Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2015, 08:12   #1

Boat: FP Lavezzi
DAN medical insurance

Does anyone have any experience of the Divers Alert network ( otherwise known as DAN) and their health insurance?

We are looking around to change and I am have difficulty in believing the deal that I am getting offered by the them?

Opinions please?
Stewart135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 08:30   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Re: DAN medical insurance

I believe it is just accident insurance not "health insurance"

On an aside, I am going to be looking into the possibility of starting a non-religious ACA complaint health care co-op to serve the cruising community.
Old 04-11-2015, 17:15   #3

Boat: Newport30 MKIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
I believe it is just accident insurance not "health insurance"
This is correct. "Provides coverage for the medical costs of diving accidents", because, "Your primary medical insurance may exclude scuba diving as a hazardous recreational activity and/or may not provide coverage when you are traveling out of the country."
surfprimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 18:20   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

"Diver Dan" is used by many US citizens when cruising the Bahamas. As I understand it, they will evacuate you to a Stateside hospital. Doesn't have to be a scuba accident. Two years ago a friend went home in a Lear jet after an accident, through DAN. They have a good reputation.
Old 04-11-2015, 18:38   #5
Marine Service Provider

Location: floating around ... hopefully in aqua clear swimming pool water!
Boat: 1985 Passport 37

We have DAN as accident/evacuation insurance, I don't think there's a health insurance component, but if you find out differently, please let us know because "affordable" has increased 100% in the last 2 years and I'm totally healthy..... Grumble....

https://commutercruiser.com
sv Winterlude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 18:43   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: FP Tobago 35 [sold]

DAN Europe offers health insurance, the US version does not, last I knew.
Old 04-11-2015, 18:57   #7

Boat: Jeanneau DS 49

I would not travel anywhere without DAN insurance. They will evac you anywhere! It's better to have it than sitting on the beach wondering if you will survive!
Old 04-11-2015, 19:14   #8

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
"Diver Dan" is used by many US citizens when cruising the Bahamas. As I understand it, they will evacuate you to a Stateside hospital. Doesn't have to be a scuba accident. Two years ago a friend went home in a Lear jet after an accident, through DAN. They have a good reputation.
Does not have to be a SCUBA accident but has to be related to scuba or snorkeling. If you break a leg when the boat heels over... "no go" but if you break a leg jumping in the water to go clean your hull... you are covered.

You may be interested in this:

http://www.imglobal.com/en/index.aspx

If you are sailing the Bahamas (or another country frequently travelled to by cruisers not in Africa) and have a major coronary, your likelyhood of survival is slim but if you break your leg, the pretty much anywhere can make cast if you know what I mean.

However, if you are in most of Africa, you most definitely want to have some kind of travel insurance. The ambulances ask you for cash upfront before taking you to the hospital that you most definitely do not want to get taken to. If you have insurance you get to go in a private ambulance and they take you to the only private hospital in the country. No insurance... no good hospital unless you have hard cash on hand as you lay bleeding on the side of the road.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 04:53   #9

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
As I understand it, they will evacuate you to a Stateside hospital.
Not quite. They will evacuate you to the nearest appropriate facility that can treat the problem. In the Bahamas, this may be the US, depending on the health problem. Elsewhere, it will most likely be a hospital in the country one is in/near.

It is a common misunderstanding with DAN that they are a "bring you back home" service.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:11   #10
Marine Service Provider

They will ship your corpse home. Required in French Polynesia.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:15   #11
Marine Service Provider

"No insurance... no good hospital unless you have hard cash on hand as you lay bleeding on the side of the road"

I think this it how's it meant to work when Medicare gets replaced by the $2,000 yearly voucher in 2017. Might need to get some of the horse type blinders to wear whilst driving around here in gods waiting room (FL)

Should brings costs way down.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:17   #12

Boat: Valiant 42

There are different levels of DAN emergency care and evac coverage. Higher priced plans cover any travel related injury. Read their faq and that should explain the various plans.

DAN is not health insurance. They have a good medical consultation by phone service though. Some really good nurses and MDs are available for discussions for not much cost. They have good knowledge about local clinics and hospitals in many tropical locations.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:28   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: FP Tobago 35 [sold]

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
DAN is not health insurance.
DAN Europe offers health insurance. It used to be quite reasonable, but the prices have gone up a fair bit the last couple of years. You must be a European resident to use DAN Europe.

DAN Europe - Insurance
Old 05-11-2015, 06:22   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

DAN INSURANCE ➥ Scuba Diver Accident Insurance — Insurance for Scuba — DAN | Divers Alert Network

Annual Travel Insurance - Medical & Dental
Covers usual and customary charges for medical or surgical treatment and emergency dental costs in excess of your standard coverage if you suffer an injury or sickness while on a trip.
https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/a...vel-insurance/

Dive Accident Insurance
Provides coverage for the medical costs of diving accidents. Yprimary medical insurance may exclude scuba diving as a hazardous recreational activity and/or may not provide coverage when you are traveling out of the country.
Scuba Diving Accident Insurance — About Scuba Insurance Programs — DAN | Divers Alert Network

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 19:12   #15

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Not quite. They will evacuate you to the nearest appropriate facility that can treat the problem. In the Bahamas, this may be the US, depending on the health problem. Elsewhere, it will most likely be a hospital in the country one is in/near.

It is a common misunderstanding with DAN that they are a "bring you back home" service.

Mark
You are correct!

There are very good reasons for this... this is a service generally meant for divers. If you get a case of the bends you most definitely want to go the closest decompression chamber ASAP! If you get stung by something in the water like a box jelly you definitely want to go to the nearest. If you have a heart attack, stroke, shark attack... whatever... please take me to the nearest hospital that can treat me!
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, insurance, medical