Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2020, 03:02   #1

Boat: Caliber Yachts/Caliber 38
covid, boat shopping, quarantine?

Apologize if the wrong forum.

I plan in the next 45 to 60 days to be traveling across the USA in search of my future home ( cutter, tiller, pullman birth, newer engine, please Santa).

Am aware that New York state is quaranteening those from hot states for 14 days.

I plan on visiting in Minnesota and Oklahoma, before the boat search....Maryland area and quite probably Florida.

Ha, probably no problem going from one hot state to another!

Its going to be one hell of a trip, wondering whats open, whats not. Even whether a particular state border is even open.
chriskilmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 12:00   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: covid, boat shopping, quarantine?

Travel by car and avoid those draconian states. Call ahead to ensure the owners and/or boatyards have visitation requirements and adhere to them.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 12:54   #3

A cutter with a tiller? What size boat are you look for??

Each states requirements are fairly well published. Without a comprehensive list of the states you're visiting and the order your visiting them it would be a bit cumbersome to research all 50 states and publish it here.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 13:10   #4

Boat: Antigua 44

Florida is only restricting if you are coming from a hotspot, which ironically is limited to Ny/NJ/CT with a 14 day quarentine. The hotels never closed, but vacation rentals have had restrictions from the govenor. As of today . . .

I looked at a few boats in the recently and didn't have a problem; masks were optional.
Talk Story is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 13:19   #5

It seems this is the year of "local". Most people have shelved plans of travelling long distances in favour of "staycations", staying and exploring closer to home, sailing/cruising the local waters.

To me, it seems that with the virus thing not yet manageable and a patchwork of different state rules for movement... it would be a pain in the backside to just travel around, without hard plans.

It might be easier to do as much research as possible online, try to line up candidates in one area, and then travel to that one area and do a bunch of inspecting etc.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 09:23   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Story View Post
Florida is only restricting if you are coming from a hotspot, which ironically is limited to Ny/NJ/CT with a 14 day quarentine.
But coming from Florida to many states will have quarantine restrictions. You can go from Rhode Island to Florida, but Florida to Rhode Island will force you to quarantine for 14 days, or get a test with negative results within 72 hours of arriving.

Hence my previous reply. There are too many combinations and we would really need to know the exact itinerary to be able to clearly answer the question.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 23:16   #7

Boat: Caliber Yachts/Caliber 38

Been real busy with selling house. However, current plan is to load up truck with everything including bike. stay in campgrounds in between seeing friends/family. Once in Annapolis, or Newport, or Florida for that matter, air b&b or camp while boat shopping. Closing date Aug 7.
chriskilmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2020, 00:18   #8

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
It seems this is the year of "local". Most people have shelved plans of travelling long distances in favour of "staycations", staying and exploring closer to home, sailing/cruising the local waters.

To me, it seems that with the virus thing not yet manageable and a patchwork of different state rules for movement... it would be a pain in the backside to just travel around, without hard plans.

It might be easier to do as much research as possible online, try to line up candidates in one area, and then travel to that one area and do a bunch of inspecting etc.
Most people?

Different areas of operation I guess, everyone I know is just doing their thing, traveling as they normally would, trying to run their business, I don’t know many who are doing the whole “new normal”, to each their own.

I’ve been all over the US recently, as a free man and someone who has always washed his hands and stayed home if sick, I don’t partake in any of the new hype, so far so good I guess
NorthernMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2020, 10:40   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMac View Post
Most people?

Different areas of operation I guess, everyone I know is just doing their thing, traveling as they normally would, trying to run their business, I don’t know many who are doing the whole “new normal”, to each their own.

I’ve been all over the US recently, as a free man and someone who has always washed his hands and stayed home if sick, I don’t partake in any of the new hype, so far so good I guess
Considering that the US seems intent on just letting'er rip and hopefully getting through it faster... thanks for doing your part, I guess.

As a free man and also a responsible citizen, I have elected to get the best possible information I can find on this coronavirus threat, and to follow what courses of action will protect the most people while creating the least economic disruption. To each their own, as you say.

But yeah, most people, it seems. Maybe not in your circles.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, shopping