Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2021, 05:40   #1

Foul weather gear

Looking weather gear">Foul weather gear. Weekend warrior here, looking for recommendations. I’d like to keep it around/under $150 for the set possibly up to $200. Mostly a fair weather day sailor but trying to do more short cruises now that the restoration of my boat has hit the point I’m comfortable taking longer trips. These are likely something I’ll only put on a time or 2 a year so I’m not trying to spend $500. Home base is the Pamlico river/sound in North Carolina US.

Thanks in advance.
Jfloyd85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 06:27   #2

Boat: Islander 40
Re: Foul weather gear

Shop the US army surplus outlets, combat uniforms are goretex and that's about the cheapest you will find that fabric. It won't have the closures of quality foulies, the heavy zipper behind velcro flaps, the neoprene cuffs and neck, but it will repel water while remaining breathable. Camo is a good look on a boat! :-)

Personally I go to Helly Hansen for my gear, it is excellent! Hellytech is at least as good as goretex, possibly better. When conditions get rough, being uncomfortable is a distraction I don't need. HH gear keeps me dry in any weather.

If you watch the sales you can find some great deals, probably not in your target price range, but... you get what you pay for! This is an excellent jacket:

https://www.hellyhansen.com/en_gb/hp...o-jacket-34149

And if an existing customer refers you, you get 20% off your first purchase (not including sale items like that link, unfortunately.) And so does the referrer.

-MM
mmcginty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 16:24   #3

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Also look at camping stores as they have excellent wet weather gear that may suit your needs.
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 16:31   #4

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

Grundens.
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 16:36   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJHC View Post
Also look at camping stores as they have excellent wet weather gear that may suit your needs.
This ^^^

I found a decent rain jacket at Cabelas years ago that was on sale. It it decent quality and works. It is not something for offshore usage, but coastal or on the sound, it works just fine.

I would try REI, Cabelas, Sportsmans Guide, Duluth, Bass Pro Shops, Defender and West Marine. Wait for sales if you can. Memorial Day is almost here so there will be sales.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 17:16   #6
JPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefinitelyMe View Post
Grundens.
A local club I used to belong to had loaner foulies that were very much like the Grundens gear. It was pretty. basic as far as waterproof gear goes, but it worked fine. It wasn't breathable so it got pretty hot, but if you're only going to use it once or twice a year it's probably more than good enough.
JPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 18:58   #7

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

We have a local consignment shop that has a bunch of used foul weather gear still in good shape. I've been tempted myself, and I have good gear already! Do you have a local used marine gear shop around there somewhere?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 03:37   #8

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfloyd85 View Post
Looking Foul weather gear. Weekend warrior here, looking for recommendations. I’d like to keep it around/under $150 for the set possibly up to $200. Mostly a fair weather day sailor but trying to do more short cruises now that the restoration of my boat has hit the point I’m comfortable taking longer trips. These are likely something I’ll only put on a time or 2 a year so I’m not trying to spend $500. Home base is the Pamlico river/sound in North Carolina US.

Thanks in advance.

My suggestion is to spend a little bit more (still less than $300) for a west marine third reef pants & jacket and, with the type of use you envision (2-3 times a year), never have to think about it again for the next 10 years.

I believe that having decent gear is important also for coastal cruising (which is what I mostly do); knowing you’ll be comfortable also in bad weather may even push you to sail more without having to worry too much about a passing squall.

Fair winds
Old 07-05-2021, 05:32   #9

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPK View Post
A local club I used to belong to had loaner foulies that were very much like the Grundens gear. It was pretty. basic as far as waterproof gear goes, but it worked fine. It wasn't breathable so it got pretty hot, but if you're only going to use it once or twice a year it's probably more than good enough.
You get it two sizes too big. That way there's plenty of air moving in and out of there and the material itself doesn't need to be breathable. Of course, it only works if the wearer is relatively skinny :-)
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 06:04   #10

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

I've been pretty happy with a jacket and pants set I bought on Amazon for 25 dollars. I think the US manufacturer makes them for garbage collectors. They are not breathable, but 100% waterproof. I only put them on a few times a year while sailing, so I wasn't looking for anything fancy. I find I use the jacket more for going to shore. My boat has a hard dodger with windshield and bimini, so I don't really sail "in the elements." If I had an open cockpit, I would look for something better at keeping me dry. I think camping stores will have good options and less than "marine" prices.
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 07:58   #11

Boat: Bavaria 38E
Unhappy Re: Foul weather gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfloyd85 View Post
Looking Foul weather gear. Weekend warrior here, looking for recommendations. I’d like to keep it around/under $150 for the set possibly up to $200. Mostly a fair weather day sailor but trying to do more short cruises now that the restoration of my boat has hit the point I’m comfortable taking longer trips. These are likely something I’ll only put on a time or 2 a year so I’m not trying to spend $500. Home base is the Pamlico river/sound in North Carolina US.

Thanks in advance.
We don’t have much foul weather, as in rain, here in southern California. (No pop-up T-storms!) I usually stay in when it is about. I also haven’t experienced conditions where solid water floods the cockpit, even briefly, in my present boat (high freeboard). Nevertheless, I do sometimes don the gear when it’s cold, damp and windy—conditions we do have aplenty here along the CA coast, to protect against spray. I had bought Henri Loyd bibs a few years back for myself, and a Musto jacket for me first mate, more “quality” (expense) than we’ve actually needed. The Loyd bibs are for a long-past waist size so I recently replaced them with Grundens bibs.

Mine are the basic deck gear of fishing boat crews. Light, inexpensive, thus not fashionable in the yachting sense but very practical especially when used with boots. Easy to put on and to get off; easy to stow. I just wear my years old WM jacket which still fits over the Grundens bibs and I’m good to go. Can order them from a store like Hamilton Marine in ME, but lately I’ve taken notice of them in marine stores (non WM) in working harbors such as in Ventura (CA) and Bellingham (WA). My new bibs cost me $100 a few years back. I like ‘em, but the basic ones I have might not be suitable on a very wet boat.
Auklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 20:32   #12

Check out tribord series at Decathlon. Not used personally but have seen a friend wearing and looks very impressive for price.
SB Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2021, 12:20   #13

Just my .02- Frog Toggs are warm, cheap, but not as resilient. Grundens bibs or pants are irreplaceable. Great stuff.
clippercol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2021, 12:31   #14

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1

Find something you like that is expensive and scour through eBay for it. Nothing wrong with used if it’s in excellent shape and many times I find stuff half off or better brand new with tags or without on eBay.

Sam
Sam Woodbridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
foul weather gear, gear, weather