Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2011, 10:24   #1

Fitness During Passage

I was wondering what you guys do during a long passage (> 2 weeks) to keep the body in shape. I assume nobody has a home trainer on board. Any ideas what can be done to keep one fit (except for grinding ... :-)
Zonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 10:25   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Good question, especially what are some of the ideas for getting ones cardio?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 10:28   #3

I do a lot of mountain biking and it takes awful a lot of time to keep a high level of endurance. On a boat I would need to have some sort of a home trainer - but where to place it ?!
Zonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 10:28   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

36-24-36 comes to mind.....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 10:49   #5
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Folks will come off a passage fitter than when they started if on a monohull. The longer the better. Cardio work is excellent for upper body with sail handling. Lower body by resisting boat movement. People are slimmer, toned from tootsies to glutes, tummies, shoulders and arms.
As you suggested in your second post one particular set of usually unused muscles not designed by nature to ride bikes you may notice muscle wasting to make you look normal again.
That could be your problem.

sailing is like a trip to the gym but one doesnt notice the pain like in a gym

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 11:11   #6

Boat: boat less ATM
Theraband exercises. It will also help your rehabititation after you have to haul up the anchor when the windlass breaks in an exotic location.
Thera-Band Systems of Progressive Exercise
http://www.thera-band.com/UserFiles/...ion_Manual.pdf
Also try rowing your dinghy instead of using the OB.
svstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 11:11   #7

Boat: 50' sloop
Greetings Zonker,

Welcome to CF! Have you knowledge of "Pilates" as an exercise method?

The difficulties of getting proper exercise while onboard is an issue for us as well. My husband and I are very active and feel that good health is essential to a long healthy life: regular exercise is mandatory! While searching for a method to be used onboard - we discovered Pilates.

The founder Joseph Pilates, developed this method during WWI. He worked to help confined wounded soldiers. His principles grew and expanded over time and continues today. It to be used regularly in rehab settings and growing in popularity in the exercise/health arena. The benefits go way beyond rehab and can be suited to any age, fitness level, and difficulty level.

Pilates compliments sailors/boaters physique because it focuses on strengthening the "powerhouse" or "core" (our torso) with controlled movements and balance and can be accomplished using minimal equipment. It will increase flexibility, release tension in tired fatigued muscles (possibly my favorite aspect), while strengthening the muscles and body overall. Being ashore while preparing for your future departure offers the opportunity of investigating and training with a professional to assist in finding what will suit your needs best particularly while onboard. (Trainers will come to your boat to assess the environment and assist in developing a workable routine.)

Pilates requires minimal equipment that's easily stored, of minimal weight, not mechanical (no grease/oil), and non-corrosive (unless you incorporate industrial size springs which are, in fact, very effective.)

Basic pieces: A mat (a good workout can be had with this alone) and instructions (book, video).
Added difficulty: A ring (wt 2 lbs.), a "Pilates Stick" (wt 5 lbs.), or industrial springs with straps (or line - not rubber bands as they will fatigue and could break while in use, possibly causing harm).

A studio setting uses equipment (a reformer, a cadillac, a tower, etc.) which expedites the results and helps perfect form. Although mat work often times doesn't appear to be strenuous - when executed properly it is very focused and difficult. Muscles will tone, strengthen, and stretch similarly to those of a professional dancer. (I often times feel as if I've had a massage after completing a 90 minute workout with a trainer in a studio!)

For a quick intro "Youtube" offers videos giving better explanations than I'm able to articulate. A link showing a basic intro for The Pilates Stick is: youtube.com/watch?=jlu_tp0ro3A&NR=1 (hope the link works - It's five min clip). A studio I used while visiting GA also has a clip: www. BodyVisionStudio.com.

As a three year devotee I continue to perfect what can be done onboard and currently attempting to utilize the "Pilates Stick" ( recommended by a trainer to assist while traveling ). The first time I attempted a mat workout on the deck, we had a partly clouded sky, a light breeze blowing, and we were anchored off a pretty island: a larger than expected wave hit the boat rolling her to starboard while I was in a "teaser" position (both feet and both hands held forward and high in the air toward the bow and I just rolled over like a crazy shaped ball into an opened hatch and burst into laughter. It felt absurd but I kept my form in spite of loosing the support to my bum, LOL! (a "missed" comical video clip!) My u-shaped galley offers a perfect setting to counter that rolling business and numerous positions (poses) can be managed without fear. (smiling)

Hope this is of help and wish you the best in your preparations and successful move to a cruising life!

Kind regards,
Sailing Mermaid
Sailing Mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 11:30   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
we have an exercise bike on the aft deck that runs a small electric alternator,so if the crew want to watch movies they have got to pedel for a few hours,keeps fitness freaks more than happy on long trips,thinking of fitting a second one......
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 17:20   #9

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
we have an exercise bike on the aft deck that runs a small electric alternator,so if the crew want to watch movies they have got to pedel for a few hours,keeps fitness freaks more than happy on long trips,thinking of fitting a second one......
Pictures please. PLEASE.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 17:28   #10
cruiser

when i first saw the title, i though it said,

fitness during passion...
Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 17:35   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
will post photos,though under going refit so boat stripped at the moment.
bergavoyer;used to tell the first wife sex was a great cure for sea sickness;don't know if it helped but we got very fit............
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 17:47   #12
cruiser

rofl + cgu

bergovoyer.. or is it beg o voyer
Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2011, 07:00   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
The Tai Chi foundation exercises should keep you relatively fit and are good for legs, back and shoulders especially. Couple those with push-ups, sit-ups and pull-ups and you should be ready to tackle the mountain bike as soon as you hit land.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2011, 07:21   #14
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonker View Post
I was wondering what you guys do during a long passage (> 2 weeks) to keep the body in shape. I assume nobody has a home trainer on board. Any ideas what can be done to keep one fit (except for grinding ... :-)
I sort of run on the spot in the cockpit, but stepping up onto the lockers each time then back down into the cockpit, one side then the other. 100 times a couple of times a day, holding on to the sprayhood for balance.

Also, and please let me not be the only singlehander that does this, turn up Led Zep or Stevie ray Vaughen really really loud and dance embarassingly badly for a few minutes.

And another also - anyone else meditate offshore? perfect place, especially solo, I did it maybe hour and half/couple hours a day last passage across atlantic. And my my what a busy head constantly full of nonsense is sitting upon these shoulders.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2011, 07:25   #15

Boat: 1976 Alberg 37 Yawl hull 172
We started using this recently at our gym:

TRX Suspension Training - best body weight fitness training tools

...one of the few things I've seen that will let you work out your lower body as well as upper & core. I don't think you could use it in any real seaway, but most exercise equipment would be affected that way.

The only cardio I can think of would be a daily swim call, if you could stand to stop the boat for 20-30 minutes each day.