Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2006, 02:09   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Demineralized Water - Health Implications

The World Health Organization (WHO) published that it has been adequately demonstrated that consuming water of low mineral content has a negative effect on homeostasis mechanisms, compromising the mineral and water metabolism in the body.
http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_.../en/index.html

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2006, 02:18   #2
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Damn that was quick Gord. I have the PDF on my desktop but was searching for a link. You the man!!
Mineralisation of RO and evaproator water is generally only done to stop leeching from the reticulation. The drinking water at the NZ base has no mineral addition and typically has a microsiemen ratiing <5 and acidity of 5.5pH.
Get me started and we could be here all night. Polar T3 syndrome, thyroid problems, rant rant.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2006, 11:02   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
So Pete, just go take that glass oif the worlds purist water and chuck a handfull of dirt in it. He he, it reminds me of us sound guys. We would spend millions of dollars on equipment to produce as close to as pure distortion free sound as technically possible, just to have the young crowd play their distorted guitars and C-rap music as accurately as possible.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2006, 15:10   #4

Pete, you talked about implications of low alk demin. Implications I presume you are talking about human implications rather than mechanical?

T3 & thyroid problems are known problems - their is a lot of research being done on this and if I decide to go back to uni I'd like to do my Phd on this subject. It is very topicle due to a lot of the worlds drinking water now being RO / Demin. I guess down at the ice you use RO for your water supplies? The long term implications of drinking this water is probably unknown at this stage - are you willing to be my guinea pig? Personally the water to me tastes horrible anyhow so I wouldn't drink it by choice. Saying that though drinking water with high levels of Chlorides, magnesium or carbonates also affects the taste. Personally I don't like demin plants due to the by products - Caustic and Hydrochloric Acid. RO of course needs pickling therefore raises another set of problems.

As far as machinery goes - boilers and the likes need as pure as possible water, and it only takes a touch of Caustic to bring the pH and Caustic Alkalinities up in a demin supplied boiler. You can cycle them to hell and back and obviously removing Silica is the biggy. The other problem with Demins is Silica break through when nearing the end of it's cycle. If you need specific info let me know - happy to help out with any probs.
southernman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2006, 15:57   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
So what are you guy's trying to say??? Don't drink water???
Heck guy's, next you'll be saying we can't breath either.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2006, 16:59   #6

Boat: Ensenada 20
Should we send you some "Dasani?"

It has "minerals added!"

Do FedEX or UPS deliver to Antarctica?????!!!!!!!!
Lightfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2006, 17:10   #7
Kai Nui

This is a perfect example of one of my biggest gripes the direction society is going. Bottled water that has been filtered to the point where it is empty of minerals as well as microbial organisms, and all the other creepy crawleys that people are so afraid of, and the rampant use, at least here in the US, of sanitizing soap. People are going to such great lengths to avoid germs that they no longer have any resistance to them when they are exposed. It is a self perpetuating problem. I was raised on floridated well water, and as a kid I put things in my mouth that I would probably not pick up as an adult. I am around people all the time, and rarely get sick. I firmly believe that living in the proverbial bubble has done more to harm the health of the overall population than any pandemic ever will.
I think I will sit down to some greasy kneaded wheat bread, and some gas station coffee and relax
Old 20-02-2006, 18:20   #8

Boat: Cape Dory 28, "Night Wind"
HMMMMMMMM .... may I suggest beer as an alternative?
Bob & Lynn
Wahoo Sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2006, 20:46   #9

I'll sit back and smoke my cigar. And then eat my greasy pork sandwich. And wash it down with irrigation water!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2006, 20:56   #10
Kai Nui

Twinkies and Diet Coke. The ultimate diet.
Old 20-02-2006, 21:18   #11

Hawaiian fruit punch. And a bowl of fruit loops!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 20-02-2006, 22:31   #12
cruiser

Hi southernman, this is definitely a subject which has captured my interest and my biggest concern is that there is so little research available. Condemned to drinking low alkalinity, low pH water for a year on top of full spectrum light deprivation and cold exposure seems like it is a subject worthy of study.
I need more beer in my system to have a decent rant.
Old 20-02-2006, 22:44   #13

Pete.

You mean to tell me. That the base down on the south pole does not have a drop of alcohol down there?

You have got to be kidding us all here?

Old 20-02-2006, 22:53   #14
cruiser

No, plenty of booze and it's all duty free. NOTHING beats an Antarctic hangover. They do have an unfortunate policy about not drinking at work though. I have, in the past, pointed out to them that their accident statistics indicate that it is safer here to drink than to work but they have refused to implement any changes so far.
Old 20-02-2006, 22:59   #15
Kai Nui

It's not alcohol, it's antifreeze

Tags
health