Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2018, 07:53   #1

Boat: LUCIA 40 Maestro
Evacuation insurance for severe medical problem

At the boat show">Annapolis Boat Show, I visit the booth of an "insurance company" selling for (from my memory) 100$/year an evacuation insurance if you need to be driven to the closest hospital. This was valid on the US East Coast and Bahamas, and the evecuation vessel used, depending the position and urgency, could be a high speed boat, helicopter, plane, etc.

I lost the documentation and my web researches did not find them.

1 - Somebody know their coordinates

2 - Somebody had to use their services (hope all things good now) and can explain the position, speed, quality of their services.

We will be long term sailing in the Bahamas.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:07   #2

Boat: Samson C Mist 32
Re: Evacuation insurance for severe medical problem

Divers Alert Network is one.
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 08:20   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bean View Post
Divers Alert Network is one.
Thank you.
I am PADI Advance but my wife is not... I will check if they serve ALL humans !
Old 10-01-2018, 10:25   #4

Boat: Valiant 42

DAN will sell a family plan that covers you and your wife. Does not need to be a diver. They have multiple plans so ask for a plan that covers the scenario you envision. I am sure they will be happy to help.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 11:24   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I've heard of one called "World Nomad", no specifics. And Hadassah tries to sell another one, I don't know the name, to folks as well. Then I think there's also "Global Assist" or Assistance, who specialize in evacuations, not just for medical reasons.

You've got to really read the policies carefully. Even DAN's policies. Typically there's no coverage within 100 miles of home, and they are all for emergency treatment and evacuation, not chronic or pre-existing issues.

Some will bring you home. Some will also bring one companion. Some will bring you to the nearest "appropriate care", not necessarily home.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 13:49   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
I've heard of one called "World Nomad", no specifics. And Hadassah tries to sell another one, I don't know the name, to folks as well. Then I think there's also "Global Assist" or Assistance, who specialize in evacuations, not just for medical reasons.

You've got to really read the policies carefully. Even DAN's policies. Typically there's no coverage within 100 miles of home, and they are all for emergency treatment and evacuation, not chronic or pre-existing issues.

Some will bring you home. Some will also bring one companion. Some will bring you to the nearest "appropriate care", not necessarily home.
Thank you I will check all of those. As from Quebec we have a very wide public care coverage plus our employer group insurance providing return to home from a foreign hospital, just having a fast way to get proper emergency care and then have our local insurance to bring home will be OK.

We are looking for a FAST response provider, rather than looking for one when it is "too late to do so"

We are looking for testimonial from sailors who got previous services.
Old 10-01-2018, 14:10   #7

Boat: Boatless

I have organized two medical evacuations for cruisers who had DAN repatriation insurance.

DAN were excellent in both instances...in one instance the Lear Jet from Bonaire to Miami was $28,000

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 14:22   #8

I've used several insurance programs while traveling but now just use Dan. They really seem to be the best balance of cost and "no fine print" if you need them. They have a product aimed at boaters (that protects you when not boating too)

In looking at these programs understand the difference between "evacuation" which means getting you to the closest hospital and "repatriation" which means getting you to a hospital back home. Big difference.

https://danboater.org
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 14:51   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post
I have organized two medical evacuations for cruisers who had DAN repatriation insurance.

DAN were excellent in both instances...in one instance the Lear Jet from Bonaire to Miami was $28,000
WOW ! and this was covered by DAN ? Sure I will do deeper in their direction and, if they cover our needs, ALL PEOPLE sailing with us will be FORCED to go with them...
Thank you for this shared experience .
Old 10-01-2018, 15:59   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post

Does anyone have the details of DAN's policies? I understand they only cover emergency evacuation/repatriation. But what happens when the emergency is caused by an illness or or pre-existing condition? Will they repatriate you then?
surf_sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 18:44   #11

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Falbala,

We have subscribed to the DAN medical evacuation services for a few years now.

Unfortunately, our Admiral decided to put it to the test just before Christmas this year.

DAN did everything you would expect, and did it quickly and well. We have always recommended DAN as worth considering.

Now we can do so with first hand experience...

If you are interested in details, the Admiral has written a few blog posts outlining her accident and experiences. Here is the first one...

Best wishes finding what is best for your needs, and may you never need it...

Cheers! Bill

PS: We anticipate a green light from the Dr. for flying back to the boat later this month. DAN will take care of that as well. [Among several other services as needed.]
Old 10-01-2018, 19:39   #12

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Falbala60,

You may find that you have reciprocal health care with the francophone islands of the Caribbean, you might want to check that out.

If you are gone from Canada long enough, you will have to re-establish residency there before you can use the health care system. You might want to find out exactly what that entails.

Ann
Old 10-01-2018, 22:23   #13

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
...If you are gone from Canada long enough, you will have to re-establish residency there before you can use the health care system. You might want to find out exactly what that entails.
Good point Ann. To remain eligible for provincial healthcare Canadians must actually be in their respective province for a certain number of months each year. Provinces are different, demanding either 5 or 6 months of actual residency. I believe Quebec insists on 6 months. Ontario only demands 5.
Old 11-01-2018, 06:37   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
I've used several insurance programs while traveling but now just use Dan. They really seem to be the best balance of cost and "no fine print" if you need them. They have a product aimed at boaters (that protects you when not boating too)

In looking at these programs understand the difference between "evacuation" which means getting you to the closest hospital and "repatriation" which means getting you to a hospital back home. Big difference.

https://danboater.org

THANK YOU TO ALL
I just got our DAN card... we are actually in Yucatan and will travel to Perou next month and on our cat next October ... a MUST !
Old 11-01-2018, 08:05   #15

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

Check out MedJetAssist.
If a physician says you should fly home....They fly you home.
Pre-existing conditions are OK as long as you were originally cleared to travel.

taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance, medical, cal