Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 00:39   #31
CFR

last year 1 bought ginger film tablet which you have to stick behind the ear, it worked very good for my wife. i dont know if they are available outside china but here many are using them for any motion sickness. they are 100 percent ginger and cheap
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:09   #32

Boat: Islander 36
I bought some candied ginger at Trader Joes. Never even heard of ginger tablets. I suppose their usually sitting on the same shelf as the Dramamine ect. Now I've gotta watch for them. duh.

Where do you find them?

I keep Motion Eze and over the counter remedies as well as the pressure point wristbands (which my wife likes) and the electronic one on board as well. Trying to be nice to my wife. Trouble is, if I get sick, I simply forget I have any of them.... Another duh.

After being fine for about 3 or 4 days of a passage once, 1 of those days being 26 hrs of 30 kt winds, I got sick once in reasonably calm conditions. One more duh.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:40   #33

I've used the bracelets with no real effect. I purchased an "Adventurer Relief Band" which looks like a watch but provides a slight electrical shock to the front of your wrist. The "Adventurer Relief Band" did keep me from becoming physically sick but I still felt like do-do. There is a product called Sturgeron, not available in the US, that works wonders. I take one the night before setting sail and occasionally will take one the next day or prior to a severe change in the weather. Once I get used to the boat's motion, I have no problem with seasickness. As mentioned in other replies, ginger works pretty good. Still, my vote is for Sturgeron.
satnav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:17   #34

Boat: Islander 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by satnav View Post

There is a product called Sturgeron, not available in the US, that works wonders. ............

...... Still, my vote is for Sturgeron.
OK, it's mentioned a couple of times here. So is it available EVERywhere but in the US?

I travel internationlally often enough and am always looking for stuff I can't get at "home". There's still plenty of stuff you can't get outside of the US either.

So, where to buy Sturgeron?
Old 11-01-2011, 07:24   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
See ➥ http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ron-18110.html

And ➥ Doc Vikingo's Sea Sickness Remedies

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:15   #36
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
OK, it's mentioned a couple of times here. So is it available EVERywhere but in the US?

I travel internationlally often enough and am always looking for stuff I can't get at "home". There's still plenty of stuff you can't get outside of the US either.

So, where to buy Sturgeron?
Yeah.... thats coz of all the side effects if taken... I used to love the Ad's for medication in the States... long clip of active person playing, dancing, laughing.. then voice over while showing same person without make-up and in drab clothes... "See how much more Quality of Life you gain with just 1 Boogeymadrine taken twice daily can bring you... why be this... when This Could be YOU..."
Flash to girl in make-up and foxy dress doing the Lambada with Super Stud...
Then fades to fast quieter voice over "This treatment can cause side effects such as blindness, cancers, heart condition, liver damage, serility, or total loss of balance.. do not drive or use heavy machinery.... may cause bad breath, headaches...
Drugs don't get pushed through the way they to often are Stateside by Lobbyists etc...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:39   #37

Boat: 1962 28' Pearson Triton
Is there any truth to the claims that if you're prone to seasickness, you eventually become acclimated over time and it goes away? Or maybe it depends on the person--some do and some don't?
1962 Pearson Triton, #318
Triton318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:52   #38
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton318 View Post
Is there any truth to the claims that if you're prone to seasickness, you eventually become acclimated over time and it goes away? Or maybe it depends on the person--some do and some don't?
I think its more a case of acceptance... once I had accepted the fact I might get sea sick and started concentrating (and stopped dreading) on other things rather than how I was feeling each nano-second things began to improve... these days I may feel queasy once in a while but thats it...
The last thought one needs is if this don;t stop I'm gonna puke... never ask someone if they're ok... they soon wont be.. now you've got em checking themselves...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:30   #39
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
a friend says the wristlets work.i wouldnt know , never having been seasick in life...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 18:30   #40

First, there was a typo in my first reply. The product is called "Stugeron". I live in Thailand where this product is packed by Janssen-CLIC (Thailand) Limited. The actual medical name for Stugeron is "Cinnarizine" and the pills I get are 25 mg. I don't have any side affects with this product and no one that I know who takes them has had side affects either. Still, it makes good sense to discuss with your medical doctor. As for where to buy the product outside Thailand, I have heard the product is available in Europe.
Old 11-01-2011, 18:43   #41

Triton318, as I mentioned, I take a Stugeron just prior to setting sail and after the first day living with the motion of the boat, I have little motion sickness and after another day or so, I have no problem with going below in most conditions to do chart work, eat or whatever. But, no matter how long I ride in a car, I can't read while the car is moving. I think the best test for yourself is to go sailing for a few days and see what happens. Stay in the cockpit or on deck as much as possible for the first day and if you must go below, do so to lay down, eyes closed. In really rough seas, I'll close my eyes as much as I can when I go below but even in severe conditions, I get used to the motion after a day or so. As with other replies, it most certainly involves your mental disposition. Thinking about the boat's motion and focusing on how bad you feel can make you sick, no matter what remedies you use.