Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 13:04   #1

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Bahama Pharmacy Laws

Hi,

My wife and I will be starting a cruise in the bahamas in the next year or so. Both of us take some prescription meds. My wife takes blood pressure medication and I take a lipid-lowering pill.

Are drugs like this available over the counter or are they prescription only in the bahamas?

Thanks,

zboss
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 13:19   #2

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: Bahama Pharmacy Laws

Get you doctor to give ya a 90 day script !! Thats what Connie and I do ! If your gonna be gone longer then that maybe someone knows what ya need in the bahamas to get what ya need
Old 03-03-2013, 13:22   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Take an adequate supply with you.
Old 03-03-2013, 14:03   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Cruisers taking prescription medications should make sure they have enough to last during the trip, and bring a copy of the prescription(s) with you. Always carry medications in their original containers.
You can fill prescriptions (for non-controlled drugs like Enalopril & Rosuvastatin Calcium) at local pharmacies, as long as you have a doctor’s signature. Full-service pharmacies are available throughout New Providence and Grand Bahamas.

See ➥ Bahamas Pharmacy Council

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 14:03   #5

Boat: Bristol 34

Your doctor can fax a prescription refill to a Bahamian pharmacy, but be prepared to wait a few days for it to be verified. Unlike most Latin countries the Bahamas have strict prescription requirements and prescription / OTC meds are basically the same as in the US. You can also visit a Bahamian doctor for about $20 who can usually write you a prescription for a documented chronic illness. A notarized letter from your home doctor describing your condition and medications might help speed up the process.
rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 14:06   #6

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Take with you a 90-day supply with one refill; the most doctors can prescribe you, for non Class II drugs. You need to take with you, the generic name equivalent of your medications, if they are not already listed on your prescription bottles. Newer medications do not have generic equivalent; they maybe substituted, with a few exceptions. Outside the US, you will find generics more so available than name brand drugs. In some countries, pain killer drugs are not available. See if your doctor can give you a week's supply of Vicodin/Hydrocodone or Tylenol 3, to be used in case of an emergency. Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 13:04   #7

We will be in the Bahamas more than 90 days so a 90 day prescription would have to be refilled. I actually got the answers I was looking for... thanks!
Old 07-03-2013, 08:43   #8

We found getting any kind of prescription medicine in the Bahamas to be more trouble than it was worth. When my wife's prescription ran out, I actually flew back to Ft. Lauderdate from Staniel Cay on Watermaker airlines to get her perscriptions refilled. Not the most economical way to do it, but almost the easiest.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:09   #9

Boat: gulfstar ketch 41 Surya

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
We will be in the Bahamas more than 90 days so a 90 day prescription would have to be refilled. I actually got the answers I was looking for... thanks!
Care to share ???
S/V_Surya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 17:01   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V_Surya View Post
Care to share ???
The "plan" is to head down late fall after the boat show">Annapolis boat show and stay until may-ish. However, we are not in a hurry and have a sliding widow.

This will be the shakedown cruise and have us returning to the chesapeake in May 2014 to complete our refit and do whatever else needs doing during the summer and fall of 2014 (maybe selling the house for example ) . We will work over the summer and fall before heading out in ernest when the hurricane season starts to close again.

Other than that... we don't have any solid plans. We will go where we care to go.

We think we can get the doc to write us scripts for double the dosage and then just cut the pills in half. At least, that was another option presented to us.
Old 10-03-2013, 17:43   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
We will be facing the same issues. Our doc will gladly write scrips for more than 90 days. Try asking.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 17:45   #12

Cutting the dosage in half is one way of doing it. Another way, is to let someone pick up your prescriptions and ship them (FedEx) to General Delivery post office/hotel address in the Bahamas, for pickup. Only caveat...cannot ship Class II medications (Opiates based pain killers). Mauritz
Old 10-03-2013, 17:53   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Cutting the dosage in half is one way of doing it. Another way, is to let someone pick up your prescriptions and ship them (FedEx) to General Delivery post office/hotel address in the Bahamas, for pickup. Only caveat...cannot ship Class II medications (Opiates based pain killers). Mauritz
I don't know why I didn't mention that. My Crestor scrip is 20 but I only take 10. I have a pill splitter so I double my number of days. saves $$ too if your doctor will work with you.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 18:14   #14

Technically speaking, a physician is required to prescribe you just the amount needed to get your condition(s) under control; refills at his/her discretion. By prescribing you a double dosage, for your convenience, he/she risks of losing their DEA license. In addition, this amounts to "insurance fraud". In the event that your condition worsens, the labels on the medication bottles will hunt the prescribing physician if the case goes to trial. (Life is complicated, huh!) <Board Certified> Mauritz
Old 10-03-2013, 19:04   #15

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader

I get a 180 day supply before leaving home.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote