Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2010, 10:47   #1

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
Distress Pyrotecnics

If you ever have to use a distress rocket or flare, you are probably having a very bad day, as mentioned in this article.
Marine Flares – More Than Meets the Eye — gCaptain- A Maritime & Offshore News Blog

Worth a read.

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:50   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Interesting. This is why you have backups for getting help. You cannot 100% rely on any one method.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:59   #3

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Sensible writing but I do have an issue with such articles possibly convincing someone less experienced to forget carrying flares and rely soley on electronic devices.
I am not arguing that one would not use a radio, EPRIB, sat or mobile phone if one got into trouble. I certainly would.
But having been asked to help out finding and standing by a sinking boat some years back off the Austrlian west coast, I'll never forget it was his flares fired into the sky that got us on track to locate the yacht.
The water was up to his gunnels when we got there (but stunningly still afloat and sailing!!). I strongly suspect any or all electronic devices on board might not have been operable at that stage.
Cheers
JOHN
Old 02-11-2010, 12:15   #4

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagman View Post
Sensible writing but I do have an issue with such articles possibly convincing someone less experienced to forget carrying flares and rely soley on electronic devices.
I am not arguing that one would not use a radio, EPRIB, sat or mobile phone if one got into trouble. I certainly would.
But having been asked to help out finding and standing by a sinking boat some years back off the Austrlian west coast, I'll never forget it was his flares fired into the sky that got us on track to locate the yacht.
The water was up to his gunnels when we got there (but stunningly still afloat and sailing!!). I strongly suspect any or all electronic devices on board might not have been operable at that stage.
Cheers
JOHN
Yes, really bad days do happen. About four years ago a friend sailing from the Canary Isles to the Caribbean just lucked into finding a couple in a life raft, 6 or 7 hundred miles off the coast. It was their last flare that drew his eye.

P,
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
distress