Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2013, 10:28   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Roberts V495
Re: Constant Burning of Diesel Heater

Issue with the fuseable link in the carb is that it's proving to be too little too late - as proven by the melted down carbs sitting in the stoves that have runaway.

And Dickinson has responded to the need - as pointed out by Cburger, they've created a much better over temp device, an unpowered temperature sensitive shut off solenoid - visible online at: DickinsonMarine.com - Propane Fireplaces

So to clarify what I think we know:
- the carb has a fuel overflow line that dumps excess fuel when the pressure is too high (greater than 4 psi)
- the carb also has a fusable link that shuts off the fuel when the carb gets too hot.
- occasionally the carb float sinks, creating the potential for runaway

Unfortunately there are about 20 known instances on the BC coast alone where a Dickinson/Signmar (both have this issue) has gone into runaway conditions with no one onboard, the stove has overheated to the point where the carb MELTS, and between insufficient insulation behind the stove and the now uncontrolled release of fuel around a stove that is hot enough to melt the pot metal carb, the boat is destroyed.

In these instances, the fuseable link obviously wasn't enough

I love Dickinson heaters, and wouldn't consider going without on my boat - they provide great dry heat with zero power consumption or noise. The runaway issue is rare, but real - and I won't say that on a cold day, when my wife and I go for a walk, that I'm always going to shut down the stove.
The answer is to install the high temp solenoid Dickinson has now made available to address the issue - and I will be taking a closer look at adding a sheet metal shield between the carb and the fire pot, with the belief the solenoid will better address the runaway issue, and keeping the carb from melting takes priority over getting the fuseable link to let go....
nofacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 12:45   #32
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

In addition to all the great advice above I'll add this. Electric heat is dry heat. I'm guessing that the last thing you need on the Hudson is more moisture in your boat from burning a fuel.
Old 27-01-2013, 16:23   #33

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetGroene View Post
In addition to all the great advice above I'll add this. Electric heat is dry heat. I'm guessing that the last thing you need on the Hudson is more moisture in your boat from burning a fuel.
Seems contrary to what I've read from liveaboards. More than one has stated their boat is like a swamp using electric heat. Humans produce water in their living environment, boil water, take showers, sweat (people exude water all the time.) so the relative humidity goes up. Any heater that burns fuel and has a chimney, all water produced by combustion goes up the chimney. If the combustion air comes from the cabin then you are bringing cold low humidity air in to replace it, lowering the humidity in the boat.

If the electric heat has a little air from outside blowing on it so it warms up then there must be an exchange of air and the humidity would fall.

If you're talking about burning anything where the exhaust goes into the cabin then yes all the fuels are wet.

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 10:42   #34

Boat: Tradwind 35

Have now replaced my diesel heater with a charcoal heater. In comparison between the two the charcoal is far cleaner - no black soot at all and the charcoal leaves only a tiny bit of ash in the dust pan. Very simple set up - no fuel pump, no carb, no electric fan, just drop some charcoal in the burner and boat is toasty with lovely dry heat. Safe as can be - obviously needs ventlation - good for about 10 hours on low heat - but I still would not recommend leaving it running when not on board - what is the point - can be restarted in a few minutes when you return with strong drink bought with the money saved on heater fuel.
Tradewind 35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 11:22   #35
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

if you have reliable shore power i recommend a portable oil filled furnace too .. the 900 watt setting will surprise you .. but maybe not enough for a new york winter?
Old 21-02-2013, 18:09   #36

You should install a fire valve . There are different models available depending on whether you have a water jacket or not (if you have a water jacket it functions as an anti-boil device).

Not new or rocket science apparently they were developed for Spitfire fighter planes.

Dickinson also do the barometric damper arrangement for the flue which solves many of the backdraft problems, it's passive, no fans...

And the ultimate accessory is to sit one of these on top of your hotplate. Beautiful even heat throughout the cabin.

Ciao
Chris
Littlechay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel