Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Health, Safety & Related Gear
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2017, 08:31   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tucker CA41 Steel 40 foot Ketch
Re: Clothing - what to wear in Scotland/Ireland in August?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post

Scotland in August, it just isn't that cold and we got a sun tan one year.

Classic !!!!!
Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:47   #32

Layer up for all possibilities. On a two week summer cruise in the Hebrides a few years back I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt in grand weather (with light winds though). We only had a few days needing all of the above clothing. Hope you have lots of the good stuff.
bumpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:25   #33

Just found this offer for the stormy days: Marinepool Marine Performance 4 Offshore Set - buy cheaper online | 918916 | Compass24, any thoughts?

Even if it lasts 1/2 as long as a Henry Lloyd or Musto, it sounds to be a reasonable deal...
Old 03-07-2017, 20:40   #34

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 41

A lot of what you need depends on what you're used to, and your personal comfortable temperature.

I spent a week sailing in Scotland last August, and never once did I think "I wish I had packed long underwear." On the other hand, my wife packed fancy hi-tech fabric thin "base layer" long underwear, and she was happy she did.

Good wool socks. Shoes/boots that will keep your feet dry. High quality, light to mid weight weather gear">foul weather gear. Gloves.

The temperature isn't so cold that you need much more than long sleeves and pants in the day, and a jacket or sweater at night - as long as you stay dry that is. And you will stay dry, as long as it's not raining; that's when you'll need the high quality light to midweight wet weather suit.

Also, if you haven't tried out your wet weather gear in a while, do yourself a favor and get in the shower with it and see if you stay dry. I found out the hard way that my jacket was no longer as waterproof as it once was. There's nothing like paying full price for the only foul weather jacket in the only marine shop in the small Scottish town you've stopped in to drive that lesson home. But, it was better than spending the next 36 hours wet and miserable.

Finally, if it's a school, which we're all assuming it is: they will have foul weather gear you can rent - which is nice because then you don't have to pack it, you know it's appropriate for the itinerary, and you get to try out a suit for a couple weeks and find out what you do and don't like about that brand/model - a useful baseline for when you do buy.
mogulskibum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clothing, Ireland, Scotland