ability... and extends survival time...
When I had to go forward to change jibs it had less windage to fight against and no baggy bits to snag....it was a 22ftr...
Yup... cold weather gear for me is now a wetsuit... warm weather gear... skin..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 19:29   #18
Nearly an old salt

A wet suit , your kidding me, the amount of chafing that occurs over time and also I hate the feeling of being constricted. I ve used dry suits their OK , but still not my cup of tea

dave
Old 02-10-2010, 19:41   #19
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
A wet suit , your kidding me, the amount of chafing that occurs over time and also I hate the feeling of being constricted. I ve used dry suits their OK , but still not my cup of tea

dave
LOL... I solo most times and the suit (a shortie) only goes on if I have to go on deck to do/adjust something... the rest of the time I'm below snugged in my bag... in my warm weather gear.
Thats why I love tiller pilots.. and when they cannot cope any longer I heave to...
a 5 minute job in the nude.... followed by a brisk towel off.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 19:45   #20
Nearly an old salt

agh singlehanders, that explains it. mad as hatters, Mind thoese ships.....

dave
Old 02-10-2010, 19:47   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
If you are cruising in warm weather, Gill makes a long jacket that is ideal. It's long enough so that it keeps your shorts dry from spray and even sitting down if you are on the upwind side of the boat. No need for foul wx bibs. The material is light weight so you aren't sweating like in the Heavy Foul Weather Sauna Suits. Price is reasonable. Gill North America: Coast Lite Jacket Long IN10JL

On my recent TransPac wore my heavy foulies for the first 6 days or so because it never got above 55 degrees. From then on, it was the Gill long jacket if there was a need for foul wx gear. Glad I bought it.

As for boots, have a pair of rubber Wellies that are great for keeping salt water off my feet. They aren't so great for keeping my feet actually dry. After wearing them for 6 days my feet had that wrinkle skin water log look from perspiration. Imagine that constantly wearing them over a long passage could have serious fungal consequences. May have to spring for a pair of the Gore Tex boots for the trip north. Yikes, that $300 price tag is really hard to swallow, however.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:05   #22

I have some Guy Cotten gear amongst others, which, while relatively uncommon amongst yachties, is truly great stuff. They cater mostly to the offshore commercial fisherman but do have a sailing line without the yachtie prices.
There is a dealer/warehouse not too far from you in New Bedford. In fact, I think Halifax and New Bedford are it for North America. Must be where all the fish are.
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:34   #23
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post

Snowboard / ski goggles work good for really nasty weather so you can see.
Actually, I've learned to switch glasses for ski goggles as soon as my face or nose gets cold; they really warm things up.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:45   #24

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
Had problem w/ Gill delaminating as well. I have three sets for different weather conditions - warm to **** hits the fan.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 14:24   #25

Boat: Sold the boat. Buying a van.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
....As for boots, have a pair of rubber Wellies that are great for keeping salt water off my feet. They aren't so great for keeping my feet actually dry. After wearing them for 6 days my feet had that wrinkle skin water log look from perspiration.....
Try getting a set of wool felt insoles. The wool absorbs a lot moisture that otherwise would be absorbed by your skin. Whenever you can, pull the insoles out to dry. Better yet, get several sets so you can swap them out periodically. It doesn't totally eliminate the problem you describe, but it helps. Carrying extra pairs of wool socks and swapping them out also helps.

NOTE: you want wool insoles, the synthetic felt kind don't absorb moisture as well.
Old 03-10-2010, 14:46   #26

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45DS
A vote here for the Musto HPX if you are looking for truly tough gear and their customer service is great.

I bought an HPX suit (high trousers and jacket) and after washing the jacket (following exactly the instructions) there was minor delamination on the sleeve. I explained that I was due to fly out to the US in a few days and needed a fix. I sent them photos of the fault and they responded with a brand new 2010 jacket by courier the next day. This despite the fact I'd had the jacket for 3 - 4 years and had no purchase receipt.

Granted, this was from their UK HQ, but even so, I like to support companies with that kind of Cust service.

Having said that .... I don't tend to wear the HPX gear unless it's truly aweful out there. It's just a little too stiff and heavy for everyday use.

I also have a bunch of Helly Hansen gear (no specific models - sorry), and I would say they are some of the most underrated gear. The Norwegians know a thing or two about bad weather. The pricing in the UK isn't bad, but I've found it tends to be a lot higher for HH gear in the US.

For anyone in the UK (or stopping through) it would pay to get yourself to the factory outlet at Bicester Village, on the M40 (Jct 9) near Oxford. This is absolutely the best place to buy both Musto and HH gear direct from the factory.

Duncan
duncan_ellison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 15:32   #27

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I heave to ... a 5 minute job in the nude.... followed by a brisk towel off.
A 5 minute job in the nude can cost you near hypothermia. Probably not the way to go, if there can be another 5 minutes required any moment.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 15:41   #28

I also have a Gill jacket but not the 5 dot. I think mine is less a noble 3 dots. Little used but zero issues this far. Cheap too. Gill vs. Burke vs. Henri Lloyd - Gill same price but beats the others hands down.

As for above comment on warmth vs. smell of base layer, I agree - synthetics are warm and smell, naturals are wet but less smelly.

The only exception I found was silk not getting too smelly at all. The problem with silk is it does not last and is not easy to get today.

b.
Old 03-10-2010, 15:42   #29

I also want to share this one:

- our early foulies were all climbing gear (mostly from Mammut, Gore-tex). It was all magnificent quality and lasted us years.

b.
Old 03-10-2010, 16:08   #30

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

Down, if it is freezing.
Actually down is not an acceptable choice in a maritime climate. Moisture degrades the ability of down to maintain the loft which provides the insulation. Down is superior when weight is critical and the climate is dry like mountaineering.

A better choice are the synthetic insulating materials like thinsulate.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
foul weather gear