Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2010, 20:07   #1

Question Arthritis and the Ocean

Does living on a boat make arthritis worse? "Tiger Balm" seems to really help this landlubber
"If a man must be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most. A small craft is not only beautiful, it is seductive and full of strange promise and the hint of trouble." E.B White
allen007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 21:12   #2

Boat: Just bought a Cape Dory 25. LOVE IT!!
Arthritis Aboard

Unfortunately, if you are living in a damp, cool climate, arthritis can be more bothersome if living on a boat. Even when my husband and I cruise in the summer time in the San Juans and Inside Passage, after about three weeks his back begins creaking!

You might want to try Oil of Oregano. Check it out. It can be taken internally and also rubbed into the skin. It makes a gigantic difference to my husband.
moonlightmesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 22:35   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
i find that what makes me happy and comfortable makes the athritis not hurt so badly.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 22:46   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
I've gotten a bit creaky as I've officially reached the SS age. The floor keeps getting further away and the joints just don't want to bend like they used to.

I just finished a solo TransPac and was surprized that all my aches and pains jumped off the boat in Sausalito and didn't come back till I was in Hilo, HI for a couple of days. Didn't have any aches or pains even after getting tossed around a bit and taking a few tumbles on the passage. Don't know why other than I may have been forced to flex the joints constantly and keep them loose.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:41   #5

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
Swimming every day for a good 1/2 hr really helps, but just being on a boat and moving around is good. Take advil.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:01   #6
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
My wife has serious spinal problems. Arthritis is the least of them. One of the reasons we moved to the Caribbean is that when we were cruising full time down here, she found her pain level to be less than back in Virginia. We attribute that to three things: consistently warm temperatures, the ability to do water aerobics every day, and the fact that the day-to-day atmospheric pressure changes here are much less pronounced in both frequency and amplitude than back in the States.

I ran that last theory by our Internist, and he agreed that it probably has some validity. For example, when Earl passed nearby recently, the pressure dropped about 12 millibars, and then rose fairly quickly. My wife reported a noticeable increase in her pain level during that time period.

So, the answer for you may be, "Buy a boat and sail it to the Tropics".
Old 08-09-2010, 11:09   #7

hud--i can understand that--my hands donot like sudden anythings and love sun--we havent had any this year--so i ma not as good as when i am at sea and comfy ina sailing boar sailing my fool arse off....even with using my hands out there i still have less pain and loss of function than when i am home just fixing boat and waiting to leave......i have reynaud's disease so my arthritis is a slightly different kind--related to blood flow rather than bone inflammation--i get tendon and soft tissue irritation working on my joints and muscles instead of bone inflammation making the pains...
in mexico there is a tee--red elephant tree--the tea from the bark of this tree will make arthritis disappearr--it even helped mine for a long time...the indios swear by it and it does work for traumatic and other forms of arthritis---friend of mine had permanent results--longer than 5 yrs-from one use--is to be drunk every day 2 times per day for 15 days then stop.
it works.
i didnt believe it until i tried it.
Old 08-09-2010, 14:53   #8

Thanks all! Great info at these forums, much appreciate your thoughts here. A little surprised no one mentioned a nightcap or two after dark...
"If a man must be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most. A small craft is not only beautiful, it is seductive and full of strange promise and the hint of trouble." E.B White
allen007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 15:18   #9

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen007 View Post
Thanks all! Great info at these forums, much appreciate your thoughts here. A little surprised no one mentioned a nightcap or two after dark...

Seems most sailors have that nightcap and so would not know since there is no control to test against.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 16:12   #10

Boat: Boro Temptress 10.4 metres .
:-)

You mean I won't need my nightcap or two ( taken for purely medicinal purposes) , if we sail to the tropics? Hmmmmmmmm do I add that to the pro or con list?

A :-)
watergypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 16:20   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
I found when sailing in the Caribbean that the arthritis in my lower back didn't bother me at all and it didn't bother me for a while after returning home to the Northland.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 16:38   #12

the night cap is important--gotta keep up the good habits that do the good work of prevention.