Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2021, 04:56   #16

Boat: Challenger 32 1974
Re: Attaching a 2 year old to my sailboat...

Ours used to play under the dining table which protected her from things falling off the shelves when we got too exhuberant.
She sailed from birth, most of the time asleep in a cocoon when really young. That was restrained on one of the berths by safety netting tied tight from end to end of the berth, top and bottom, which put it into long curved shape so the cocoon could never fall out or endanger her.
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigander View Post
Looking at a safety harness for my grandson. For anyone with experience in this where are you attaching the tether while they are in the cockpit?
Thanks!
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 14:34   #17

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I'd like to add here, that there are drown proofing classes for kids. Your child is a little old for them, but I'd talk to a teacher anyway. It is that, for back up, you'd panic a little less if the child did go overboard, or falls into a swimming pool or river. Belts and suspenders.

Some friends of ours determined that if they took their kids sailing, the adults, too, would wear life jackets. Lots of extra things you can do to make life easier on the kids.

Ann
Old 02-05-2021, 16:25   #18

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

recall racing on our boat at the time (26'), with 1 yo in bassinet and 2yo free ranging. everytime we tacked the bassinet would slide to the leeward side with a thump - which was kinda startling to the occupant

however the 2yo big sister (also sliding to the leeward side) was there patting little brother and telling him all was ok (big sister subsequently had her own boat and the little guy went on to do 2 hobarts)

good times...

cheers,
Old 03-05-2021, 05:51   #19

Boat: Currently boatless

As an aside, while shopping with my wife and our very active (is there any other kind?) 3YO, I was accosted by a woman who accused me of mistreating my son by keeping him on a harness. When I countered with a straight face that he was my "seeing eye boy", she shut up and left. Several decades later, I still get a chuckle out of the memory of her face.
Ken Pole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat