Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2021, 17:04   #1

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.
Electronic Flare USCG Approved

Greetings all. There are a number of electronic flares now on the market.
Please comment on your choice and experience.
Thanks to all for their valuable insights.
Mark and manatees
Manateeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 00:30   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 31
Re: Electronic Flare USCG Approved

Following
Old 01-05-2021, 05:50   #3

ACR makes what looks like a suitable and suitably priced one. They also offer it in a kit that comes with a ditch bag and includes a C-strobe personal beacon. But given how many times I reach for a flashlight only to find it doesn’t work, I haven’t invested in one.

That and they only count as a flare replacement in the USA. Right?
Pandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 06:00   #4

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

I have the Weems and Plath (Sirius Signal) C-1001 flare and day flag. Batteries are to be replaced anually. It has a compliance note for USCG 46 CFR 161.013 printed on the float.
Old 01-05-2021, 06:47   #5

Boat: no longer cf member

Having a load of out of date flares and being sick of buying new ones because of a printed number I purchased one.
I was boarded two years ago offshore Florida by coast guard aboard another vessel. I did not have that LED flare aboard but asked their opinion.
The response was "if it says it is compliant then we are ok with it"

That works for me. I Most definately still carry the regular flares....they are in new condition....they just have the wrong date on them.

And finnally I am pretty sure NO ONE replaces their flares based on date. A friend in the navy told me flares are inspected for condition...not a date.

So it's just the plebs that have to replace their flares every three years for no reason.

Just replying to the OP, I have no interest in arguing or dealing with the trolls.
Allied39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 07:19   #6

Boat: 1987 Pearson 39-2

Remember the light is only your nighttime signal. You still need to carry the orange flag with black circle and square as your daytime signal.

As I commented during a VSC yesterday, who knows how many people will know what the orange flag means, but I make sure to cover it whenever I am teaching and doing VSC. When these originally came out, people were throwing out the flag or stowing it in the junk drawer

While you do have to keep up with batteries, I like the idea that these options can be hoisted on deck while you are down below dealing with the problem, unlike conventional flares.
SeaStory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 10:03   #7

Boat: Swallow Craft, Swift 33

My Coast Guard courtesy inspection in 2019 gave my electronic flare an OK.
cottonsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 11:24   #8

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonsail View Post
My Coast Guard courtesy inspection in 2019 gave my electronic flare an OK.
Which one was that ?
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 11:28   #9

"CANADIAN SAFE BOATING COUNCIL HONORS THE SIRIUS SIGNAL-WEEMS “SOS DISTRESS LIGHT” WITH SAFEGUARDING THE ENVIRONMENT AWARD
Jan 12, 2017

January 12, 2017, Annapolis, MD — Weems & Plath, the leading manufacturer of fine nautical instruments, is pleased to announce that the Sirius Signal SOS Distress Light has been selected as this year’s recipient of the Canadian Safe Boating Council’s “Safeguarding the..."

And here was I thinking the flares job was to safeguard me....
Old 01-05-2021, 11:34   #10

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

Here is my electronic flare topic.

It appears that Weems & Plath has discontinued their LED flare.
wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 11:35   #11

Also interested in following this. Its a pain (no pun intended for UK readers) buying a full set of offshore flares every 3 years. Of course I keep the old ones as well - disposing of them when they are 9 years old. I just keep them out of sight & hope the French authorities are satisfied just to see the in-date ones.
My thinking is that if I ever needed them for real, I would rather have more flares rather than less,. But the red colour might only be 95% red instead of the full 100% . AW shucks, better ditch that then....
Obviously no-one is happy carting around this much highly inflammable material, but I havent yet seen an electronic one that convinced me to switch yet... & I have looked.
Old 01-05-2021, 11:38   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingless View Post
Thanks for that. How do you get it 1000 feet into the air?
Old 01-05-2021, 11:47   #13

Boat: Grand Soleil 52

I just ordered the Ocean Signal rescueME. I will let you know how it works when I get it.
SoundOfSilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 12:02   #14

Boat: Tartan T4400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allied39 View Post
Having a load of out of date flares and being sick of buying new ones because of a printed number I purchased one.
I was boarded two years ago offshore Florida by coast guard aboard another vessel. I did not have that LED flare aboard but asked their opinion.
The response was "if it says it is compliant then we are ok with it"

That works for me. I Most definately still carry the regular flares....they are in new condition....they just have the wrong date on them.

And finnally I am pretty sure NO ONE replaces their flares based on date. A friend in the navy told me flares are inspected for condition...not a date.

So it's just the plebs that have to replace their flares every three years for no reason.

Just replying to the OP, I have no interest in arguing or dealing with the trolls.
When I was in the Navy we inspected our life rafts on a scheduled basis. We replaced flares and other items in the raft on a scheduled basis. All items on the raft were inspected and could be replaced earlier on a condition based inspection.
Replacing the flares upon expiration date is one of the things most offshore boaters do (IMHO) If the CG were to board a boat and and found all of the flares expired they have many options terminate the voyage fines. I do not believe they would accept that you can inspect and replace on condition basis. To me having a set of flares that may save my lift are worth the few bucks I purchase the SOLAS flares not the less expensive USCG approved flares. I also have one of the Electronic flares.
I put a label on my electronic flare with the date the batteries were changed replacing the batteries annually.
Having been boarded by the USCG a a few times I find it goes much easier and quicker if you have the proper equipment and are upfront and honest with the boarding party. They are just doing their job.
Old 01-05-2021, 12:07   #15

Boat: Coast 34 Sail

Having run flare demonstrations for years as part of boating education I am thrilled to have a safe non-flammable alternative. the thought of firing off a flare from the cockpit or heavens help me a life raft scares me, and I have lit dozens of them on land. Many many instances of boats firing flares that no one sees or responds to, we all have read the stories. I don’t have a lot of confidence that battery lights would do any better but at least I won’t set fire to my boat or hole my raft. Just one sailors opinion.
Tomodore is offline   Reply With Quote