Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2007, 12:01   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ess105
In 10 seconds, a boat travelling at 10 knots will cover 100 feet and that's before you turn. That's quite a distance to try and find someone after you've taken your eyes off them.
Actually at 10 knots you are moving at 18 ft/sec. So in 15 seconds you are close to one football field away. Hence the quick stop method is our preffered way to stop the damn thing.

If you have a kite up you do not have time to douse it, all you can do is cut the corners (sheet, tack, and halyard). Even then you will be 1000 yards away. If you fall off the boat when sailing shorthanded and there is any sea running you are probably dead. But hey, no sense dwelling on that, prepare for it and get on with things. Clip on.

Friends of ours were making a transport for a race. They were heading out when one of the guys was washed overboard. Conditions were shitty, 9-12 footer very close period and breaking, blowing 25 to 35. They were extremely lucky to get the guy back on board even with a full crew aboard. They lucked out when they were upwind of the swimmer. They dropped off the wave face right next to the swimmer just as the leeward rail dipped they grabbed him. Even with the full crew it took them 20 minutes. They said screw the transport and headed in and went to a bar.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 12:07   #32

Boat: Lagoon 420
We find it a good idea to MOB drill any time an item of clothing goes in the water (usually hats). Makes for a very spontaneous response, absolutely requires the finger pointing, puts you under time pressure (before hat sinks) and lets you get a few of your hats back.
Old 05-01-2007, 14:22   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
My shopping list...

If I ever get away from the dock my shopping list has a lifesling and inflatable PFDs on it.
There are also personal EPIRBs (EPIRB - Purchase Personal Safety Equipment) and these are probably worth the expense.
I am currently trying to figure out is there is some way to use a safety harness on the foredeck. It seems that being washed overboard using a safety harness (and dragged along in the water) is just as dangerous as being washed overboard without one.
The regulations on using PFDs are changing and these may end up being compulsory.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 15:35   #34
cruiser

Power boaters don't tend to fall overboard because they are rarely underway, given the time they have to spend on the treadmill working to pay for theur fuel.
Brent
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 15:37   #35

Boat: now floating easy37
my stern platforms will actually be only half a couch height above the water, however they are some very sobering stories and i will plan my sailing accordingly
sean
northerncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 15:37   #36

Boat: CAL 3-46
Send a message via AIM to Latitude9.5
i feel safer with a tether and belt in foul weather then i do counting on just a pfd or towable/tossable recovery setup, not that i don't sport all of the above, but as mentioned the odds of my wife getting me back into the boat once I go over are slim to none.

All things considered, in the worst of conditions... which is when you'll end up swimming it may be hard for even the most savvy of sailors to pick you out of a good swell, calculate how far you are moving away or toward, etc, etc..... With the tether even if i do lose my balance ive got something solid to grab onto and try to stable myself.
Latitude9.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 16:09   #37

Tether Quick Release

Here's one option that will allow you to escape being dragged. However maintenance will be key in the long run to make sure it does not release by itself under pressure on deck.
Wichard Product Bulletins
Chuteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 17:20   #38
cruiser

This is a very productive thread. I went over our plan with my wife and lo and behold, we are also not as well prepared as I would have liked either. It seems as though having something to signal with would be good if you were to fall overboard. I know they have the strobes for night "swims", but what about days? MOB poles are good. A bright orange ping pong paddle tied to the throwable might be a good addition as well. I'm going to completely re-design our MOB procedure for this spring.

Thanks, David (of Old Jersey) for posting this. Great thread.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 19:43   #39

One More

SS: Could an old CD/DVD can be a durable sun reflector to go along with the paddle?
Chuteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 22:26   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
There is a great story here
Navy diver amazed to find his mate and colleague alive - 09 Feb 2006 - National

Rob has been suggesting divers should take a Rescue/safety/dive sausage with them.
Lift bags, Marker Bouys, Safety Sausage

I am seriousely going to get me a couple of these and have them fitted to our inflatable jackets along with the strobes. A MOBP may be a great idea, but there are a few complications with it.
1: your mate needs to know you went over. With a couple only situation, one maybe below when the other goes over.
2: your mate has to leave the wheel to grab the MOBP and toss it in. Two problems with that, one being that it takes valuable time to get to the MOBP and toss it in which means the pole is now some distance from the swimmer and two, the mate has to let the wheel go and in ruff sea's and strong winds, that may lead to other issues.
An electronic MOB indicator is a great idea and I would love one. But they are very expensive and I can not justify that yet. Once we get to major offshore work, we will concider that again. But I like the idea of the sausage at the mo.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 06:08   #41

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Lift bags, Marker Bouys, Safety Sausage

I am seriousely going to get me a couple of these and have them fitted to our inflatable jackets along with the strobes. .[/quote] by wheels

Alway's thought a bum bag with a couple of flares, and chemical lights would be good, and if they could fit a chem light to the top of the sausage..............

Or how about a helium filled signal orange balloon,on 20 ft of cord, atached to the inflatable vest of course.

Aerosol fog horn type thingy to attract attention when youve fallen in. some of these are seriously loud and take up buggerall space in or on a jacket.

Might look like Batman with his utility belt but you'd be glad you had it if you needed it.

Dave
Old 06-01-2007, 06:25   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris31415
I am currently trying to figure out is there is some way to use a safety harness on the foredeck. It seems that being washed overboard using a safety harness (and dragged along in the water) is just as dangerous as being washed overboard without one.
I'll state the obvious and say that the boss was real happy when we got a nice soft 20 ft wide foredeck for her to work on.

She neverminded changin headys on the cat, short wetsuit on and up she'd go.

Plenty fun she reckon's, but she hated the mono's foredeck, or lack of.

Dave
Old 06-01-2007, 06:44   #43

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
That's one advantage of wide beam - if you run a jackline down the middle, your tether comes up short before you fall over the side.

Mark
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 07:27   #44

One can clip onto an spare halyard when working on the fore deck. keep it tight enough to keep you suspended in air should you go over. If you do go over the side other crew members should be able winch you aboard.

I am adding an link to an post i wrote on the sailnet site a few years ago, if you read it care to read you will see that you can find yourself in the water at any time or any place even in the best of conditions. regards mike

It can happen - SailNet Community
Sailorny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 15:37   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorny
And what did happen to the boat that ran them down?

Dave