Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2018, 11:32   #16

Re: Fitness

I was wondering about this topic, too because I love exercising.

I do Sleek Technique:

Should be fun on the high seas.
Old 25-01-2018, 23:34   #17

He has accurate biomechanics of exercises:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Pfd9b6ZeNodzz2

(His advice for beginners to start with heavy weights is inaccurate, though since joints take a longer time to strengthen than muscles do.)
~
It's more intelligent to do some arm/shoulder exercises with the natural rotation of the arm/shoulder. Something that doctors who see injuries know.
You could use a resistance band:
The serpent spiral power punch

~
Finally, for days when you need exercises that feel like a massage, but also give you covert quick strengthening, there is Callanetics:

Don't forget to flip over and work the opposing muscle groups.
Old 22-02-2018, 01:55   #18

Whenever someone asks this I always think of the Hobie Mirage kayaks. Pedal drives with paddling is an amazing cardiovascular workout, low impact too. I have been lobster colored and gasping for air while kicking my arse at anchor getting a workout in. Depending on your boat they can fit nicely against one side against lifelines and even some big boats, especially cats, get kayak/sup racks. Otherwise they make inflatable versions no. Your love of cruising goes up exponentially with boat toys in my experience.

Also, flush deck boats, not sure what you have, are awesome for yoga/pilates/acrobatic workouts. Love the big flush deck, have even had real lounge chairs on deck, lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supers0nic View Post
Hello friends.

I’ve searched the threads and maybe have missed it, but have not been able to find anything regarding staying physically fit while cruising.
My girlfriend and I are full time liveaboards but will not start our cruising until 2020. We both go to the gym regularly and keep ourselves in pretty decent shape for our age (I’m 58 and she’s 50). We mix it up with both cardio and weight training about 5 days a week. Our small 33’ boat has no room for weights or bulky exercise equipment.
Is it possible to stay fit and healthy while cruising? What works for you? Please share. Ty.
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 04:43   #19

Boat: Mauritius 43 Sloop

On passages, you're going to miss out on exercise. On a small boat, there isn't the space to move around much. In all but the calmest seas, the motion isn't conducive to exercise. Planks, bombers or other bodyweight exercises in the cockpit while under sail get an added dimension of what I suppose you could call "dynamic tension": takes more effort to avoid falling into the footwell . When at anchor, swimming/diving are great, at least in the tropics.

You're going to miss out on some things when cruising. I still miss lifting and actual sports, but most office jockeys give that stuff up by their 30s anyway.
atmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 04:49   #20
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Fitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa36 View Post
He has accurate biomechanics of exercises:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Pfd9b6ZeNodzz2

(His advice for beginners to start with heavy weights is inaccurate, though since joints take a longer time to strengthen than muscles do.)
~
It's more intelligent to do some arm/shoulder exercises with the natural rotation of the arm/shoulder. Something that doctors who see injuries know.
You could use a resistance band:
The serpent spiral power punch

~
Finally, for days when you need exercises that feel like a massage, but also give you covert quick strengthening, there is Callanetics:

Don't forget to flip over and work the opposing muscle groups.
Please, please.. can I watch you try some of those at sea every day..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 05:06   #21

I'm a big fan of TRX. It takes a while to get into if you are used to free weights and benches, but once you do, you can get a proper workout done with it, much better than body weight alone. For example when using it to do inverted bench pressing, where my body is the effectively the bar bell, I ask someone to put a holdall full of heavy stuff on my back, which means I can be pressing around 100kg with it no problem, which much more effective than normal push ups for building and maintaining muscle mass.

As for cardio. Swimming, cycling and running, what more do you need?
Kristoff21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 06:02   #22

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmartin View Post
You're going to miss out on some things when cruising. I still miss lifting and actual sports, but most office jockeys give that stuff up by their 30s anyway.
Nice try, but totally false.

We office jockeys get the best of both worlds .......sailing and working out at the gym and/or running and cycling for cardio

After work, it's our choice.

Also, if you have a gym in your office building, you can get in some exercise on breaks etc then run or cycle after work

With our sailing (office jockey sailing), it's usually coastal cruising since we mainly sail on the weekends and vacations so we are at anchor at most days end which means lots of chances to exercise in the am with kayaking to shore for a hike, run, or cliff/bluff climb

On top of all this, we have our choice of the best quality of food at the farmers markets and organic grocery stores etc........
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 06:22   #23

Boat: Mauritius 43 Sloop

Hey Thomm-

I'm well aware you guys have more options if you want a pump. Hell, I'm jealous.

I console myself with the fact that most of my cohort have given up on any kind of serious exercise at this point. Not sure why they do it, but something about stationary work seems to wear most people down. The ubermensh who get at at 5am, jog, work 9 hours at corporate, breaking only for fitness and a 'sensible' lunch, then get off only to race performance dinghies, climb rocks on long summer days, then finish off with HIIT are operating on a higher plane of existence. Mortals like me have no business comparing ourselves to them.
atmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 06:55   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmartin View Post
Hey Thomm-

I'm well aware you guys have more options if you want a pump. Hell, I'm jealous.

I console myself with the fact that most of my cohort have given up on any kind of serious exercise at this point. Not sure why they do it, but something about stationary work seems to wear most people down. The ubermensh who get at at 5am, jog, work 9 hours at corporate, breaking only for fitness and a 'sensible' lunch, then get off only to race performance dinghies, climb rocks on long summer days, then finish off with HIIT are operating on a higher plane of existence. Mortals like me have no business comparing ourselves to them.
No way am I going to do the 5 am thing and miss my peaceful wakeup/coffee time

Also at 60 years of age plus, it takes forever to recover (3 days) after say a 2-3 mile "old man" run with prerun pullups, pushups, and stretching but I only feel "right" with regular exercise.

Another land based exercise is running/hiking with or fighting over sticks with my son's dog.

He will give you one hell of a workout and since he refuses to give me "his" stick after he fetches it this results in a tug of war / wrestling match
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mitchell near the CBBT.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	164633   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mitchell in Little Creek.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	164634  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mitchell @Chesapeake Bay.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	164635  
Old 22-02-2018, 07:38   #25

Boat: Jeanneau 45,2

I agree with the rest ..Trx it’s enough for what you need ..
Stakaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 07:54   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stakaman View Post
I agree with the rest ..Trx it’s enough for what you need ..
I seriously doubt you will be able to get a good cardio workout with TRX aboard most sailboats while cruising.......

Folks may just have to forget that part of their fitness regime during long open water/ocean crossings
Old 22-02-2018, 08:47   #27

Boat: Jeanneau 45,2

I depends what cardio level you are targeting on a sail boat ? We can be flexible I think
By increasing the number of the reps and minimize the rest time close to zero can produce quality blood flaw and increased hart rate in nice levels ..
Stakaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 10:15   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stakaman View Post
I depends what cardio level you are targeting on a sail boat ? We can be flexible I think
By increasing the number of the reps and minimize the rest time close to zero can produce quality blood flaw and increased hart rate in nice levels ..
You can get in some sort of a cardio workout on a sailboat maybe, but I'm thinking it will never compare with a 2-3 mile run or 20-30 mile bike ride.....that you can do before you sail

I try to do my run or ride on Thursday before my weekend sails where I'll probably only be kayaking or hiking at my anchorages.

For long distance cruising, you'll just have to wait or devise something like doing a few sets of 100-200 squats none stop with body weight only or doing some sort of air cycling with your legs being constant up in the air
Old 22-02-2018, 10:23   #29
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Fitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
You can get in some sort of a cardio workout on a sailboat maybe, but I'm thinking it will never compare with a 2-3 mile run or 20-30 mile bike ride.....that you can do before you sail

I try to do my run or ride on Thursday before my weekend sails where I'll probably only be kayaking or hiking at my anchorages.

For long distance cruising, you'll just have to wait or devise something like doing a few sets of 100-200 squats none stop with body weight only or doing some sort of air cycling with your legs being constant up in the air
Man o man.. that's just sick..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 10:54   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Man o man.. that's just sick..
True enough.

Some of us workout fanatics sometimes feel we cannot miss a session or a ride/run

I was averaging around 150 miles per week cycling a few years back (damn, 10 years ) and definitely didn't feel right if I missed one of my weeknight 25 -30 mile rides or the hard weekend rides of 50-70 miles with the triathletes and bike racers.

I went from almost 190 pounds to 174 and looked thinner.

It can become an addiction.....

I did get to upgrade to a nice Titanium Dura-Ace Litespeed Vortex 10 speed though. We cyclists mess around with our bikes, its adjustments, and their components every bit as much as a sailor/cruiser does with his boat

Btw, I paid $3,300.00 for my used 2004 Litespeed Bicycle and $2,000 for my used sailboat.