Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2017, 10:41   #61

Re: Bow and arrow aboard? Do or dont?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncycle View Post
Funny but this weapon topic is big on my bicycle tours group. I have found that wasp spray, that is available in every country I have toured in, is legal and effective. If you step on my boat, at sea, and uninvited, watch out. It can send a stream the whole length of my boat and more.
I have to put my two cents worth here. I was sitting on my boat in the darkness some late night and some undesirables came along and the conversation was to maybe board and check these boats. I had just that a can of wasp spray close by. I reached for it and stepped out of the boat and the young guys looked at my tall can without knowing what it was and quickly left and never returned. I am not a big guy... so it must have been the can of wasp spray...
seabreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 11:02   #62

Boat: Pearson

try standing in the bed of a pickup on an unpaved road and try to hit a target at 50'while someone drives it at 4-8 mph, then renotch another arrow, reshoot... hand to hand with a machete, axe, knife WOW.. and im a vietnam combat vet. A shotgun tells no lies. a 25 cal flare gun does damage close up. do your self a meaning full favor avoid pirates and smugglers they are ruthless....just my nickel,two cents dosent doesnt go that far,assume nothing is my motto.
Old 09-02-2017, 11:20   #63

We have our two wooden bows and a couple dozen arrows. A katana we'll see what happens. We sold or gave away everything and our boat is our home. And I couldn't part with some things.!!
Oh by the way ... we also have two complete Viking costumes (made by us) Cow blowing and drinking horns.
also a dirndl dress for my wife and lederhosen for me. So if we're bored w can sail as Vikings or the almdudler pair!!! 😂😂😂😂
WilliErnszt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 11:31   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

A Katana? A recreation I assume?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 12:27   #65

Boat: Present 38 trunk deck trawler

How about "ramming speed." I carry no weapons, but if the approaching boat(s) are unfriendly and small enough, I might push the throttle all the way forward and try to sink them with my trawler. Any thoughts?
Old 09-02-2017, 14:38   #66

Boat: Coronet Oceanfarer30

Although I fully agree with avoiding reported problematic areas, I'm from a 16 year Military background and carry a Glock, a good knife as well as having a shotgun handy.

There is just no real alternative to my mind. It commands respect especially if you know how to use it. Body language goes a long way...

Frankly I wont feel comfortable without it although the grandkids cant stop laughing when they see me
Fortunately I havent been in a compromising position thus far ...
Ironman162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 15:06   #67
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Bow and arrow aboard? Do or dont?

Try a crossbow with alloy shafts.. drill out the centre of the shafts, tamp with gunpowder and shot then top it of with and impact detonator.. C4 would be better but harder to get than shotgun cartridges..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 15:15   #68

Iron Man ,I like the way you think . I am so over the" Nanny State"! Standing there like a target trying to shoot a Bow while the opposition will be squirting serious hot steel at you , Come on get real! If you put yourself in harms way, you should have the where with all to get out of harms way, not with a can of spray!
Barney21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 15:38   #69
RPZ

With sprays of any kind you only want to use them in no wind at all, or strictly downwind.

Petrol in a very fragile glass bottle followed by a flare might be useful in some circumstances. If you are going to use any type of flammable liquid and ignition make sure you don't get doused yourself - or your boat for obvious reasons.

People from third world countries are often terrified of snakes. A few largish but harmless "pet" black snakes could be kept onboard. Place in pillow case, toss into pirate skiff, watch the pandamonium. Only problem might be customs in certain countries - check beforehand.

If they have guns, and you don't, you're in a real jam.

Whatever you have, do, probably wise to record the incident from the moment you identify their approach. If there are any casualties, fatal or not, their story is probably going to describe you as the antagonist, and their description of chain of events is not going to match yours to any investigating agency.
RPZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 15:49   #70
Marine Service Provider

Interesting. I thought about Molotov Cocktails. Made many of them as a kid, but real easy to set your own boat on fire. If they wound you and you drop the Molo on the deck, well, not good.

If you are serious about self-defense, at home or on a boat, a inexpensive 12 gauge shotgun (like a Mossberg ATP 500) with 00Buck and (not or) a pistol (I prefer the Colt 1911 45ACP or its variants) carried on board in a suitable lockup. Most countries (except Mexico) have reasonable rules on guns. Some will pick them up on clearing in and return them to you on clearing out. Some will allow them to stay on board in a secure lockup. Just don't take them out (unless needed) while in their waters and don't ever take them ashore in a foreign country.

Something that should be perfectly legal and would be expected to be found on a boat is wasp & hornet spray. It provides a concentrated stream, not a mist, and is accurate up to twenty feet or more. A full-face hit at ten to twenty feet would be temporarily blinding to a single assailant but with no lasting effect. Time enough get out the fish billy if needs a little more roughing up.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 15:55   #71

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig

I too was considering a bow but for fishing?
Not Pirate Attacks.
For that, I have Bear repellent. And also one other solution when moored in unknown waters, is mounting a removable electric fence in suspect areas. It would be mounted on my boats safety rails. I'm considering building a simple retractable electric fence wire made from carbon or stainless wire run along the safety lines with insulator clips connect to a solar cattle electric zapper most have a build in solar rechargeable battery with an Off and On switch. This setup may be useful when leaving your boat unintended. The ground wire would be lower in the water with a lead sinker.

So far my research shows it is possible to adapt the cattle electric fence for this application, as they would be simple to make up, weatherproof
inexpensive use very little power, proven technology as farmers use them to keep livestock in check.

I would like to know if anyone has experience or considered this circle of protection as a solution for their boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
Hello friends,

Does anyone has experience in having o board a bow and arrows? I personaly dont like fire arms et.c, but thought that having a bow and arrows (and lots of practice) could be a legal and efficient deterent with regards to possible/eminent pirate attacks. Also, to clear in and out islands and countries visiting this could be easier than guns and the likes. Any experience/comments?
Thanks
Pieter
SV Lumina
Lumina Charters – Brazilian Coastal Catamaran Sailing
kryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 16:01   #72

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

What Chris Mac said. I used to bow hunt, and he is obviously a much better marksman than I was. On a rolling boat, forget it.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 16:02   #73
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Bow and arrow aboard? Do or dont?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryg View Post
I too was considering a bow but for fishing?
Not Pirate Attacks.
For that, I have Bear repellent. And also one other solution when moored in unknown waters, is mounting a removable electric fence in suspect areas. It would be mounted on my boats safety rails. I'm considering building a simple retractable electric fence wire made from carbon or stainless wire run along the safety lines with insulator clips connect to a solar cattle electric zapper most have a build in solar rechargeable battery with an Off and On switch. This setup may be useful when leaving your boat unintended. The ground wire would be lower in the water with a lead sinker.

So far my research shows it is possible to adapt the cattle electric fence for this application, as they would be simple to make up, weatherproof
inexpensive use very little power, proven technology as farmers use them to keep livestock in check.

I would like to know if anyone has experience or considered this circle of protection as a solution for their boat.
It'll play havoc with your alloys.. just one night of mild leakage from my bow nav lights eroded my aluminium toe rail badly..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 16:06   #74

Boat: Prout 46

If you are chased by pirates turn your boat around and ram them and if you miss they may think you was trying to surrender. Bullets coming at you head on are likely to do less harm.
John Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 16:06   #75

Boat: Mariner 40 Ketch

The chance of being borded by pirates is pretty slim in less you are in a area known for pirates. I think doing anything to defend myself would be against the loan thief that's trying to steal something, they are usually not armed with a gun and run at the first sign of a fight. In that case a big stick, nunchucks ( which I have several onboard) or a big Ugly knife scares them away hahaha