Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2016, 09:35   #1

Boat: Norseman 400
Can I take my EPIRB on the plane?

Hi Everyone,
It's time to have the batteries replaced in our ACR GlobalFix iPro 406MHz GPS EPIRB.

However, we are currently cruising in the Sea of Cortez. We wil be flying home to Portland from Hermosillo, Sonora, Mexico soon. According the the ACR website, the only service center in Oregon is in Warrenton at Englund Marine. No problem, we can drive there. And hopefully wait while they perform the service.

My question is: Can I take the EPIRP on the plane in our carry on bag? Being mindful to NOT set it off. I'll put tape over the activation tab. Any special considerations I should be aware of?

On Alaska Airlines 'Prohibited and Restricted Items List' - "Lithium batteries - Checked bags may only contain batteries installed in electronic devices. Lithium batteries are allowed in carry-on bags."

I'm not worried about getting the EPIRB back into Mexico. I'll have the boat records and TIP with us. (The last time we came through, we had an entire new Groco Model K head in two carry-on bags - bowl, base, handle and all. Sailed right through customs. No problem, no charges. LOL)

Thanks for the help!
Sailor647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 09:58   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Can I take my EPIRB on the plane?

Being as it's allowed in carry on bags, I'd say yes.
Be prepared to explain what it is though and be quick to say your taking it home to have the batteries replaced as only a factory authorized service center can do that.
I used to fly often with aircraft avionics as I was ferrying aircraft. As long as you have a plausible story, they were OK, but initially they were very suspicious
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 10:02   #3

Boat: Outbound 44

Before you fly print out the MSDS for the device. It specifies the battery class and indicates that it is safe to fly.
Old 29-06-2016, 08:42   #4

Boat: Swan 432

I went thru this last year with Southworst airlines. The web sites are hopelessly vague, the TSA site says ok but check with the airlines, the SW site says it is ok but check with the TSA. I called SW customer service and they just read the script off the web site. So I printed out the web site page stating that small lithium batteries were ok as carry on and put it in my bag. They scanned the bag a few times but let me thru with my new ACR PLB.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 08:59   #5

Boat: Norseman 400

Thanks, everyone. I'll print out the EPIRB manual, the Airline rules, and give it a go. I'll let y'all know how it goes.
Sailor647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 14:48   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I bought one over from Australia throught the USA in carry on baggage. They all took a close look at it.

I do believe some laws are more restrictive and i woukd have trouble now, but i dont know if that was the Australian part or the USA part.

Pretty stupid, really, as all planes have a few on board...

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2017, 19:23   #7
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Does anyone know if the EU airports have different standards for Epirbs and PFD's than in the States / TSA / Airlines?

I'm flying from Chicago to Paris, then transferring to a different carrier to continue on to Athens. Will the security agents in Paris allow the above devices? Carry On or Checked?
Old 21-07-2017, 11:33   #8

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Ignorance is bliss. We just carried our ACR 406 EPIRB home in checked luggage from Spain to Canada in order to get new batteries installed and have it checked. We had no problems, but didn't declare it either as it didn't occur to either of us that it might be a problem.

I'm wondering how the OP made out bringing his unit into the US?

Upon speaking to the authorized rep here, they told us that replacing the battery would be $544 CAD (about $388 for the battery, plus $125 minimum 1-hr. shop fee, plus environmental fee), plus of course our 15% sales tax. They told us the cost of the battery is so high because it is deemed to be dangerous goods, and as such are very expensive to transport. They were surprised we had managed to get the EPIRB back in our luggage.

They advised that ACR have recently been purchased by Ocean Signal, and recommended that rather than updating the old ACR, that we purchase a new Ocean Signal SeaSafe Cat 2 EPIRB. Ocean Signal's new EPIRBs "are equipped with a non-hazardous user changeable battery" so we would have no problem transporting the EPIRB, and could change the battery ourselves when it becomes due after, I think it was 7 years. You do not have to take the unit into a service facility to have the battery changed; just buy a new one for $195 and screw it in. These EPIRBs are available here for $547 CAD without integrated GPS, or for $812 with GPS.

FYI.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 11:58   #9
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Thank you for the information. I went to the airport and checked with American Airlines and TSA. The PFD's and Epirb are no problem here. So I just decided to change my ticket so I fly from Chicago to Philadelphia to Athens instead of through Paris. It cost a half boat unit but is worth it for the confidence of having the gear arrive with me.

Tags
epirb