Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2020, 06:40   #16

Boat: Aquarius Pilot Cutter, 24'
Re: Cutting fiberglass liner during sinking

Wow! This has been informative. I have turned your suggestions into a sinking kit punch list. Thank you all for your advice and recommendations!

What scares me most are whales and unsunken containers that have fallen off of cargo ships.

I just like to be prepared. I'd rather come back to shore in a dismasted jury-rigged half-sunk boat than replace her.
esarratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 12:02   #17

Boat: Owner built 60í Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Hi. Again, your boat was built like a tank by guys in Rhode Island who actually knew what they were doing.
You will literally bounce of a shipping container unless you are surfing down a 30 foot wave. Ram into a sleeping Sperm whale and he might bounce you around and you might loose your mast if you stick a harpoon in him, but if you donít carry harpoons, you ought to be fine.
I see absolutely no need to carry a collision mat. Too difficult to deploy. Next to useless in rough weather with a short crew. Marginally effective at stopping continuous leaks because they donít stay in place. Wax, foam, two part epoxy sticks...3m 5200.. Donít forget some oakum...great stuff. Speed is what you need because your interior volume is limited.
If you are paranoid, get the smallest Honda semi trash pump which moves a lot of water fast. You can always sell it to somebody who is sinking.
Find some old solid glass boat about the same age...not core..built in RI.
Get a 2 pound sledge and a helmet and start whaling away and see if you can get a crack going...donít send me your doctors bill when the hammer bounces back into your helmet.
One of the first fiberglass boatbuilders was Hurters ..something like that..they
use to throw a boat off a three story building and it would bounce.
Stop worrying. The kraken is not going to swim out of the depths!
Fire, lightning, carbon monoxide, getting back onboard alone...these are problems. I see lots of boats with NO way to get back on board alone.
Natalie Wood died next to her yacht. Lot higher probability than Mr Sperm Whale. What other issues concern you. How about some photos. Till then..
Happy trails to you.
Captain Mark and his Plexus Connects Us manatees.
Manateeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 13:17   #18

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

With an internal liner, the hard part is to know where to chop through to find the leak, water migrates around the boat real fast. You could end up destroying the inside of the boat and still not finding the leak.

On the positive side, as others have already said, a well constructed GRP hull can take a pretty hard knock and display no more than superficial damage. I recall many years ago watching a video made either by PBO or RYA in England in which they sailed a 25 (?) foot sail boat into piers, reefs, rock, other boats at top speeds (did a google search without success) and as far as I recall, never managed to get it to sink. That gave me a lot of confidence in GRP that I continue to enjoy.

The chances of sinking due to a failed seacock or skin fitting is far more likely and they are normally accessible enough to manage the situation.

That said, that Stay Afloat stuff looks pretty useful. Iíve had very little success over the years with a plethora of ďworks underwaterĒ adhesives/devices and harbour a deep mistrust of these products but this one . . . . ?

Hitting a container floating in the sea? If there are a million containers floating in the sea today, that would average one container in every 361 square kilometres. Yes itís possible but, really? Nothing I lose sleep over.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 13:26   #19

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
Hi. Again, your boat was built like a tank by guys in Rhode Island who actually knew what they were doing.
You will literally bounce of a shipping container unless you are surfing down a 30 foot wave. Ram into a sleeping Sperm whale and he might bounce you around and you might loose your mast if you stick a harpoon in him, but if you donít carry harpoons, you ought to be fine.
I see absolutely no need to carry a collision mat. Too difficult to deploy. Next to useless in rough weather with a short crew. Marginally effective at stopping continuous leaks because they donít stay in place. Wax, foam, two part epoxy sticks...3m 5200.. Donít forget some oakum...great stuff. Speed is what you need because your interior volume is limited.
If you are paranoid, get the smallest Honda semi trash pump which moves a lot of water fast. You can always sell it to somebody who is sinking.
Find some old solid glass boat about the same age...not core..built in RI.
Get a 2 pound sledge and a helmet and start whaling away and see if you can get a crack going...donít send me your doctors bill when the hammer bounces back into your helmet.
One of the first fiberglass boatbuilders was Hurters ..something like that..they
use to throw a boat off a three story building and it would bounce.
Stop worrying. The kraken is not going to swim out of the depths!
Fire, lightning, carbon monoxide, getting back onboard alone...these are problems. I see lots of boats with NO way to get back on board alone.
Natalie Wood died next to her yacht. Lot higher probability than Mr Sperm Whale. What other issues concern you. How about some photos. Till then..
Happy trails to you.

Well put.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 17:13   #20

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

Sorry, duplicate post . ..
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 10:04   #21

Quote:
You will literally bounce of a shipping container unless you are surfing down a 30 foot wave. Ram into a sleeping Sperm whale and he might bounce you around and you might loose your mast if you stick a harpoon in him, but if you don’t carry harpoons, you ought to be fine.
This is good to hear. That allays some of my fears. I purposefully bought a very stout full keeled boat because at heart I am still a chicken. Maybe I'll get a fast, fly-a-hull-type boat as my second ocean going vessel.

Quote:
...getting back onboard alone...these are problems. I see lots of boats with NO way to get back on board alone.
Natalie Wood died next to her yacht. Lot higher probability than Mr Sperm Whale. What other issues concern you.
Yep. That concerns me. I have yet to come up with a good solution besides just leaving my wooden ladder down all the time OR tying a rope to the ladder that would help me pull the ladder down if I was being dragged alongside (I have a harness).

Quote:
How about some photos.
Here you go. The refit is ongoing. I just bought a second, spare engine (MD7A).

Links are to Google Photos:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/NRSEccRVMTHQMaMB6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GqkYM9GU11fa9iVv5

https://photos.app.goo.gl/s5Tz689D46jGQDtk8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VXRhiHWYHvgtJDoY9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4gzUYKYr6qj4rNam9

Quote:
What does this mean?
Old 09-10-2020, 10:45   #22

I just noticed that you said this.

Quote:
Maybe there are a few places to put in hatches or screw out plates to behind areas so you can use them for storage too. Just don’t cut out structures. PM me if you need help or post some sketch or photos about where you feel you need access.
Thank you for your kind offer. No, I was not planning on cutting out any structures.

I looked through my photos, but I don't have any that show the difficult to access areas. I will take pictures the next time I am on the boat.
Old 09-10-2020, 13:29   #23

Boat: Owner built 60í Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

WOW. She looks in great shape. You have nothing but good ahead of you with this boat. Been a long time since Iíve been in R.I. But I remember how they were built to take any ocean. Youíre a lucky man.
The cat eye ports. The gaskets were square but hollow in the middle. I think I got replacement gasket material from CE Beckmann in New Bedford.
Really a nice touch of class...makes it a yacht.
Please take some pictures of your bronze and I ll see if I can recall stuff about them...Spartan marine maybe made bronze for your boat...look at Cape Dory..
Maybe they have an owners group.
Letís see what the motor, shaft, etc looks like.
Rudder fittings.
Please stop thinking about the sinking baloney because you have a tank.
Orcas would just get a headache boinking into you.
You got a fantastic boat. Fix it up right and she will cross any ocean.
She is sea kindly not a shake and bake racing machine. Enjoy it.
They just do not build strength like your boat any more.
Do you have a bowsprit? Dorado boxes?
Need more photos.
Plexus is a structural, extremely strong and expensive adhesive.
I always change my sign off which begins...
Happy trails to you.
Captain Mark and his Spartan Bronze loving manatees.
Manateeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 15:07   #24
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

A Fein type tool is great thing to have but it won't work underwater and is slow. An electric chainsaw would get the job done. Or a large, very sharp chisel to go with that hammer. Also I am pretty sure that with a very sharp axe you can chop a hole through any kind of fiberglass.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 16:11   #25

Boat: Columbia 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
Cutting liners is very easy with an oscillating multitool, such as those made by Fein.

One thing I'd suggest is forget the wooden plugs that seem to be the recommended way of plugging holes, they are all but useless. I broke off a through hull underway last year, and the wooden plug that was tied with a string at each one would not stay in nor do much to stem the inflow. What saved the boat was a magic eraser sponge, torn into pieces and stuffed in the hole. You need something that will conform to the shape of the hole, expand to fill the space, and stay wedged in place. Wooden plugs won't do that. Add a bunch of sponges, or some of those soft rubber cones, to your emergency kit.
The wood plugs work if you break off a seacock or something, leaving the actual through hull behind with it's nice round hole. I've had that happen and the plug held fine till we got to the travel lift. No good at all for a jagged hole.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 16:17   #26

Boat: Columbia 36

My boat has a drop in liner with a lot of the hull inaccessible. I've opened a lot of it up for added storage, but there are still areas I can't get to. Some say stick built interiors are better for this, but I think you'd have drowned before you could get much of it taken apart. Patching from the outside is more practical, and you've got water pressure helping to hold the patch in place.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 16:45   #27

Boat: a sailing boat

Lithium angle grinder.

Just that you need to be extremely careful not to cut all the way thru ....

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 07:15   #28

Boat: Beneteau First 435

Have a view of the ‘crash test boat’ series by yachting monthly. They cover this and (probably) some of your other bad dreams. Holing is covered here: https://youtu.be/bRhcXBtmPQs

You can also get ahead of the issue by filling the voids with cans of expanding foam. We did this on Avant, and gained the additional benefit of some insulation. Many sailors have used the same techniques and materials to upgrade the insulation around the fridge/icebox. Here’s one link, there are others. Refrigeration Insulation Spray Foam – Matt & Jessica's Sailing Page

I was following Andy’s example on bagheera: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...html#post52513

Just watch you don’t encapsulate wires, hoses, etc.
avant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 08:39   #29

In another thread from a year ago, a puddy was recommended for sealing cracks or broken thru hulls. I can't remember the name but it seemed like a product that is worth a look.

Maybe someone can help out with the name...

Basically it comes in a small tub. You pull out what you need and smear it into the hole. Toilet ring wax would seem to have similar qualities...extrudable, sticky, strong enough
StoneCrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 13:55   #30

Boat: LAGOON 440

In order to cut fibreglass (liner or hull), in the very unlikely event that we need to do so, we carry a battery operated angle grinder fitted with a steel cutting disc. It is fitted with a 5 AH battery. Cuts through fibreglass like it was butter, and one need to be careful not to cut too far. We appreciate that it will not work underwater. It doubles as a very effective tool for cutting stays should the rigging come down.
Savanna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fiberglass