Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2009, 21:36   #1

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
Ever Shot a Flare Gun at Something?

There are always plenty of gun threads. I've read plenty of them and without trying to debate the subject of guns on board, How will the flare gun actually work as a weapon? Have you eever shot one at a piece of plywood, an old couch, or your neighbor's abandoned car?
It always comes up in gun threads but I am wondering, what will really happen? I want to shoot a couple off just so I have an idea of what happens. I'll probably drive way out in the desert somewhere to give it a try someday, but in the meantime, have you tried it?
How far do they drop over, say 50 feet? 100 feet?
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 22:37   #2

Boat: Mesqua Ukee, Buccaneer 40 (Salar 40)
I have fired both a 12 gauge and 25mm flair guns vertically in a distress situation. There is a big difference between the two.
The 12 gauge flares are of 2 types the Orion which has a muzzle velocity of 300-350 ft/sec. with a muzzle energy of 100-120 ftlbs. That is a 10 lbs weight dropped 10-12 ft. or a good hard swing with a 10 lbs. sledge hammer. Fired vertically they go up 250 feet. The other 12 gauge flare is the SkyBlazer with a muzzle velocity of 220-260 ft/sec and a muzzle energy of 35 ftlbs.
According to a report I read the major concern about being shot with a flair gun is the threat of clothing or tissue catching fire. The impact is non lethal.
I have seen some cruisers fire them horizontally during celebrations. Based on what I saw they drop about 10 feet in 50 feet. Maximum horizontal distance was maybe 150 ft. Not exactly very accurate.
The 25mm flare fired vertically reaches almost 375 ft. The 25mm parachute flare reaches 1000 ft.
Good luck with your test shots.
mesquaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 00:59   #3

Boat: Privilege 37
Be aware that a flare gun is treated in some countries in exactly the same manner as any other firearm, and some countries take a very dim view of cruisers carrying firearms.

However, a handheld parachute flare is not considered a firearm, and normally has a much bigger pyrotechnic payload, and a flatter trajectory
Old 10-07-2009, 01:27   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
How will the flare gun actually work as a weapon?

Stupidly against an AK47.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 20:00   #5
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Some looters were shot with flare guns in the aftermath of hurricane Ivan in Grenada. The flares didn't even penetrate their T-shirts and just bounced off their bodies. After that, they fall down and ignite, setting the boat on fire. Not so good for self defense.

The 25mm parachute is rocket propelled so useless too.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:16   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Some looters were shot with flare guns in the aftermath of hurricane Ivan in Grenada. The flares didn't even penetrate their T-shirts and just bounced off their bodies. After that, they fall down and ignite, setting the boat on fire. Not so good for self defense.

The 25mm parachute is rocket propelled so useless too.

cheers,
Nick.
I would think that if they were busy putting the fire out on their boat the attacking would stop. Isn't that the ending one would want?

I just want a flare gun like they have on Capt Ron.
Daddy's Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 18:56   #7

Boat: Mesqua Ukee, Buccaneer 40 (Salar 40)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy's Dream View Post
I would think that if they were busy putting the fire out on their boat the attacking would stop. Isn't that the ending one would want?

I just want a flare gun like they have on Capt Ron.
I know of a number of boats making the run up from Panama or Cartegena to Honduras. In the middle of the night a high powered dingy would suddenly appear alongside with armed men in regular clothing. On one occasion a brilliant searchlight was simultaneously aimed into the cockpit area from a large ship. The ship never showed up on radar or AIS.
They were local marine patrols supported by the US.
I don’t think they would have reacted well to the brandishing of (or firing of) a flare gun or any other weapon.

The only problems we have ever had has been with the middle of the night sneak thieves who grab gear off the deck. A passive system discourages that and can be quite fun.
Dinghies are a favourite target. At one anchorage in the San Blass 7 dinghies disappeared in one evening.
We took a ¾ double braid line and removed the core and replaced it with a doubled piece of 3/16” 7x7 wire. Looks like rope but it isn’t, there is a loop at the end for a lock. There are a lot of dull knives out there judging by the knife cuts in the nylon sheath.
I always wondered what would happen if the 7X7 wire was replaced by an extension cord plugged into an inverter.
mesquaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 19:28   #8

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy's Dream View Post
That would be awesome...except that the looters would be on YOUR boat...and laughing their arses off.

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 20:07   #9

Boat: Columbia 8.7 As You Wish III
I seem to have read some where that there was a flare gun that could fire a 12 ga. Some type of sleve for the barrel.

Course it is not bright to fight off AK47's unless you have one too.

Wonder what the sats are on just giving up and the victims get away with their lives. And how many are stopped because someone shoots back.

Kind of like the idea of electric current. What was that movie oh yea 20.000 Leagues Under the Sea. Gee officer must have a short in the system somewhere.
ksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 20:32   #10

Actually I agree with the majority here. IMO only a fool would fire a flare gun on unknowns packing AK's. It could be pirates, or it could be another countries Coast Guard. I would think it would be a weapon of very last resort provided they 1 weren't well armed, (doesn't not well armed translate into could be cops). And 2 only if it would present you with a chance of getting away.
Daddy's Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 21:03   #11

Boat: Island Packet 35 #81
flare

A few years back there was a young kid at a fishing together in New Port, OR. He was selling a object that his grand dad had made. It looked like a shotgun shell that a 38 special fit into. The flare gun would fire it.

It was being sold to dispatch a Halibut. Was very simple and would work pretty well.

DW
Duckwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2009, 09:46   #12

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
The classic discussion stopper:
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2009, 10:06   #13

Lats & Atts magazine has an article this month about an ATF report on the inserts for flare guns. ATF reports that after firing a few rounds the flare guns started to break apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmith View Post
I seem to have read some where that there was a flare gun that could fire a 12 ga. Some type of sleve for the barrel.

Course it is not bright to fight off AK47's unless you have one too.

Wonder what the sats are on just giving up and the victims get away with their lives. And how many are stopped because someone shoots back.

Kind of like the idea of electric current. What was that movie oh yea 20.000 Leagues Under the Sea. Gee officer must have a short in the system somewhere.
Aiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2009, 10:09   #14

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
Well I guess that video says it all.
What a bunch of idiots those guys were, they looked perpetually drunk.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2009, 10:12   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
Wow! I believe it would still have some deterrance benefit, however. Most people wouldn't know how much damage it could do. Also, I might still have the desired result if it were aimed at dinghy's gas tank.