Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2010, 19:42   #16
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Gecko, if your serious about getting one, pm me. The previous owner had 2 plb's and 3 epirbs on board and I'm sure I don't need that many.
Old 23-03-2010, 19:45   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotte View Post
Thanks jackdale, I didn't realize that - more portable, but with limitations as well.
All of my work is on other people's boats. The PLB makes sense to me.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2010, 20:08   #18

Scotte -

Yes. A PLB can be registered at the Beacon Registration link you provided just like an EPIRB. I have one registered there (A Mcmurdo FastFind Max-G PLB). I include in the "additional information" space my boats name, hail port, CG documentation number, call sign, length, make, color, liferaft and dinghy description, etc.). I'm confident the Coast Guard will see it should they ever need to look (which I dearly hope they don't).

I think there's a substantial safety benefit to carrying two PLB's rather than one EPIRB.

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2010, 01:21   #19
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
If I had a choice, I would just have an PLB (attached to harness or PFD).

I dont have a choice where I live, I am required to have an EPIRB on the vessel so I have the cheapest EPIRB on the boat and the best PLB (w/- GPS) attached to me.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2010, 02:35   #20

Boat: Shuttleworth 31
I've a vague recollection of Mcmurdo EPIRBs and PLBs failing miserably in a test conducted by a survival organisation of some kind except in absolutely perfect conditions...
elhix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2010, 02:41   #21

Boat: Shuttleworth 31
Ah, just had a look around and it seems Mcmurdo have 'upgraded' their units since the (performed by Equipped To Survive).
elhix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 09:11   #22

Boat: 1967 Pearson 35
PLBs should not be confused with EPIRBs, though they can perhaps substitute for an EPIRB in near-shore conditions.

The short-range homing signal on a PLB is useful for finding a MOB if your boat is equipped with a homing device HOWEVER PLBs have enough power to operate for about 24 hours max, which means that in an off-shore emergency rescue situation, by the time the help arrives the PLB may not be working anymore and so there will be no homing signal. Only your approximate location can be found using the 406 satellite beacon.

An EPIRB with a long battery life that is rugged and well-constructed is best safety device for any offshore vessel.
Cyrus Safdari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 09:59   #23

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
There is a difference in battery life, yes.

But here you're confusing the issue:

Quote:
Only your approximate location can be found using the 406 satellite beacon.
You can get EPIRBs and PLBs with or without GPS, and that determines the precision. Otherwise the type of satellite and signals are the same.
Old 26-03-2010, 17:42   #24

Boat: a sailing boat
EPIRB - the hardcore way

BTW

For anybody who REALLY thinks they need an EPIRB (or who thinks they really need one):

- possibly worth thinking of two units - one with the boat, outside, with an auto-deploy lock, the other one packed with the life-raft.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 09:58   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
I have one- packed in the ditch bag, along with a GPS (handheld waterproof) and a VHF (handheld waterproof) Unsure on where I should place the ditch bag. It is currently next to the cockpit door in a locker...
Maybe I should get a Sat phone in there next...
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:15   #26

We purchased two personal epirbs which are attached to our mustang PFDs. I figured that if I'm on the boat, both the boat and us will get rescued, or if we're in the water, they'll find us. Cost under $700 for the pair. Same range as boat mounted, almost the same battery life.
Can someone direct me to a place where I can find a list of things to have in the ditch bag?
rsvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 10:44   #27

Boat: 1967 Pearson 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsvp View Post
Can someone direct me to a place where I can find a list of things to have in the ditch bag?

You can checkout my fantasy ideal ditchbag at The StrandedSailor.com
Cyrus Safdari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 10:49   #28
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
We have the ACR PLB with GPS because it was cheaper than an EPIRB without GPS.
I would prefer to have a 24 hour battery life with GPS than no GPS for 48 hours.

Mine is a slightly older version, I think. without the "I'm OK" sms. (Note there is no button to push that says: "I'm NOT OK. Get your a$$ here QUICK!)

No matter where in the world you sink some navy will have their PC Orion aircraft out over you within 24 hours.

By the way, the GPS test function takes a lot of battery power so they sugest you only do it once. So, of course we havent tested it! I want the full 24 hours If its not going to work you're stuffed anyway, eh? Treading water holding the damn thing...

I note the new one says: "Typical Performance 35 Hours" ACR Products

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:03   #29
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
I agree with Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
We have the ACR PLB with GPS because it was cheaper than an EPIRB without GPS.
I would prefer to have a 24 hour battery life with GPS than no GPS for 48 hours.
I think that the new ARC PLB makes sense for most of us. I'd certainly prefer seeing more boaters have devices such as this one aboard rather than the current situation where so many people go to sea without EPIRBS because of how ridiculously expensive they are.

Bottom line is that a PLB doubles as an EPIRB a lot better than an EPIRB doubles as a PLB.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:36   #30

Boat: Fantasia 35
Mark,

I have an ARC EPIRB with GPS and when I took my one shot at testing it - it failed! Sent it back to ARC and they fixed it but didn't replaced the battery. So now I can't test it and I will still need to get a new battery. Don't you just love ARC's great customer service!!!!!

Paul
Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epirb