Old 22-04-2019, 08:50   #46

Boat: Nonsuch 30
Re: First aid kit recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
I recently came across this:

https://www.ziplinemedical.com/

Might be good to have on board.

Much easier than needle and thread. My brother is a surgeon and I remember him training myself to suture up a gasping gash in an orange (as in fruit!) before a longer cruise in 2004.
This new stuff seems way easier, especially on a rocking boat.
When we were heading off cruising I asked my dock mate doc for instructions on suturing. He suggested a skin stapler instead. I asked him how you use one and he asked if I knew how to use a stapler. It will lead to more scarring but that is a good thing for making one look like a tough mariner type. Apparently skin staplers come two to a package (each in a sterile package) and something like knee surgery only uses one so they get thrown out. If you know a surgeon ...
Old 22-04-2019, 08:56   #47

Boat: William Atkins 26' tops'l gaff cutter

Wooden Boat Magazine has section in each issue about the basics of boating. The current issue features first aid, breaking the topic down into its components, and strategies for their storage and use.

If anything, it is rather more elaborate than necessary, but might be useful for framing your own approach.

Buying a well thought-out kit is by no means a bad idea, but if you have the time to consider the contents in the context of your own skills and understanding, the act of assembling it will be valuable in and of itself.

Best of luck -- remember, having stuff you'll never use is a blessing. Exactly what you hope for, in fact ;-)
Old 22-04-2019, 09:33   #48

The CCA (Cruising Club of America) has an excellent site open to the public.
https://sas.cruisingclub.org/fleetmd
Drewnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 10:11   #49

Boat: 1997 Sabre 362

Mine is self assembled and pretty complete. Practical Sailor has a lot on this topic
Shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 10:38   #50

First Aid .... Let's see. RUM for cuts and sore muscles. Vinegar and Tequila for sun burns (one you drink the other you put on your skin .... users choice I guess). RUM for those times you don't get the perfect ball. A towel to wipe up blood (because you will NEVER spill your RUM). And lastly H2O just in case you have people on board who can't handle straight medicine ... or RUM!! That about covers First Aid for Sailors ..... be safe out there and Fair winds!!!
Mush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 11:11   #51

Hi Dr D. I’m new at commenting here so I hope this comes through in an intelligent fashion! I educate boaters on how to handle medical emergencies on the water. A big part of that is having the right tools to do the job. I’m a big fan of building your own kit, customized to who you are and the kind of boating you do. If it’s helpful, please check out my website shellygalligan.com. I have information there on things nautical and medical, including kit building. I also am happy to share a list of what I want with me offshore to give you a place to start your kit. I just wrote an article on this subject for WoodenBoat magazine for their “Getting Started In Boats” tear-out section in the May/June #268 edition that may be helpful to you as well. Feel free to PM me with any questions you have. Thank you. Shelly G
happyshelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 12:49   #52

Boat: Other people's boats

Regarding suturing, I would suggest that people spend more time learning to properly clean a wound to start with. If you want an idea of what happens when you don't do that, here's a fun read.

As to CPR, compression only is fine when you can have advanced care quickly on site, but rescue breathing has its uses as well. And, let's be honest; without having an AED on board any CPR attempts are likely futile (with an AED the odds aren't exactly spectacular either).

These days, at least from what I've observed in wilderness first aid and similar protocols, a common message is, "Remember that thing you learned back in the day? Don't do that".
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 14:52   #53

Boat: Down East Yachts, Downeaster 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by requiem View Post
As to CPR, compression only is fine when you can have advanced care quickly on site, but rescue breathing has its uses as well. And, let's be honest; without having an AED on board any CPR attempts are likely futile (with an AED the odds aren't exactly spectacular either).

In the 'Comprehensive Guide to Marine Medicine' that comes with Adventure Medical's Marine 3000 kit, it says under the CPR section that unless the cause of weak/no pulse is from a near drowning, lightning strike or other immediate injury, that CPR is likely not going to help. In other words, if the CPR is needed because of a chronic condition, unless help is close by, there isn't much use.

Cold hard facts of wilderness medical.
Downeaster 38 #40
"Downeast Yachts - More sailing per mile since 1975"
Argyle38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 14:54   #54
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Ann-
There's a Yiddish word, bubbameiser, that translates very loosely into "fairy tales your grandmother believed in". Sometimes the old fairy tales persist. Sometimes they were right.(G)

Touching on CPR and AEDs, I just renewed my CPR training this week and was told that now the push is really on for AEDs. Basically, if an AED is found promptly, there's an excellent chance of full recovery. If CPR is used without an AED...not so good. Yes, the $1400 or so for a cheap one, plus maintenance over the years, ain't cheap. But since they apparently make a drastic difference in the survival rate, might be worth putting one on the list.

Suturing is also now no longer the primary recommendation for all wounds. Apparently the suture material, no matter how clean, leaves a pathway for infection. As opposed to the new generations of surgical glue, that seal the wound up and eliminate any questions of keeping things out of it. With staples (eech) coming in between. Surgical glue also has the advantage that no one has to remove it ten days later.

"Change is the only constant."
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 15:14   #55

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Hey, am I the only one here that finds it somewhat strange that someone who goes by the name of Dr D is seeking information regarding a first aid kit ??:

Well, my last name begins with "D" and many people find it difficult to pronouce. I have a Ph.D. (physics), so "Dr. D" quickly became my nickname.

As mentioned above, I was a Navy Hospital Corpsman, so then I was "Doc", like all Corpsman. My years of duty weren't long after all vessels were sailing vessels....
Dr. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 15:54   #56

Boat: Other people's boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Suturing is also now no longer the primary recommendation for all wounds. Apparently the suture material, no matter how clean, leaves a pathway for infection. As opposed to the new generations of surgical glue, that seal the wound up and eliminate any questions of keeping things out of it.
While poking new holes in the skin adds some potential for infection, a big problem is what may already be in the wound (which comes back to the importance of thorough wound irrigation). Closing wounds, whether by sutures or superglue, can provide a warm, moist incubator for infection.

There are cases where closing a wound may be appropriate, but "I need to close this up" shouldn't be an automatic response. If it's a particularly bad wound (tissue damage/infection potential/puncture wound) or there's other uncertainty, you don't need to close it. Closure can be delayed, or simply not done. Again, these are topics that a good wilderness first aid course should cover. (Additional reading here.)

Sutures, antibiotic ointments, and things like hydrogen peroxide are all items I generally don't bother with. A small percentage of people are also allergic to the double/triple antibiotics, which means using them on skin can turn a small scrape into a red, blistery mess. Liters of clean water and an irrigation syringe can make a much greater difference.

(obligatory "not a doctor" disclaimer)
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 16:57   #57
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Good point, requiem. But normally, for the "less than axe gash" stuff, you clean easily clean the wound out, and then keeping it closed and clean will be the usual goal. Something that needs to be kept open with a drain in it is a whole other issue. Internal stitching, a whole other issue. And the surgical glue CAN be dissolved and wiped off, if something goes wrong in the wound.

One size never fits all, but it seems like most docs prefer to use staples simply because they are sloppy tailors. And, they get a second billable procedure when they have to remove either one.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 17:42   #58

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Staples, definitely for docs' convenience. My tkr's scars are pretty gross, but a friend's who had his done in Australia, you can hardly see the scar line, let alone all the staple hole scars.

Ann
Old 22-04-2019, 18:36   #59

Boat: Farr 1020 10.2 m

Virtually all commercial kits will be good except for one design flaw and one omission.

Design flaw - they are usually one big, tightly packed box. Rummaging through, in a rough sea, will likely spill all over the place. Once you find what you need, you are unlikely to close up the box, rather, rush to apply the product you have just located. Allowing more time for the kit to unload itself into the bilge.

Suggest breaking the kit into purpose units - say:
small first aid: bandaids, pain killers, tweezers, burn cream, antiseptic ointments etc
Bleeding wounds:absorbent pads, non stick pads, adhesive tape, sutures / closers, etc
Eyes: saline wash, pads, eye patches etc
Teeth: oil of cloves, beeswax, temporary fillings, etc
And so on.

Doing purpose kits helped me work out what I really wanted.

Also, seal your kit(s) with a bit of cellotape or paper tape so you’ll know if it’s been opened, and can replenish if necessary.

The omission? Bed pan. Someone laid out with serious trauma will likely need it within 6 hours.

“Remote Area First Aid” is defined as more than 1 hour until hand over to a professional. Which is basically all of our sailing! Remote Area courses introduce you to nursing and wound management. This will be important in dealing with an event at sea.
Fidsplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 19:29   #60

Boat: Farr 1020 10.2 m

Many good responses. Agree with Slipaway, you need several specific purpose kits. Big, single, kits are tight packed. The contents end up everywhere in a rough sea and an emergency.
Breaking you big kit into small sealable boxes (contents label visible from the outside) helps you really understand what you want. (Small, bleeding, eyes, teeth, illness etc).

Also, seal your boxes with an easy to remove or break bit of tape, so you know if it’s been opened and needs checking / restocking.

“Remote Area First Aid” is defined as more than 1 hour to handover to a professional. Woops, that’s all our boating. Do a remote area course if one is available, it extends into management and nursing, the stuff that really matters at sea.

Finally, no kit I’ve encountered includes a bedpan. If someone is physically disabled for whatever reason, it is likely you’ll find a bedpan useful within 6 to 8 hours, and so will they!
Fidsplice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men