Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2015, 13:01   #1

Emergency Oxygen Generator

Hi,

I came across this oxygen generation device that I thought would be really handy to have onboard. It doesn't use tanks therefor lighter of weight and not a safety issue. Having this onboard with an good AED would be a great life saving add on IMHO. I don't know how much it costs or how long the oxygen generation powder canister will last for and how much replacement canisters cost but I am checking this out directly from the factory and will advise. (i have no commercial interest in sales of this product)

Just checked the price. Unit that is a little larger than a bottle of Coke. $349 Replacement oxygen powder cartridge $149. Oxygen cartridge lasts for 15 minutes and stores well for 2 years. Im looking at having 4 on board with everyone on board being shown by myself how to use it. (just in case) By the way immediate oxygen therapy not only is great for helping the brain and other organs to survive but it can also aid in the actual repair of damaged heart tissue.

The OxySure® Portable Emergency Oxygen System, Model 615 is a revolutionary product now available in the U.S. and other countries. Model 615 allows a parent, bystander or the victim him/herself to administer life saving medically pure (USP) oxygen in event of a medical emergency. NO PRESCRIPTION IS REQUIRED.

Completely disposable and easy to replace, OxySure’s Replacement Cartridge provides the FDA recommended 6 liters per minute for 15 minutes of medically oxygen for emergency use. OxySure’s Replacement Cartridge is designed to be easily and quickly replaced with very little effort. (from the company website)

For those interested in an idiot proof quality AED that gives voice commands and automatically diagnoses if a shock to the heart is needed the best unit I know of is made by Philips. It runs at around $$1,199.00 and a replacement/spare battery runs around $169

I know this adds up to a lot for something that hopefully would never be used but having said that I would urge everyone who can afford both of these units to do so and have them on board. Who know it may be your life saving equipped boat near mine that saves my life at the dock or mine that saves yours.

For those who think such devices are a wast of time along with life rafts and fire extinguishers etc I say peace. Just please do not try to dissuade others from being prepared.

Safe and worry free sailing to all.

Chaya
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 18:42   #2

Re: Emergency Oxygen Generator

Bye the way the reason I came across this emergency oxygen device is because I am highly sensitive to the need for having life saving equipment on hand, "just in case" But I also know a lot of people would think it was overkill. No pun intended.
Old 08-07-2015, 19:13   #3

Boat: Valiant 42

I am not a doctor, just an engineer. I am trained in first responder treatment of diving accidents which involves administering O2. This device appears to meet none of the requirements for treatment of a diving incident. Whether it is applicable to a non-diving emergency is something I cannot say.

I suggest you discuss the O2 device with a respiratory therapist or cardiovascular physician if you are not one yourself. I does not appear these units provide O2 on demand nor does it seem possible to ensure inspiration of 100% O2. A little bit of googling turned up dozens of "investment opportunities" for the company but no independent research reports. I admit I did not look too far down the google search results.

In most countries you can get compressed O2 systems that deliver 100% O2 via demand valve regulator. These ensure nearly 100% inspiration of O2 that will last a lot longer than 15 minutes. Divers Alert Network has lots of information, equipment and training opportunities for emergency O2 first aid.

There was another thread on AED devices a while back. The takeaway I got was if there is a heart stopping event at sea that professional equipment and trained medical personnel would be required almost immediately after use of an AED. I'm sure it is still available in the archives. As I recall there were trained medical persons participating in the thread.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 19:43   #4

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

We have had an "Emox" 02 generator for 17 years. We also carry 3 cylinders of DAN type O2. We have an AED, and most important, a Pulse Oximeter which can help dial up the correct flow for blood O2 saturation.

We have used the O2 once to save our dog from dying, once to administer O2 to a gentleman ashore who was suffering a thrombosis, the ambulance techs said it made a difference. Unfortunately in 2006 we were sitting on the beach at Baradal island in the Tobago Cays while another sailor experienced a stroke right near our boat and we knew nothing about it.

Bear in mind that an AED can only help one sort of cardiac problem, and immediate care is required afterwards.

Having this stuff, and our drips, Ringers Lactate, Saline, Dextrose, Adrenaline etc opens doors if you receive radio medical advice from a professional, but administered incorrectly any of the above could prove fatal.
Old 08-07-2015, 20:02   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
I am not a doctor, just an engineer. I am trained in first responder treatment of diving accidents which involves administering O2. This device appears to meet none of the requirements for treatment of a diving incident. Whether it is applicable to a non-diving emergency is something I cannot say.

I suggest you discuss the O2 device with a respiratory therapist or cardiovascular physician if you are not one yourself. I does not appear these units provide O2 on demand nor does it seem possible to ensure inspiration of 100% O2. A little bit of googling turned up dozens of "investment opportunities" for the company but no independent research reports. I admit I did not look too far down the google search results.

In most countries you can get compressed O2 systems that deliver 100% O2 via demand valve regulator. These ensure nearly 100% inspiration of O2 that will last a lot longer than 15 minutes. Divers Alert Network has lots of information, equipment and training opportunities for emergency O2 first aid.

There was another thread on AED devices a while back. The takeaway I got was if there is a heart stopping event at sea that professional equipment and trained medical personnel would be required almost immediately after use of an AED. I'm sure it is still available in the archives. As I recall there were trained medical persons participating in the thread.
Thanks for the information. I too have looked around more on the net and agree that it looks like there are better options out there. Regarding AED's there are many misconceptions about the efficacy of use especially in remote situations. There are some heart events that they will not help. There are other heart events that they will be effective for resuscitation and still the patient will need immediate medical help at a hospital and they may not survive even in a hospital and then there are other heart events that not only do they resuscitate the patient but save the patient from brain and organ damage and are able to survive and sail again another day. I remember reading about a Scandinavian city that had installed AED's on virtually every busy downtown street on the side of building outside with good signage. They were used and did save lives.

One of the best resources for finding out the facts about AED's is the American Heart Association as well as the American Red Cross.

thanks for the heads up on the oxygen generator.

Regards,
Chaya
Old 08-07-2015, 20:06   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy_gilana View Post
We have had an "Emox" 02 generator for 17 years. We also carry 3 cylinders of DAN type O2. We have an AED, and most important, a Pulse Oximeter which can help dial up the correct flow for blood O2 saturation.

We have used the O2 once to save our dog from dying, once to administer O2 to a gentleman ashore who was suffering a thrombosis, the ambulance techs said it made a difference. Unfortunately in 2006 we were sitting on the beach at Baradal island in the Tobago Cays while another sailor experienced a stroke right near our boat and we knew nothing about it.

Bear in mind that an AED can only help one sort of cardiac problem, and immediate care is required afterwards.

Having this stuff, and our drips, Ringers Lactate, Saline, Dextrose, Adrenaline etc opens doors if you receive radio medical advice from a professional, but administered incorrectly any of the above could prove fatal.
I'm impressed. And I am absolutely sure that the oxygen administered to the stroke victim did indeed help. And what can you say about the value of saving your dog. I am sure you are so very thankful that you had the foresight to have provisioned yourselves so well. Congratulations and well done.
Old 08-07-2015, 22:51   #7
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy_gilana View Post

But always remember..... You can't hurt someone who's already dead. It's better to try even if you have some doubts in your own ability.

Nice medical kit BTW. I was the one who started the AED thread if someone wishes to look it up. We have one on the boat and one at home... Just in case. They're basically idiot proof and include verbal instructions for CRP, just hook it up according to the directions then follow the voice commands.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 01:07   #8

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

The thread Kenomac was referring to is http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rd-141085.html .

There was a lot of discussion in that thread how important it was it give immediate care in an emergency but also the importance of immediate follow up by competent clinicians, preferably in a hospital setting.

When sailing -out on the water- there is generally a large delay until a chopper arrives, and airlifts the injured/wounded/sick. When crossing an ocean at best oxygen or/and an AED (without follow up medical care) may extend the life by minutes, seldom hours.

There is a misconception that AED re-starts a heart that has stopped beating (contracting). Wrong, an AED can improve/convert certain heart arrhythmias, not 'start' a heart that does not beat anymore (asystole, which is in popular TV/movie lingo: "flatlined").

I have attended 100s of medical emergencies, and am a trainer of Senior First Aid that includes the use of AED. I am also qualified Advanced Life Support Responder, that includes giving medications intravenously and shocking manually (or not) by looking at the type of arrhythmia.

Regarding oxygen, indeed it is common to provide a mask with oxygen supply to a person/patient that has cardiac distress. However the majority (?99%) of patients with such arrythmias that need an AED are unconscious and not breathing anymore. There are only two ways (outside hospital/ambulance/paramedic settings) to get oxygen into an unconscious person: mouth to mouth; a oxygen bottle is not much good then, unless you have a ventilation bag (ie air Viva, link Manual Resuscitator for Adults (Air Viva) | Singapore's Leading Medical Devices Wholesale & Distribution Company | Taking care of your Healthcare Needs) , AND are experienced in using that.

Granted, there may be other situations that oxygen will provide relief or buy time until the professionals arrive.

On our all sea rescue boats we have oxygen bottles and an airbag, and only one boat carries an AED (I think superfluous), as by the time we arrive we are well beyond the window for helping (with AED). For some more info on AED: AED Defibrillator | Automatic External Defibrillator FAQs

On my boat I don't have oxygen or an AED, or cardiac medications.

However those who are willing to carry such gear on board and are knowledgeable in using it, good on them, as -in principle- it can buy time.
Old 09-07-2015, 01:32   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
But always remember..... You can't hurt someone who's already dead. It's better to try even if you have some doubts in your own ability.

Nice medical kit BTW. I was the one who started the AED thread if someone wishes to look it up. We have one on the boat and one at home... Just in case. They're basically idiot proof and include verbal instructions for CRP, just hook it up according to the directions then follow the voice commands.
I have seen some idiots defeat even voice commands.......

I have an AED in the clinic. One of the staff nurses got to use it a week or two ago when the clinic had closed for lunch and all the medics were either out on calls or lunch. She answered the door to heavy knocking..... the AED was not activated on the patient so manual compression was used until the emergency crew arrived, very quickly I might add-5 minutes or so.

Nice device. It told her what the problem was not and she did what she would have done regardless. I understand the patient was released from hospital a few days later.

Useful? For non medical persons I think it has its place.

I dont carry oxygen or fluids on my boat. I have a basic offshore medical kit with a few extras. As a single hander, I am careful as to drug choices, I dont want mental impairment or sleepiness. I have never used my kit in an emergency in 30 years apart from band aids and the odd cut wipe up, seasickness and occasional headache. I dont usually go more than 100 miles offshore and dont do transats.

For those that have the time and money to carry a full medical surgery, thats fine by me. I used to carry a volume expander (Ringers) but again, as a single hander in the main, it would be difficult to utilise if the injury involved concussion or unconsciousness.

We pay our monies and we take our choice.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
emergency, enc, generator