Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2012, 08:28   #1

Boat: Hunter 410 41'
Cruising with joint replacements

I am looking at a total knee replacement in a month. The plan is to start a liveaboard coastal cruising lifestyle next summer, after retirement, for as long as we like it.

Is anyone cruising with a knee or hip replacement? Have there been significant changes in your sailing/cruising lifestyle?

Thanks for your input!
jnrdafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 08:40   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Re: Cruising with joint replacements

Check your orthopedic surgeon carefully, plan on rehab taking double the amount of time, and get rid of any vices before you have surgery. (smoking especially). Good luck!
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 08:46   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnrdafoe View Post
I am looking at a total knee replacement in a month. The plan is to start a liveaboard coastal cruising lifestyle next summer, after retirement, for as long as we like it.

Is anyone cruising with a knee or hip replacement? Have there been significant changes in your sailing/cruising lifestyle?

Thanks for your input!
Although, I'm not a joint replacement subject, I would think this question is somewhat critical with respect to details.

Any doctor who deals with joint replacement will state, the recovery and the work you put in will determine the success. I know this as my mother had both of her knees replaced about three years ago (at the same time).

If you really work hard at recovery, I would think you are no different from anyone else, other than being extra careful while moving about the vessel.

This is why asking someone else really isn't fair to yourself. You will need to work extra hard to strengthen the muscles associated with the joint. The muscle support is the most important thing with replacement surgery, from my understanding. I know it is very hard, and at times an unhappy experience. This is evidence from my mother's situation, not mine.

My mother wouldn't be a good cruising candidate due to other issues with her situation. Her knees are now great, but her hips and back are a problem. She just doesn't have the mobility needed to traverse a sailing vessel. She could however probably cope with a trawler, if the steps were minimal.

I would say, if pursued with the right mindset, your limits would be very minimal. Falling will always be the worst situation to encounter.

James L
Old 20-11-2012, 09:13   #4

Boat: Island Packet 380

My husband has had 3 hip replacements (one hip has been done twice). Had his first hip replacement at the age of 28 and the next two more than 20 years later, six months apart. Although we aren't cruising yet, we just bought our cruising boat earlier this year and are working to get to know the boat and systems. He moves around the boat just fine, no limitations what so ever and he can do anything anyone else would do on the boat. It's no always comfortable for him to squeeze into small spaces to work on boat systems, however I don't think this is any different for those who have not had joint replacements. I am small, so I get to go in the small spaces and help
Old 20-11-2012, 10:38   #5

Boat: Seabird 37' center cockpit

I am also waiting for knee replacement next month,I am a liveaboard (sailboat) for the last 4 years and planning to leave next September for mexico.My surgeon only required that I move off the boat for one month following surgery,due to movements restrictions and possible injury.I have one friend,lady 65 years old,who had the same surgery 6 months ago and was sailing full time couples months after.I also have another friend who had hip surgery and now sailing from Trinidad,one year later.The only good advice I can give you from their experience is to be carefull after the surgery,one/two months,depending on your body,and follow all exercises for your knee recovery,rebuiding time.I am also 65 years old.Good luck
imago1420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 10:51   #6

Boat: Looking...

I have had 1 rebuild after trauma and 5 hip replacements (2 went bad) over 25 years.

Don't forget to take your antibiotics 1 hour before any medical or dental procedure to avoid infection at the prosthesis site.

Skydiving, motorcycles, and bungee jumping are contraindicated.

Consider a pilot house sailboat to keep the moisture away from your creaky joints.

Be sensible and you can do whatever you want - within limits.

westsail374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 10:56   #7

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

A dear, now departed, friend of mine sailed a 56ft day boat for some years with 2 hip replacements.
Joked he only needed one, but required two to balance the compass. Miss the scoundrel.
Old 20-11-2012, 11:39   #8

Boat: Hunter 410 41'

That answers my compass problem...only one hip fixed!
jnrdafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 13:14   #9

Boat: Trismus 37

I have just returned from 3 1/2 months sailing in the South Pacific (NZ, Tonga, Fiji, NZ) I had my right knee replaced 4 years ago, I have never had an issue with the replaced joint. Our yacht isn't conducive to easy access / mobility, with a main hatch and ladder rather than a walk through companionway, plus a longish bridge deck (2 metres) before you can enter the cockpit, plus tiller steering which means that you often have tension on your knees as you brace yourself.
We had various weather conditions from flat calms to 60 + knots, I never had any problems with my "knee".
I know everyone is different but I would say go for it! your body will soon let you know if you can or can't do it.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 13:26   #10
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I know several folks who have had knee/hip replacements. The biggest questions are your choice of surgeon, their record (any prior malpractice suits on file?) and attention to rehab.

With a good rehab program, and following the program, you may be bouncing around in a month and feeling up to par in two. There shouldn't be anything on a boat that would affect your knee, or vice versa, the way that some activities are simply forbidden after hip replacement.

Ask your surgeon is the entire OR team wears bunny suits (moon suits) for the procedure. Apparently, some of the leading ortho hospitals (Hospital for Special Surgery, NYC, among them) have reduced infection rates in joint replacements by something like 25% by sealing the OR team in bunny suits--rather than just trying to sterilize the OR. Yes, that raises costs--but so does the risk of deep joint infection.

HSS also holds patient counseling before their procedures, to tell you "this is what to expect, this is what to prep at home...." instead of dumping everything on you at discharge, when you can least deal with it. Not rocket science--but a lot of places aren't that smart yet.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 14:49   #11

Boat: Watkins 29'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnrdafoe View Post

Thanks for your input!
I think it's doable if you are in good health and you are diligent with rehab. I have had both knee's replaced 2-1/2 years ago and have no trouble doing just about anything now. You won't want anything to do with your boat for a month or so, recovery is slow for some people and it's not uncommon to be on pain meds for a month after surgery. Rehab is very very important...
Old 22-11-2012, 11:35   #12

Boat: 36' solaris sunrise catamaran
Smile Re: Cruising with joint replacements

We are liveaboards. I have had a total hip replacement. The surgeon forbid me to go aboard for 8 weeks and advised me not to drive.

I am 70 years old now and the operation was done one year ago. I was fit and healthy and non smoker.

No problems at all. Knee replacement evidently is slower to repair than the Hip due to all the tendons and ligaments.

If you follow the Surgeons advice you will be fine.

We are still cruising livaboards.

my surgeon said to me " Your body will tell you if it's OK"

Good luck.

Peter
rivonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 11:46   #13
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

The biggest problem, in my humble opinion, is "tall step disease," rampant at boat shows. Boats get bigger, the target buyers older, and STILL they install step that are greater than the 7 1/2 inches common in shore bound life. I don't get it. I was sitting in the cockpit of a large cat in Annapolis and asked the 8 people present how many had either a joint replacement, a spouse with one, or saw one in their near future: 70% of the hands went up.

The builders just don't get it. Smart buyers avoid a boat that will give them trouble as they age. I've had to re-work steps and companionways as my wife developed knee problems. Honestly, I like the new steps much better too.
Old 22-11-2012, 15:18   #14

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
The biggest problem, in my humble opinion, is "tall step disease," rampant at boat shows. Boats get bigger, the target buyers older, and STILL they install step that are greater than the 7 1/2 inches common in shore bound life. I don't get it. I was sitting in the cockpit of a large cat in Annapolis and asked the 8 people present how many had either a joint replacement, a spouse with one, or saw one in their near future: 70% of the hands went up.

The builders just don't get it. Smart buyers avoid a boat that will give them trouble as they age. I've had to re-work steps and companionways as my wife developed knee problems. Honestly, I like the new steps much better too.
The only thing less-ergonomically designed than a sailboat is the Soyuz re-entry capsule, and even it, brings its crew home safe.
Old 22-11-2012, 15:34   #15

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

my mother-in-law has been a live-aboard cruiser for nearly 20 years, with a total knee replacement for around 10 of those
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, replacements