Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2020, 17:35   #1

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Cruisers seeking humanitarian refuge in NZ

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12352827

'Hundreds of boaties stranded in the Pacific are making a humanitarian appeal to be allowed safe refuge in New Zealand from the dangerous cyclone season.

Normally hundreds of small yachts sail here from the South Pacific each year to wait the cyclone season out, from September to May.

But this year, with the borders closed because of the pandemic, they're stranded with nowhere to go.'

'Chris Galbraith is chair of the NZ Marine Operators Association and general manager at the first place 70 per cent of small yachts arrive in, when they come to New Zealand - the Bay of Islands Marina. He's been supporting the Ocean Cruising Club's appeal.

He says places of first arrival are already well equipped to receive the small yachts, and he's confident they can be supervised to quarantine safely on their own boats in New Zealand marinas.

Didn't work out too well in April......
Old 31-07-2020, 18:36   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Cruisers seeking humanitarian refuge in NZ

^^^^^Too right!

*Lawn order* depends on the consent of the governed.

It would be ironic if the precedent set this year caused American citizens to be disallowed.

Ann
Old 31-07-2020, 18:49   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

There was I thinking the word was already out - NZ is boring - I saw it on YT...

()
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 18:54   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

It would be safe to exclude Americans; they can sail to HI. Doable along the equatorial route, then peeling north.
Old 31-07-2020, 20:31   #5
So many boats, so little time.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FYC Club boats, 22 to 40.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
It would be safe to exclude Americans; they can sail to HI. Doable along the equatorial route, then peeling north.
The change in the world started 5 months ago. It's a plague. Strangers are more likely to be plague bearers than our neighbors.
Good governments exist to protect their communities, not some rando wanderers.

Please, it's not 1820 or 1920. Are we supposed to think that there are cruisers who have maintained ignorance for 5 months of the biggest health threat in a century?

They chose to cast off in the face of it. Bold choice, and this is how it's working out for them.
td0tz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 22:38   #6

Hmmmm... one rule for arrivals by air, another for arrivals by sea.

Having been fishing off South Georgia for about six months, spent a day or two on a covid free island, and then almost a month at sea coming across the Southern Ocean, they won't be allowed ashore until 28 days have elapsed since leaving Stanley...... golly

Good luck on just sailing on down from Fiji....

https://en.mercopress.com/2020/07/31...before-landing
Old 31-07-2020, 22:40   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by td0tz View Post
The change in the world started 5 months ago. It's a plague. Strangers are more likely to be plague bearers than our neighbors.
Good governments exist to protect their communities, not some rando wanderers.

Please, it's not 1820 or 1920. Are we supposed to think that there are cruisers who have maintained ignorance for 5 months of the biggest health threat in a century?

They chose to cast off in the face of it. Bold choice, and this is how it's working out for them.
In March , when the poo hit the fan, most if not all of these yachts would already have been strung out across the pacific from Panama to Fiji... hardly a case of 'casting off into the face of it'.....
Old 31-07-2020, 22:50   #8

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

This is exactly the problem. We know that some cruisers can't be trusted to stick to quarantine regulations, and they even vlog and boast about it. If the well-behaved cruisers in the pacific islands suffer because of that, I wouldn't be surprised, and it is an example of the dirty wake.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 23:00   #9

Boat: 32’ Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post

Why do Australians have such a issue with Americans?

I can’t recall meeting a American who really had strong feelings, of any sort, for Australians

Odd
IslandInfedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 23:54   #10

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandInfedel View Post

I can’t recall meeting a American who really had strong feelings, of any sort, for Australians

Odd
It's only a very small proportion of Australians of a certain political persuasion have issues with yanks, for the rest of us they are kindred spirits.

I think the suggestion is that cruisers with US citizenship would be allowed to enter the US at the Hawaiian Islands (US territory last time I looked)
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 00:37   #11

Quote:

Odd
Well, with some Australians it goes back to when they were over paid, over sexed , and over here.... but they are now pretty well all gone.

Now JPA.... well that's a long story.... dating as it does back to the Eureka stockade and beyond... maybe best JPA tells their own story.....

Back on track.... US boats don't need to throw themselves on the mercy of the New Zealanders.... they can ... as JPA says... just hang a right and go to HI.

In fact I think quite a few have already done so.
Old 01-08-2020, 01:03   #12

Quote:

Odd
While I'm not speaking for Ann, her point was that Americans currently in the SP don't have to sail to NZ or Oz to escape the southern cyclone season. Unlike other nationalities, they have the option to sail to a USA cyclone free area, namely HI.

FWIW, the Australian borders are currently closed to all nationalities unless you have a really good reason. We haven't singled out Americans .

BTW, cruising around on a yacht isn't a good reason even if you or I might think it is .

EDIT: crossed posted with El P who made the same point re HI
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 01-08-2020, 01:16   #13

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Quote:

Odd
They don't, it's more a case of your failing more than most to appreciate their humour; buddy boat with some British, more specifically English in the future and they will treat you like a long lost brother. Your average Aussie will only bother to make the effort - despite it being far easier - to bait a septic when there are no pommies available to barrack.

As to the point about US boats having the option of Hawaii, that's just a fact; from French Poly, Hawaii's a far closer 'safe-harbour' than New Zealand, albeit not in the direction which most people want to progress.
Old 01-08-2020, 01:32   #14

Meanwhile back on the war front... for you young pups...
The Battle of Brisbane
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Brisbane

I seem to recall there was a 'passing trains' incident in Qld as well... yes i am that old.... sigh..
Old 01-08-2020, 01:58   #15

Quote:

Odd
Mostly we luv ya but every now and then one of your countrymen sticks his foot in it - like when Johnny smuggled Pistol and Boo into Oz in contravention of our bio-security laws. We take a dim view of that sort of carry on and we have long memories .

https://edition.cnn.com/2016/04/17/a...ial/index.html
https://edition.cnn.com/2015/05/14/e...-dog-deadline/

Tags
cruise, cruiser