Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2011, 13:52   #31

Boat: Allures 44
Quote:
pushups, pullups, crunches, flutterkicks, plank fm elbows, mountain climbers and 8 count bodybuilders all good core fitness and require minimal space and help me maintain my girlish figure.
Good suggestions. You need to get the large muscles going in order to elevate the heart rate, and you need exercises that are safe to perform while the boat's in motion. Try and sustain these circuits, 50 seconds on and 10 seconds off, for at least 30 minutes.

You can also do squats (grab a handhold for balance) and, if sea state allows, step ups (again, hold onto something). Once at anchor or on the beach you can add jumpies, lunges, etc. No equipment required.
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 15:05   #32

Boat: Davidson 46, 14m LOA
I prefer Pilates of the Carribbean ...... that's where you lie on the floor in loose fitting clothing and drink rum.
Old 26-01-2011, 15:56   #33
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReMetau View Post
My favorite.....SEX with the wife.
hey thats my favorite too... sex with your wife!

what a coincedence

hehehehe
Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 16:15   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
hey thats my favorite too... sex with your wife!

what a coincedence

hehehehe

photos available
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:16   #35

Boat: 50' sloop
Ryan Gibbs DVD just released

Hi -

A friend recommended this DVD. She is a gym/machine girl who added Pilates after hearing of Ryan Gibbs success. (She's a huge "football/soccer" fan and followed Mr Gibbs recovery and return to the field by utilizing Pilates after a serious injury.)

Giggs Fitness: Strength & conditioning Inspired by Yoga (DVD)
Costs appx 10 pounds on Amazon.co.uk. and has good reviews.

Sailing Mermaid
Sailing Mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:03   #36

Boat: a sailing boat
Some bigger boats carry fitness machines onboard. Otherwise, if on a cat, one can probably do a lot. On a rolly mono much less so.

Swimming is an option often. Various stretching, pilates, exercises, etc. work great and can be taken anytime and in any position.

On my boat I can only do just this - keep the tone, but strength is lost every time we go offshore.

Big problem are leg muscles. I will walk or run between 10 to 20 km per day when on land. How to substitute this in a boat? Some sort of a bike machine probably would be best. With an alternator in it to use the energy and create some resistance.

Then there is the back. I met more sailors with back problems than with any other muscle/skeleton issues. A friend of mine who is a yoga instructor showed to me two exercises and one of them is OK in a boat - done while sitting - the top rotates while the hips stay put, the head 90 degs to the arms (NOT trying to 'look back'). Him, being a yogga, he also visualises the white light filling the spaces between whatever it is that makes our lower columna. Breathe in when looking fore, breathe out when looking to the side.

In fact, I think that a 'yoga for cruisers' would not be another marketing gimmick but something of actual worth.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:34   #37
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
i dont do formal exercises but i find the boat movement and countering that is a lot of work so i dont worry about tiring myself excessively for no reason other than mere exercise. i amn ot a fan of exercise addiction..yes it is an addiction. much has been written on this subject, so i will not add more-- my sailing trim is size31-32 levis button front jeans--and i dont gain while sailing
and i can still ride a ike at 28 mph and kayak at 3 1/2 kts -- these are my CRUISING speeds. lol.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:23   #38

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
snip
Then there is the back. I met more sailors with back problems than with any other muscle/skeleton issues. A friend of mine who is a yoga instructor showed to me two exercises and one of them is OK in a boat - done while sitting - the top rotates while the hips stay put, the head 90 degrees to the arms (NOT trying to 'look back'). Him, being a yogga, he also visualises the white light filling the spaces between whatever it is that makes our lower columna. Breathe in when looking fore, breathe out when looking to the side.

snip
b.
I tend to have occasional lower back issues and have found a routine that works for me. The first steps to limit back problems are to strengthen the core and keep flexible:
1) Do crunches while lying on back on a level surface (cabin sole, cockpit sole, fore-deck?) and elevate your legs so calves are horizontal on a seat or other rest. (Use a mat or towel on the sole, do not pull your head or neck with your hands). Do as many as you can and work your way up to at least 100 reps. (100-200 is enough if you're already capable.)
2) Move away from the leg support and wile keeping shoulders square against the floor, rotate your hips slowly so your knees to touch the sole. Do one side then the other a few times until you're feeling loose. You may hear some cracking.
3) Do side-stretches, slowly, as far as you can without strain, until you make progress to loosen yourself up (listen to your body) usually about 5 minutes.
4) I conclude the above routine by using a Spine-Worx according to directions. This is the next best thing to having a chiropractor aboard. Amazon.com: Spine-Worx Back Realignment Device: Health & Personal Care

Since I have been doing this routine I have not had back problems (knock wood)
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 17:25   #39
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Folks will come off a passage fitter than when they started if on a monohull. The longer the better. Cardio work is excellent for upper body with sail handling. Lower body by resisting boat movement. People are slimmer, toned from tootsies to glutes, tummies, shoulders and arms.
As you suggested in your second post one particular set of usually unused muscles not designed by nature to ride bikes you may notice muscle wasting to make you look normal again.
That could be your problem.

sailing is like a trip to the gym but one doesnt notice the pain like in a gym
hmmm,,, I put on 2Kgs on a trans altantic trip

Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 18:08   #40

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Folks will come off a passage fitter than when they started if on a monohull. The longer the better. Cardio work is excellent for upper body with sail handling. Lower body by resisting boat movement. People are slimmer, toned from tootsies to glutes, tummies, shoulders and arms.

I thought you were serious and then I stumbled upon your smiley ;-)

Cheers,
barnie
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote