Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2015, 18:43   #16

Boat: Ericson 27, Laguna 18
Re: Foot Powered Washing Machine - The Drumi

I've been using a bucket and toilet plunger (sometimes called a "hillbilly laundromat") for years . Cheap and works great. Only hard part is wringing out the clothes between wash and rinse.
df1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 18:57   #17

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl

We use two buckets, a plunger, and a crank wringer. We've evolved a pretty good system for our family of four, one of whom is extraordinarily messy.

If I can find out how to buy it, I would love to get a Vimbas Venus -- a plug in bucket swirler. My daughter is not 100% potty trained and it would be so luxurious, after a disaster, to throw it all in a bucket with one of these things and let it swish and swirl and froth for a good long time.

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">
Old 24-04-2015, 18:57   #18

Boat: 1986 Tosca 36'
Send a message via Skype™ to american

Quote:
Originally Posted by df1995 View Post
I've been using a bucket and toilet plunger (sometimes called a "hillbilly laundromat") for years . Cheap and works great. Only hard part is wringing out the clothes between wash and rinse.
This is what we do - except we don't even bother with the toilet plunger. Just use our feet! Works fine - except that I did once slip on the deck and fall into the water - but everyone on board thought that was an excellent additional to the clothes washing routine. Luckily, we were at anchor!

I have to admit, this little foot-powered washer might be cooler to look at on YouTube than actually use on a boat - and that for most people the bucket/foot/plunger setup is just fine. Then again, what's the point of product marketing if it doesn't make us think, "That's neat! I need one!"
Old 24-04-2015, 19:36   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Use a cheap salad spinner to get the water out Buy online Latest Culina 5qt Space Saving Salad Spinner on Dealtz.com
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 19:39   #20

Boat: Ericson 27, Laguna 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by msponer View Post
We use two buckets, a plunger, and a crank wringer.
Where can one buy a crank wringer (or "mangler", as they were called in my youth, from what happens if you get your hand in it)?
df1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 20:18   #21

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl

Quote:
Where can one buy a crank wringer (or "mangler", as they were called in my youth, from what happens if you get your hand in it)?
Dyna-Jet Heavy Duty Chamois/Towel Wringer BL-44. It works well. It squeezes out the soapy water so that we don't have to rinse as much. We use clamps from a propane BBQ to attach it to the bars near the helm.

Sometimes we add a little vinegar to the rinse water, it seems to help get the soap out with less water.

We also do a one step (no rinse) wash with ammonia, and no soap, for certain laundry. Like the bed wetters sheets. They come out feeling clean, but it doesn't do anything for dirt.

Another part of our strategy is to have the right clothes. Some synthetics seem to repel dirt, and are easy to clean with little water. Cotton, especially thick cotton, takes more scrubbing to get clean and then a lot more water to rinse out.
Old 24-04-2015, 20:59   #22

Boat: 1986 Tosca 36'
Send a message via Skype™ to american

Quote:
Originally Posted by msponer View Post
Another part of our strategy is to have the right clothes. Some synthetics seem to repel dirt, and are easy to clean with little water. Cotton, especially thick cotton, takes more scrubbing to get clean and then a lot more water to rinse out.
This was a critical part of my learning as well. Sailing around the tropics, my initial set of boat clothes were all cotton - t-shirts, shorts, underwear, etc. After a few outings, and realizing that cotton stuff never dried once wet, I replaced everything with synthetics. Now... sad to say, this stuff stays so dry (and seemingly clean) that I'll go several days with the same pair of shorts.
Old 24-04-2015, 22:15   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

This one is $26.17 on Amazon with free shipping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	washboard.jpg
Views:	622
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	100905   Click image for larger version

Name:	It's her job.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	100906  

Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags