Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2022, 12:59   #1

Boat: Leopard 50L
DAN Boater Membership / Insurance

What does everyone think about the benefits that come with a DAN Boater membership? Specifically around Emergency Medical Evaluation and other health related issues? With my ASA membership a DAN Boater Membership for the family only costs me $50 which seems really low for the benefits spelled out in their DAN Boater Member Benefits Handbook!!
I sail in many out of the way places (Seychelles, South Pacific, Caribbean etc) and usually get travel insurance which costs way more than this for each trip! I primarily get the insurance for emergency medical evacuations for my crew. I have used it in the past with one crew member who had a stroke and had to be flown back to the states and another who got their hand broken (the old cleat / line issue!).
Anyway, interested to hear what you think, especially from people who have used their services!!
Sincerely
Dan
Dan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2022, 16:09   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Re: DAN Boater Membership / Insurance

We have had Dan Boaters for years, but never used it (crossing fingers). Interested to hear the replies. Costs have tripled with Covid.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2022, 16:14   #3

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

From what I've read, it's a great service; as you've experienced yourself.

We don't have it, but I'll be watching this thread with interest.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 24-05-2022, 16:53   #4

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

We have Dan Boater Insurance and used it in 2018 when my wife fell on the dock and broke her knee in Mexico, 9 days before we were planning to leave for the South Pacific. We had confidence in local medical providers but our family doctor back home in Canada indicated that the post surgery recovery period would be months long and getting into and out of a sailboat would be challenging. Our medical insurance provider initially denied coverage but later reimbursed us after going to a tribunal. We contacted DAN shortly after the accident and they did an excellent job of arranging a flight home, including 3 seats for my wife because she couldn't bend her leg, and one for me. Their ability to track the whole operation was very impressive. We have renewed our membership this year to cover travel to French Polynesia to recover our boat and for the sailing we are now doing back in Mexico. I wouldn't sail internationally without it.
Old 24-05-2022, 17:22   #5

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

From the one case of an ill husband that we are somewhat familiar with, DAN not only provided financial assistance, but also provided medical advice, access to evacuation resources, options for treatment, and logistics support for the wife and for the boat's care in the absence of the owners. These latter were probably the more important than the financial assistance. Yes, I am in the Bahamas, and yes, I have DAN.
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2022, 17:24   #6

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Great question which I’ve always meant to post.

I had DAN when I dove a lot in remote pacific areas. Never used it, but only heard good. Perhaps the last insurance that exists for the consumer?
Old 26-05-2022, 07:04   #7

Location: On the boat; Bahamas November-May, East Coast of US May to November
Boat: Beneteau 49

Cannot recommend DAN insurance highly enough. Our first year of full-time cruising, we were in the Bahamas (Exumas) when my husband had a severe bout of colitis. The clinic in George Town was great at administering morphine for his pain, but not much else. I called DAN - they immediately arranged for an ambulance to the airport, a private jet with two pilots and a paramedic, and an ambulance from the New Providence (Nassau) airport to the hospital in Nassau for both of us. My husband was in the hospital for three days (at this point, his Blue Cross & Blue Shield kicked in to cover his actual medical expenses - although they did want a credit card with a limit of at least $7,500 when he was admitted). I flew myself back to the anchorage the next day on my own tab (for the boat and the cat’s sake). DAN flew my husband home on a commercial flight when he was released from the hospital. During his stay, DAN called several times to see how we were doing. The tab? Almost $10,000. Cost to us? ZERO. No bills, no deductible, just a statement to us saying what they covered. We were subsequently written up in one of their DAN magazines.

Buying a DAN policy is my favorite conversation to have with new cruisers or anyone who travels internationally. As one of the reps said, it should really be called DAN Traveler (instead of DAN Boater). In my books, you’d be crazy NOT to buy it.
Nickodemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2022, 07:16   #8

Boat: Catalina 425

Used DAN dive insurance in PNG. They were very user friendly and provided good followup on return to states.
wizoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2022, 07:47   #9

Boat: Taswell 43

We've had it since 2011, but have never needed to use it. But the cost/yr vs the potential benefit makes it a no-brainer for us. Like all insurance....you don't need it--until you need it! The only comparable ins we've ever found is medical flt ins offered in St Thomas, USVI....it also offers a private jet service back to the US, but at $350+ ins costs/yr.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2022, 08:32   #10

Boat: J/42

It does seem like a great deal, and I'm planning to up my membership when I cut the lines this summer.

But look carefully at the offerings. They are divided into the basic membership and various travel insurance packages. The basic $50 membership (or whatever the price is now) does not get you all of the advertised benefits.

IIRC, when I worked through it, my cost is going to be in the $600 - $650 per year range. It still seems good, but depending on your cruising area, may not be a whole lot less than self-insurance.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2022, 16:50   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

Great thread. Thanks!!!
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 12:52   #12

Boat: Morgan 1974 OI 41

I could not really tell if any of the folks describing their experience had the DAN membership only. At least most of them seem to have had the travel insurance offered by DAN. Any examples of medical evacuation for folks with just the basic membership?
winschwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 13:23   #13

I am also curious about calling the medical hotline from within the US - I'd buy the basic membership just for that if was 24x7 and gave good advice. Anyone used that?
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 07:55   #14

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

Quote:
Originally Posted by winschwab View Post
I could not really tell if any of the folks describing their experience had the DAN membership only. At least most of them seem to have had the travel insurance offered by DAN. Any examples of medical evacuation for folks with just the basic membership?
We subscribe to DAN Boater. As noted in a previous post, it is incredibly good value for the money and our experience with their evacuation procedures was excellent. A couple of caveats.

When we first subscribed, DAN Boater was only available to Americans and Canadians. I don't know if their coverage extends to other countries or not at this time.

DAN can also provide medical coverage but last time I checked, only Americans in certain states could subscribe. We are Canadians living in Canada and use a Canadian insurer to provide medical coverage. That insurer also provides evacuation insurance but our experience with DAN was so good I would call them first if an emergency evacuation was necessary.

As with all insurance, read the fine print before buying something.
Old 02-06-2022, 08:46   #15

Boat: Boatless

I used to be a regional medical dive officer for DAN. Their dive medical service is excellent.

While cruising in the Caribbean I organized two medical evacuations for fellow cruisers, both went very smoothly. One on a Lear jet cost over $30,000 and the patient paid nothing.

An excellent service at a remarkably low price.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, insurance, member, membership