Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2015, 08:41   #1

Boat: Club Sailor; various
Asian Weather Gear?

I've been looking for a new Coastal/Off Shore Jacket and so far it appears all the name manufacturers make their clothing in Asia (West Marine - China; Musto - China, Gil - Viet Nam).

Does anyone make gear using factories and labor in a country that actually sails? (US, Great Britain, Scandinavia, New Zealand, Australia, etc)

)
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 13:42   #2

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra
Re: Asian Weather Gear?

It seems that Guy Cotten (guycotten.com) clothes are still made in South Brittany.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 07:26   #3

I now try and avoid overpriced named gear.

The reason for this, is the best two piece waterproof and breathable oversuit I have ever had for motorcycling, was a two piece golfing waterproof set I picked up for £18 from a seller on Ebay.

You would not believe the storms I have ridden through with that suit on, and it has never let a drop of water in. Downpours so hard, that rain was bouncing up to chest level while on the autobahn, and doing 70+ mph.

The breathability was so efficient, perhaps the only downside was the evaporative cooling as moisture was wicked out through the breathable fabric. Frankly, I wish I could get a new set (product and advertiser no longer on Ebay).

So in a similar vein, I have just ordered a breathable wickable base layer set (longjohns and long sleeved top) along with a breathable well insulated jacket, with the right sort of hood and stand up for the lower face, good looking protective overlap for the front zip, etc., and matching bib and brace trousers (well insulated, breathable, etc), in blaze orange for high visibility, from Cabela's (items presently massively discounted, but they are still making a handsome profit, and it is clear to see that many sellers sell the same stuff with different labels on it and different coloured but otherwise identical fabrics and insulation).

Yeah deep winter hunting gear, good down to temperatures the sea would be frozen solid. I'll pick up some fine weather equivalents along the way.

Knowing how little it costs to make such stuff in Asia (a friend is an importer, and you would not believe how cheap superb quality designer shirts cost, for instance), so I am not playing any stupid overpriced games any more.

I'll find a nice fleece based mid layer setup to go with it all at some point.

Jacket, bib and brace, plus base layer items, plus delivery, totalled £147.

There is no excuse for anybody charging any more than that, no matter what stupid name they choose to put on the label (motorcycle clothing and safety products are similarly chronically overpriced, plus, as I have recently found, equipment for the disabled is too - for example a Care Home type electric, fully adjustable bed, with mattress and delivery, is frequently over £2,000! I obtained an IDENTICAL one - same manufacturer and same model - for my father with no flashy name tag, for £499 inclusive of everything).

Caveat Emptor - there be Dragons about.
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 11:06   #4

Boat: Club Sailor; various

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribbit View Post
I now try and avoid overpriced named gear.

The reason for this, is the best two piece waterproof and breathable oversuit I have ever had for motorcycling, was a two piece golfing waterproof set I picked up for £18 from a seller on Ebay.

You would not believe the storms I have ridden through with that suit on, and it has never let a drop of water in. Downpours so hard, that rain was bouncing up to chest level while on the autobahn, and doing 70+ mph.

The breathability was so efficient, perhaps the only downside was the evaporative cooling as moisture was wicked out through the breathable fabric. Frankly, I wish I could get a new set (product and advertiser no longer on Ebay).

So in a similar vein, I have just ordered a breathable wickable base layer set (longjohns and long sleeved top) along with a breathable well insulated jacket, with the right sort of hood and stand up for the lower face, good looking protective overlap for the front zip, etc., and matching bib and brace trousers (well insulated, breathable, etc), in blaze orange for high visibility, from Cabela's (items presently massively discounted, but they are still making a handsome profit, and it is clear to see that many sellers sell the same stuff with different labels on it and different coloured but otherwise identical fabrics and insulation).

Yeah deep winter hunting gear, good down to temperatures the sea would be frozen solid. I'll pick up some fine weather equivalents along the way.

Knowing how little it costs to make such stuff in Asia (a friend is an importer, and you would not believe how cheap superb quality designer shirts cost, for instance), so I am not playing any stupid overpriced games any more.

I'll find a nice fleece based mid layer setup to go with it all at some point.

Jacket, bib and brace, plus base layer items, plus delivery, totalled £147.

There is no excuse for anybody charging any more than that, no matter what stupid name they choose to put on the label (motorcycle clothing and safety products are similarly chronically overpriced, plus, as I have recently found, equipment for the disabled is too - for example a Care Home type electric, fully adjustable bed, with mattress and delivery, is frequently over £2,000! I obtained an IDENTICAL one - same manufacturer and same model - for my father with no flashy name tag, for £499 inclusive of everything).

Caveat Emptor - there be Dragons about.
Thanks for raising my awareness. Went to Ebay and picked up some "cheap" hunting/fishing gear for about 15-20% what similar clothing would cost at West Marine and I'm pretty confident it'll do the job. Motorcycling garments would also work. Can't believe I didn't think of it before.

OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 12:05   #5

Boat: Sandibar 35

Marinepool at least has a factory in Haapsalu Estonia. Not sure which products are made in that particular location, but was tempted to try go snoop around, when we were in the local marina, which is just a 100 meters from their front door.

Have a coastal set from them and pretty happy with it for the price.
Sandibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 15:18   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFrog75 View Post
Thanks for raising my awareness. Went to Ebay and picked up some "cheap" hunting/fishing gear for about 15-20% what similar clothing would cost at West Marine and I'm pretty confident it'll do the job. Motorcycling garments would also work. Can't believe I didn't think of it before.

Good on you. May it serve you well!
Old 06-11-2015, 08:35   #7

Update on my order with Cabela's. I am stunned at the service - I went for surface shipping to save a bit, as I don't need the kit until early next year. Ordered 28th Oct, expecting delivery 8 to 12 weeks later. It all arrived today (6th Nov). I got hit with import duty but that was ok (37 quid). Still saved huge.

Blaze Orange Jacket is AGO (made in Vietnam).

Blaze Orange Bib and Brace is Herter's (made in Vietnam).

Blaze Orange Silent Suede Gloves is Cabela's (made in China).

Heat Last Therma Fleece two piece base layer set (made in China).

Have tried the Jacket, Bib and Brace, and gloves on. They are soft touch (not a hard fabric external shell) for quiet movement, and remind me very much of the two piece golf suit that has given me 7+ years of dependable service with heavy use (it rains a lot here). If like the golf set, the outer layer will look soaking wet, but nothing will get through - this can mean rapid evaporative wicking, so if overheating I'll just get it wet and rapidly cool down. I had a one piece suit base layer for motorcycling, and on hot days would pull over and pour water down my neck to get the suit wet. When the very nice cooling effects wore off, I'd stop and wet it again. This suit is very warm, very comfy, and very visible.

The jacket collar comes up to my nose plus enough more if I want it (don't want a tip of nose freezing), 185g insulation body, 125g sleeves, 60g hood). Nice peaked detachable hood. Nice handwarmer pockets and 'cargo' pockets over them, one zip up breast pocket, no internal pockets, pockets are decently useful size.
Link for reference, and plenty of reviews, I can't fully recommend personally until I have had at least a few years use
A.G.O. Men's Blaze Parka : Cabela's

Bib and brace has two waist pockets, 125g insulation.
Again can't fully recommend yet as no long term use, link for reference, etc:
A.G.O. Men's Blaze Bibs : Cabela's

Gloves have 200g Thinsulate on the backs and 100g Thinsulate on the palms.
Again link for reference, etc:
Cabela's Men's Silent-Suede™ Gloves with Thinsulate™ and 4MOST DRY-PLUS® : Cabela's

These do exceed what I was looking for, and to say I am delighted would be an understatement.

Also had delivery of two mid layer Gelert microfleece tops (which were an absolute steal on Amazon UK), and I have equivalent long johns on their way.

If I am out of the wind behind a sprayhood and dodgers, I will probably overheat rapidly if I wear all the layers (can always leave one or two out). Have also grabbed a lighter weight same style jacket with less insulation (found it dirt cheap on Amazon here), for when it is almost T shirt and jeans type weather, and a thick pullover may be over the top (though it can work with a thick pullover as well, if it gets cold rapidly - which frequently happens on the water, where you can get the shivers in no time flat).

Some Damart thermal socks to wear inside deck boots, and I should be about there now, and all of it for nottalottadosh. Ok Blaze Orange may not work for fashionphiles, but it works for me.

if the stuff doesn't prove to be durable and effective, I'll try and remember to update this.

Tags
Asia, gear, weather