Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2014, 20:18   #91
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Ebola Fears in the Canary Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
They have no idea, me thinks. Many of the health workers have been killed and they were dressed in outrageous bio protective gear.
i think that the consenses is that it is not an airborne virus like flu,BUT it is able to transmit via water droplets exhaled by a carrier,and inhaled by a victim.

post mortem tests on monkeys,with the Reston strain showed trauma to the lungs of other monkeys infected,indicating this, that had been in the same room,but in seperate cages.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:18   #92

Boat: Pearson 34-II

The origin of the disease occurs when people eat bush meat(Chimps, monkeys and gorillas) that has been infected by fruit bats. It is also known to be transmitted to swine. Perhaps if there are cultural changes on the African continent in regards to food sources the disease will cease to exist in all but rare cases. It would also help preserve the last rare wild primates left in the world. The transmission has many sources as has been discussed but once widespread, the possibilities for contagion are limitless. It is not politically incorrect to say that its origin and spread is from undeveloped primitive cultures in Africa(by Western standards) to the civilized world. As Westerners, will we once again revert to a time and place we experienced during the Black Death? Or, will political correctness aimed at the prevention of hurting peoples feelings by preventing them to travel to our countries lead to our downfall? Our fate is uncertain.
www.news-medical.net/health/What-is-Ebola.aspx
Old 04-08-2014, 08:45   #93
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

What is Ebola?

fixed link.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:17   #94

Boat: O'Day 28

I have done my usual diligent scouring of opinions on this Ebola threat at my neighborhood research facility, the Handlebar. Over the course of the Sunday afternoon service (yep, I go on Sundays religiously ... free lunch) it was decided that we could all get by without Atlanta, Ga. no problem. In fact none of us old pharts could name even one good thing about Atlanta beyond the fact that Ebola has arrived.

All drank to that as a risky but more or less positive outcome of the boneheaded governmental decision to purposely import a deadly virus with no cure in sight.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:21   #95
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Hotlanta is always full of great ideas that go wrong, say for example their street names:

PROPOSED: Change all street names to start with or include "Peach".
PURPOSE: So they can be easily remembered by the citizens.

REAL EFFECT: Everyone gets lost because they all look the same.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:39   #96
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
The origin of the disease occurs when people eat bush meat(Chimps, monkeys and gorillas) that has been infected by fruit bats. It is also known to be transmitted to swine. Perhaps if there are cultural changes on the African continent in regards to food sources the disease will cease to exist in all but rare cases. It would also help preserve the last rare wild primates left in the world. The transmission has many sources as has been discussed but once widespread, the possibilities for contagion are limitless. It is not politically incorrect to say that its origin and spread is from undeveloped primitive cultures in Africa(by Western standards) to the civilized world. As Westerners, will we once again revert to a time and place we experienced during the Black Death? Or, will political correctness aimed at the prevention of hurting peoples feelings by preventing them to travel to our countries lead to our downfall? Our fate is uncertain.
www.news-medical.net/health/What-is-Ebola.aspx
well they belive hiv aids originated in exactly the same region,with similar mutations from animals,in that case monkeys.

no wonder the early colonists called the region "the white mans grave"

the good news is it looks like the effected countries are closing their borders to contain the spread.

lets hope it is all over by the time the flu season starts in the west........
Old 04-08-2014, 10:52   #97
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
lets hope it is all over by the time the flu season starts in the west........
Pneumonic Ebola
Old 04-08-2014, 10:58   #98
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Pneumonic Ebola
The virus has been confirmed to be transmitted through body fluids. Transmission through oral exposure and through conjunctiva exposure is likely, which have been confirmed in non-human primates.

Filoviruses are not naturally transmitted by aerosol.

They are, however, highly infectious as breathable 0.8-1.2 micron droplets in laboratory conditions;

because of this potential route of infection, these viruses have been classified as Category A biological weapons.

What is Ebola?
Old 04-08-2014, 11:29   #99
cruiser

Ebola Safety Kit:

Old 04-08-2014, 11:42   #100

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
As Westerners, will we once again revert to a time and place we experienced during the Black Death? Or, will political correctness aimed at the prevention of hurting peoples feelings by preventing them to travel to our countries lead to our downfall? Our fate is uncertain.
It has nothing to do with political correctness, IMHO. It has everything to do with economics. Now that the danger is recognized to be real the money and efforts to contain are flowing. Probably into the banks...(ah, such a cynic). Now borders will be closed. I still don't believe the authorities in GB who claim that the man who died after collapsing at the airport was not infected with Ebola. Could be but seems strange to me.
Old 04-08-2014, 14:18   #101

Boat: Pearson 34-II

"It has nothing to do with political correctness, IMHO. It has everything to do with economics." Deepfrz

Freeze,
What I meant, to clarify, is that we Europeans (yes, that includes the US, Canada, NZ, Australia, South Africa)have been blamed for all the ills of the world and that in a PC world we are unable to criticize those cultures that History has shown to live in cultural regression by our standards. The fact is that the African continent is an area with perhaps the richest natural resources in the world and remains (along with Haiti) one of the poorest and least developed. It was developing in leaps and bounds under colonial rule by the English, French, Germans, and Dutch until the Independence Movement when the Europeans and their education, commerce, industry, health standards and organizational skills left Africa. The results are clearly evident to the world. The other element of PC to which I was referring involves the notion that all cultures are equal in value and therefore cannot be criticized. This is patently untrue to anyone who has studied the History of Man. Ebola is a awake up call to everyone and needs to be addressed and labeled as a serious threat to the health and well being of all civilized countries. A contagion in North America or Europe would create an irreversible apocalypse.
Old 04-08-2014, 14:32   #102
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

". A contagion in North America or Europe would create an irreversible apocalypse."

Perhaps not. After all, if we believe the collective wisdom of the various Great White Fathers...they say Ebola has a something like 50-90% mortality rate and that given adequate hydration and blood replenishment, it is closer to 50%.

So if we assume the care system runs out of blood products and has to use just hydration, OK, we lose half the population in the industrial world. Maybe a bit more, because the riots and fires are going to be significant.

Apocalypse? Nah, we'll just cut carbon emissions in half and trigger the global ice age that has been long overdue, according to the climate records.

Unless of course, someone really gets pissed off about the way Africa refuses to join the modern world, and paves over all the reservoirs of disease, i.e. all the jungles, to start with.

How on earth did Europe get started, while Africa still wallows in the mire?
Old 04-08-2014, 14:35   #103
cruiser

Oh its going to be a buyers market on Boats for Sale - New and Used Boats and Yachts - YachtWorld.com!!!!
Old 04-08-2014, 15:14   #104
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Maybe not. I can't think of a better way to quarantine a place.

Get on your boat, sit in the bay, and put the town on quarantine from yourself. It works both ways.
Old 04-08-2014, 16:19   #105
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I agree Hypeer. If I felt that a global pandemic was beginning, then selling the ark would be the last thing I would consider.
Closed Thread

Tags
arc