Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Health, Safety & Related Gear
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2022, 10:11   #1

Do you know of airlines permiting transport of lifevests with 60gr CO2-Container?

Hallo together,

I have the problem to bring life-vests with 60gr CO2-containers to Vietnam.
All airlines, that I contacted, including my german Lufthansa, accept only the old 28gr containers. This vests have only about 100N buoyancy, compared to 275N of the newer models.
At 1. Jan. 2019 ICAO T.I. removed the limit for lifevests. Everybody can check this in table 8.1, item 12.
Because a lot of you may travel with your personal safety-equipment, some of you has informations about an airline state of the art. Thanks for your assistance. Fair winds.
Little John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2022, 11:27   #2

Re: Do you know of airlines permiting transport of lifevests with 60gr CO2-Container?

Previous forum info may be helpful

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ets-76602.html
dcondit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2022, 12:02   #3

Boat: Southerly 480
Re: Do you know of airlines permiting transport of lifevests with 60gr CO2-Container?

I can only speak to recent experience in the US with TSA.

I've traveled several times recently, and I've not had a problem. I take the PFD out of my carry-on so it's obvious when going through the x-ray machine. I usually get pulled out for the additional inspection. They check the vest and my bag for explosive residue, and usually call a supervisor over. It adds a few minutes to the process, but isn't terrible.
shimari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2022, 16:55   #4

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Each airline has their own rules so it’s best to check with them directly.

Best bet is to search for “airline name” Dangerous Goods.

FYI, do not google “Vietnam Airlines Life Jackets” if you want to relax while you’re flying with them!
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2022, 06:30   #5

I always remove my CO2 cartridges from my PFD prior to traveling and have never had an issue, when arriving at my destination I simply reinstall them. As others may have stated, you should contact the airline about possible restrictions.
P3sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2022, 10:18   #6

Boat: DownEaster 38

Despite the rules, each airport is different, and I'd say that each inspector is different.
Take all the precautions mentioned above, but expect to get a hassle and be happy if you go through smoothly. I used to print out the TSA sheet showing what is permitted, but even that doesn't always get you through.
bobmcd625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2022, 10:41   #7

Boat: SeaRunner 37, 11.3 metres

I print and carry these:

TSA-PFD.pdf

TSA-PFD CO2 Cartridges.pdf

Click image for larger version

Name:	AA PFD.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	236.3 KB
ID:	254965
Old 26-03-2022, 14:25   #8

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

I’ve traveled 2x last year, I checked the bag my spin lock vest harness was in, No issues what so ever. Cheers
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2022, 17:01   #9

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmcd625 View Post
Despite the rules, each airport is different, and I'd say that each inspector is different.
Take all the precautions mentioned above, but expect to get a hassle and be happy if you go through smoothly. I used to print out the TSA sheet showing what is permitted, but even that doesn't always get you through.

That reminds me of the time I had my PFD (with gas cylinder fitted) in my carry-on luggage and went through the security scanner.

The operator wanted to physically inspect the gas cylinder. I explained that I had never previously had to do that and that it would take at least 15 minutes to pull my PFD apart and re-pack it.
He insisted.
Luckily a supervisor came past and waved me through.
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2022, 19:11   #10

Boat: Beneteau 390

Just got back from a trip to the Philippines taking two PFD,s packed in check in baggage with CO2 cylinders removed and in hand luggage. At each Airport I removed the cylinders from the luggage and put them in the plastic tray for X-ray. Every time I had to simply explain what they were and what they were for. This was accepted by Air New Zealand , Singapore Airlines and Scoot Asia no problem
GlobalGaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2022, 19:34   #11

I had a problem with WestJet in Vancouver in February and had to remove my CO2 cartridge and HIT from my vest and give it up along with my spare cartridge and HIT. That had never happened before.

I was not happy.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 22:03   #12

Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
I had a problem with WestJet in Vancouver in February and had to remove my CO2 cartridge and HIT from my vest and give it up along with my spare cartridge and HIT. That had never happened before.

I was not happy.

Which one WERE you then?!?
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lifevest, permit