Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2008, 05:28   #16

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Some excerpts from the article:

Quote:
Nobody has any illusions that the patrols — which officials say would at first involve only three frigates — will halt piracy through the Gulf of Aden, which is crossed by some 20,000 ships each year.

"Frankly we could put 250 boats out there and we'd never be sure we're free from hostage-takings," said one French defense official on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak publicly on the issue. "It's a little bit like fighting the drugs trade — there's no watertight solution."

He added: "Navy boats can't be everywhere at all times."
Now I wonder where I've heard this before...?
Old 06-10-2008, 06:32   #17

Boat: Lagoon 410 ELECTRIC!
This sounds and looks like more of a PT boat size effort than a battleship blitz. Based on the size of the boats pictured trying to board. I'm not really qualified to discuss this but it would seem that a larger number of smaller boats with a well armed private navy and the right electronics equipment should be able to handle this at a reasonable cost to the shipping (and private) community. This way the military could concentrate on an end around to the home bases both on land and at sea. Smaller boats have the advantage of also being able to slip under the pirate "radar" as fishing vessels as well as lower maintenance and fuel costs. I will admit though, if I was cruising, seeing a carrier coming over the horizon would give me a warm fuzzy feeling.

Steve
Old 06-10-2008, 07:15   #18

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse
I agree about the "mothball" fleet. It is best scrapped or cleaned up for reef projects (when appropriate). Some of our other "retired" ships have actually been sold. I was on the USS Scott (Kidd class Destroyer) which, with the rest of the class, was sold to Taiwan completely outfitted.
Without this thread degenerating, what about the countries becoming more accepting of weapons on board vessels. I know the pirates would outgun me with my Desert Eagle and 30-06 but they might think twice if they know I would take a couple of them out in the attempt.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:53   #19

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
That is my point from the earlier post. A small contingent of heavily armed military on the passage until safe water is reached is easy, cheap, out guns the pirates, and in short order will motivate them to find other work. What is so hard about that?

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 06-10-2008, 10:04   #20
Armchair Bucketeer

Be interesting to see if the Russians go home after the current crisis - or maintain a permanent presence. Or the Chinese turn up to "help" and stay.

I would have thought a couple of Q ships, plus well armed Marines onboard many others (with air support on call) would cut down the size and reach of the available pirate fleet in short order. and if the combined forces of the Western Military can't work out where these folks originate from ashore (in order to drop some "deterence" now and again ) then probably time to ask for yer taxes back.....
Old 06-10-2008, 13:48   #21

Boat: Ranger 22, currently saving for a larger cruising boat
David the way the russians have been acting it will not suprise me one bit if they made a permanant presence and the chinese came to "assist" the russians.
Old 06-10-2008, 16:42   #22

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Hmmm. Do you suppose we could bring back privateering? Think of the commercial opportunities in salvage and insurance settlements. And what a great outlet for all the folks that want to have their vessels fully armed to the teeth. We could even have our own magazine and website. I've always secretly wanted my own cannon aboard. Maybe even a tactical nuke. Yum!
Old 06-10-2008, 18:00   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
We could even have our own magazine and website.
Works for me. Then all this not really about boating conversation would be there - and not here. World domination and politics are really about that other forum. Go there and continue the discussion. Start a MySpace page and go for it. The loons will be there shortly.
Old 06-10-2008, 18:44   #24

Boat: Ranger 32 "Done Deal"
I know this is not a political forum and this might get me a little bit of bashing but here we go....

One thing you have to understand, these folks fully well understand the potential for getting killed. Unfortunately they dont look at it like you and I do, nor do they rationalize it the way we do. To a starving person in a 3rd world country a few million dollars ransom has a big draw. It would take sustained action and sustained force to put a dent in it. Someone mentioned "finding their villages and so on." I find it humorous that we mention using offensive action to attack pirates, do you realize what would happen if one little kid, just one, in one of those villages that were mentioned got killed in "strike" against pirates? Completely on the other end of it, I have trained for "VBSS" (Visit, Board, Search and Seizure) ship take downs and oil platform seizures. It is a difficult and dangerous mission. Who is going to explain the deaths of the Marines or sailors who, and it will happen if they start doing ship take downs, get killed doing it? How about the inevitable hostage deaths that will happen? I can tell you as a Marine, lets do it, thats what I get paid for. But the world will change its view on the action very quickly when folks start getting killed.

I heard a saying once, " I have had my nose broken in a few places........but I finally quit going in those places".......Is it cheaper to pay the ransom or sail around?

Sorry for the rant..

GySgt Clint Summers USMC
Al Taqaddum Iraq
Old 06-10-2008, 18:52   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Sorry for the rant..
Next time don't post it. We really are not a place to rant. You might try the rest - au - RANT down the street.

Sorry folks this thread has done all it could ever hope to. It's now closed.
Closed Thread