Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2019, 21:38   #1

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'
Does ginger tea really help with seasickness?

Apparently yes, some.

But enough to be noticable?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12576305
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 21:46   #2

Boat: Morgan 44 CC
Re: Does ginger tea really help with seasickness?

Ginger anything helps with seasickness and yes, it is noticeable.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 21:49   #3

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Definitely. Ginger biscuits are the most important thing in a snack cupboard especially if you have passengers without sea legs.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 21:52   #4

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter

It tastes good, used to eat tons of ginger chews as a kid.

A alcohol wipe under the nose probably helps folks a bit more.

https://allnurses.com/alcohol-pad-nausea-t42454/
NorthernMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 03:32   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

If you believe if works, then it works. There is nothing wrong with the placebo effect. Tell them it’s a cure and it might be, tell them that’s bull but here you go now that your sick to your stomach how about something to eat anyway and it may not.

That’s a problem with any remedy that you have to eat, who wants to eat or drink when they are about to throw up?

But really, if you tell them this is a miracle, it’s sure to fix you right up, the odds of it working are a lot better.

I’ve had a few cans of ginger beer in the fridge for years, it may still be there, what’s the harm in trying?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 04:15   #6

Boat: Bristol 27

Keep instant Dramamine onboard also in case the ginger doesn't work.

When I first got my old, slow, boat that loves to roll constantly downwind I tried ginger gum and blew chucks, brackets got quessy, bonine - quessy, then on a rough 30 mph wind day when I was about to blow chunks I took one chewable instant Dramamine and felt instantly better so I took one more for the 24 hour relief

https://www.riteaid.com/shop/dramami...SABEgKkB_D_BwE
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 06:14   #7
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

It's not placebo, not if NIH and many others have verified it. It doesn't always work, but nothing does.

Of course, the key with most treatments is to catch it the moment you even suspect something is not right. I've never gotten seasick, but there have been a few days when cooking or working on something in the bilge underway made me think about it. I simply chewed on some ginger root (I like it and use fresh in cooking) and it was gone. I will also use ginger in cooking when I expect it to be rough and I know some of my passengers are susceptible. It seems to work.

You need to be certain it is real ginger, not just flavor. I suspect some of the "didn't work" cases it was mostly just flavor. With ginger root, you are certain.
Old 18-11-2019, 06:15   #8

Boat: 2020 Lagoon 42

Ginger or Dramamine works for my wife and our Grand kids, but while we in the UK, we used Stugeron and that worked great. Its also available down Mexico way, but I havent seen it in the US.

Ginger syrup (what we have now) is available and keeps for a long time.

A64 - works great for homemade ginger beer!

John
LostBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 06:28   #9

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31

I looked at the research when my daughter experienced severe airsickness with flying lessons. It was effective in blinded studies so it is not just a placebo. She used with enough success that she is now flies aerobatics.
Salty Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 07:14   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You can’t get Stugeron in the US at a drug store or though a prescription. but if your in the US, you can go on EBay and buy it and it will be delivered. That’s how we got it.
It’s the only thing we have found that works for my Wife without knocking her out.

Comment on the placebo, something that also has been proven and documents many times is that any medicine is far more effective if given with a positive attitude and sold if you will, and any medicine given if the patient is told it’s not very effective and often doesn’t do anything is much less effective, the mind is a powerful thing.
Some people can actually will themselves to not be sick, and it works for them.

Some are so sure that they don’t get sea sick, that in fact they don’t.

All I’m saying is there is no harm that I can see with home remedies if you don’t mind me calling them that, even saltine crackers has helped many, because I think in part they were told it would help and they wanted it to help so it did.
Old 18-11-2019, 07:21   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Possum View Post
I looked at the research when my daughter experienced severe airsickness with flying lessons. It was effective in blinded studies so it is not just a placebo. She used with enough success that she is now flies aerobatics.

I got sick in flight school, didn’t throw up thankfully, because that will quickly get you eliminated. I’d flown for years but a helicopters motion got me sick, and airplane is stable, a helicopter moves in any direction.
Anyway my flight instructor told me to get my wife to smuggle me Dramamine and that I’d get used to it and wouldn’t need it. It was risky because self medication is also grounds for elimination, but it worked. I was first in my flight to Solo and graduated at the top of my class.

But even with “real” medicine you can’t discount the placebo effect, and the desire for something to work, if your Daughter really didn’t want to fly, it’s possible it may not have worked.
But it’s also possible that she just got used to flying.

If we’re aren’t cruising for awhile my Wife resets, and will get sick again easily, but pretty quickly she gets her Sea legs again and everything is OK again as long as we don’t get into serious weather.
Old 18-11-2019, 07:42   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I got sick in flight school, didn’t throw up thankfully, because that will quickly get you eliminated. I’d flown for years but a helicopters motion got me sick, and airplane is stable, a helicopter moves in any direction.
Anyway my flight instructor told me to get my wife to smuggle me Dramamine and that I’d get used to it and wouldn’t need it. It was risky because self medication is also grounds for elimination, but it worked. I was first in my flight to Solo and graduated at the top of my class.

But even with “real” medicine you can’t discount the placebo effect, and the desire for something to work, if your Daughter really didn’t want to fly, it’s possible it may not have worked.
But it’s also possible that she just got used to flying.

If we’re aren’t cruising for awhile my Wife resets, and will get sick again easily, but pretty quickly she gets her Sea legs again and everything is OK again as long as we don’t get into serious weather.

Well, if your not cheating, your not trying hard enough. Try jumping out of perfectly good airplanes on purpose. Lots of us got motion sickness. Ginger worked for some of us and Dramamine was a blessing till we got used to the bumpy rides. I had a blast and loved it.

John
Old 18-11-2019, 07:55   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I never got around to jumping, first we were prohibited from it, the Army didn’t want to put all that money in us to have us break a leg or something, then I just didn’t, then my knees got worn out, probably will do first replacement next year.

Always wanted to, should have and now I’m afraid I lost the window of opportunity.
Growing old sux, whoever first called it the golden years should be shot.
Old 18-11-2019, 08:56   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You can’t get Stugeron in the US at a drug store or though a prescription. but if your in the US, you can go on EBay and buy it and it will be delivered. That’s how we got it.
It’s the only thing we have found that works for my Wife without knocking her out.

And so it is on Ebay and pretty good prices! Thanks Brother! My wife said she would kiss you if you were close, but your not, sooo you get this instead.

John
Old 18-11-2019, 09:03   #15

Be glad to tandem jump with you anytime and promise to go easy! We're crowding 60 now and refuse to give in as much as possible. Golden years are a myth - now silver years, thats a reality.

John